H20 Setup With 3LNB Oval Dish Question?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GLBorchert

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
I've had both D* and E* (it's a long story) but have decided to drop E* and convert completely to D*. Since I need to add three HD receivers it didn't make much sense to buy H10's and then have to tear everything out in a couple of months. So I bought H20's at my local Circuit City. (H20's are in-stock and available at local CC's and BB's even though I live in Dallas and we don't yet have MPEG4 capability.) I was surprised to read in the H20 manual that "To view HD programming you’ll need a 5 LNB Multi-Satellite dish antenna—MPEG4 and Ka/Ku compatible."

I presume this is not the case as I have read on this forum that folks in other non-upgraded areas are using H20's with 3LNB Oval Dishes. At least I think I've read that, right??

Please advise if you know the answer to this question as I just spent 20 minutes on hold with two different D* CSR's who didn't have clue one.

I have this set up. Seems to work ok except for locals. I have off air antenna but lose locals from time to time. I just beginning to learn about the H20 and 5lnb set up. cant really answer for sure if h20 and 3lnb is ok to match?

OK. I answered my own question. A higher-level D* CSR Manager called me back and said that the H20 will work with the Phase III antenna. She said that I'll need the 5LNB dish and the new 6x8 switch to get locals when they're available, but that I can get all the content I get now with the H20.

I'm in Chicago and have the H20 with my OTA & 3 LNB dish. Everything works fine. I've had zero problems ( knock on wood ) HD locals look excellent with OTA attached. ;)

Please---

:eek:
GLBorchert said:
OK. I answered my own question. A higher-level D* CSR Manager called me back and said that the H20 will work with the Phase III antenna. She said that I'll need the 5LNB dish and the new 6x8 switch to get locals when they're available, but that I can get all the content I get now with the H20.

When does any CSR ever --ever-- call anyone back!! Hard to believe. I am on my 4th H10 and have logged HOURS with the CSRs and still have problems. What a joke!

I install atleast five h-10's a week. And if you are on your 4th. There is something wrong at your house, that is causing the issue. I have gotten one bad ird (H-10) in six months. Please ellaborate what you problems are. Maybe we can help.

Help me out crappieguy. I have a H10 and all of my HD channels on sat 110 pixelate terribly making it unwatchable. The HD channels on 101 and 119 are fine...not to mention my OTA HD channels are perfect. My signal strength on 110 is 91, 93, 95.

Is the LNB bad? The receiver? What is it? DTV says it is a nationwide problem but no one here is complaining about it.

I am a new DTV customer of 3 months and came over for Sunday ticket from Dish network. I may be going back.

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be my multiplexer. The signal was good as well but something was happening in the switching electronics and it would go brain dead. This was an external 5X8 Terk model but I could see it happening for the internal one as well.

Deke50 said:
I live in MIchigan, If I go out and buy the H20, will Directv give me a full rebate when I activate the box?

Deke50
The REBATE starts 11/25/05 if you activate the H20 before then you don't qualify unless you are in the Detroit market their rebates started 10/16/05 :) :) :)

tx_dude said:
Help me out crappieguy. I have a H10 and all of my HD channels on sat 110 pixelate terribly making it unwatchable. The HD channels on 101 and 119 are fine...not to mention my OTA HD channels are perfect. My signal strength on 110 is 91, 93, 95.

Is the LNB bad? The receiver? What is it? DTV says it is a nationwide problem but no one here is complaining about it.

I am a new DTV customer of 3 months and came over for Sunday ticket from Dish network. I may be going back.
Tell me a little more about your system, how many receivers on system? Any external switches? What about your cabling is it rg6 and the connectors, have you taken them apart and looked inside to make sure there is no corrosion? Also I have had home wiring issues cause that problem. With this receiver having a 3prong plug sometimes the ground inside a home carried excessive residual voltage and these rec are VERY susceptible to stray power. Or i have had so-called electricians cross the neutral and ground since they look like they are the same in the box put them together and that causes problems too. Hmmmm is any of your cabling buried? If so has there been any tilling or anything. There are so many possibilities they are endless without looking at the system. But I will try to help just keep me posted with info.

This is a brand new house. I went up in the attic and traced the coax out and there is no damage anywhere. I even pulled a coax from another room into my living room just to make sure, same problem. Nothing is buried or damaged. I called Directtv again and they overnighted me a H20 for free as long as I payed $15 shipping. I figured not bad for the new system. Well...I got it today and the problem is still there. Only on the HD channels on 110. One thing I did notice is the signal strength with the H20 is lower than the H10. I don't understand that.

Anyway, I climbed onto the roof and switched the location of the coax on the multiswitch. I did notice that the LNB had quite a few scrapes (probably from bouncing around in the installers truck). I then went inside and watched the signal strength on 110 transponders. I did notice that the signal would go from 77 to 0 and then back again occasionally. I am chalking it up to a bad lnb, multiswitch. I ordered a new one on EBAY today.

Also, I got an extension cord and plugged the receiver into another outlet to check the grounding issue. That didn't help.

Hopefully replacing the LNB will fix this. Why do you think the H10 shows my signal strength in the 90s and the H20 in the 70s? My PVR in the bedroom shows it in the high 80s and low 90s.

tx_dude said:
This is a brand new house. I went up in the attic and traced the coax out and there is no damage anywhere. I even pulled a coax from another room into my living room just to make sure, same problem. Nothing is buried or damaged. I called Directtv again and they overnighted me a H20 for free as long as I payed $15 shipping. I figured not bad for the new system. Well...I got it today and the problem is still there. Only on the HD channels on 110. One thing I did notice is the signal strength with the H20 is lower than the H10. I don't understand that.

Anyway, I climbed onto the roof and switched the location of the coax on the multiswitch. I did notice that the LNB had quite a few scrapes (probably from bouncing around in the installers truck). I then went inside and watched the signal strength on 110 transponders. I did notice that the signal would go from 77 to 0 and then back again occasionally. I am chalking it up to a bad lnb, multiswitch. I ordered a new one on EBAY today.

Also, I got an extension cord and plugged the receiver into another outlet to check the grounding issue. That didn't help.

Hopefully replacing the LNB will fix this. Why do you think the H10 shows my signal strength in the 90s and the H20 in the 70s? My PVR in the bedroom shows it in the high 80s and low 90s.

Yes it sounds as a bad LNB, Do you have the Directv Protection Plan ?
If you would of have it, directv would of fixed it for free :)

Yes there are signal differances between the H10 & H20

No protection plan. I will post with the results of the new LNB to let everyone know. I figured it would cost me more than $43 dollars to have them send me one or someone else do it. I got the whole dish for that price.

Dealing withe CSRs can be a bit frustrating, I've found after dealing with these clowns since '94. Your best bet is hanging up and calling right back, and dealing with a "qualaified" rep who knows what the hell they're doing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)