H20 single line install. What am I missing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kjmiv

Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Hello everyone,
Longtime lurker looking for help. I've simply never had anything to add here. You guys do a great job and explain things much better than I can so I've been mum.

Here's my situation;

Receiver:H20
Dish type: Slimline 3LNB swm

I currently have Directv and I am finally upgrading to HD. I've just never had it. Purchased the new Slimline dish with the Power Inverter (PI21R1-3) and the multi splitter (msplit4R1-3). I have the new dish mounted with a clear line of sight. Cable comes off the dish and goes into the PI IRD input. It leaves the PI power to sam output and goes to the multi splitter input. It leaves the splitter and heads to the H20 box.

I've changed the settings on my box to "Dish type. 17- slimline 3 s" and "Switch type-swm".

This all seems pretty straight forward and simple. What am I missing? I am picking up 0's. I can put the old tip on the new dish and get 90's on 101. I put on the 3LNB and I can't get anything. I feel like an idiot. Thanks for the help.

Kraig

If you didn't misspeak, it is connected wrong.

ODU = Dish
IRD = Receiver

With one box you don't need the splitter.

When you say 3LNB what do you mean? An SL3 has three LNB's under one lens. An SL5 has that lens plus two more on the offset wing. Are you sure it is SWM? If so, it will just have one connector. If four, you'll need a BBC too. What is the old tip? More interested in what you seeing on the 99 and 103.

I am at work so I can't check the connections but I don't think I misspoke. I'm guessing that it is hooked up wrong as I took notes on my phone so I could write this later. Also, I guess I am referring to the entire dish as slimline 3s. The LNB is a single lens with one connector. I think I misused some terminology here. Are my settings okay for the box? I'll try rewiring once I get home. I'll keep you posted.

:welcome to Satelliteguys kjmiv!

It does sound like you have reversed the power inserter connections. From the dish, go to the swm connection, then from the connection marked ird, go to the H20. Don't connect a bbc. Plug in the power inserter first, then the H20. If you have only the H20, don't use a splitter, just go from the power inserter to the H20.

Hello,
I changed everything around and it is hooked up like above. I did get rid of the splitter since I only have one box. I powered everything on as described in sequence. No luck. It doesn't recognize a signal. I changed out the new HD tip with the old LNB tip and got 97-100's on the signal meter for sat 101 on the new dish. The dish alignment has got to be close. I then put the new HD tip on. Nothing. I then borrowed a known working tip and tried that. No luck. I am stumped.

When you say old tip, what one do you mean, the lnb? Do you have a model number?

I do not have a model number. It is older. Looking on eBay I think it is a DX54. I didn't take a picture of it so I'll have to get back up there. It does have multiple cable outputs and multiple "heads"?

When you connected the old lnb, did you disconnect the power inserter? You said you checked the connections on it and they are now correct, yes? It's possible the lnb was damaged when it was hooked up incorrectly, but you said another one that is good wouldn't work.

Yes, when I connected the old LNB I disconnected the PI. The connections are now correct and I have used a known, working LNB without success.

It sees the 101, 110, and 119. Your SL3 does the 99, 101, and 103.

It has to be a bad SL3 or a bad PI. Do you have a voltmeter where you see if it is pushing 21V? When the SL3 is connected do you get a signal when SWM is selected on the Signal Meter page in Setup. Menu -> Settings and Help -> Settings -> Sat and Antenna -> View Signal Strength

Here's a thought, what satellite are you aiming for? The Slimline should be pointing at the 101, the Phase III aims at 110.

I didn't think you could use a SlimLine LNB on an old PhaseIII dish? Wrong reflect angles.. All dish types are not the same.

Actually, it is done all the time for tailgating/camping setups. I swapped in a "Dish" 1000.2 and works even better. Look at my avatar.

Here's a thought, what satellite are you aiming for? The Slimline should be pointing at the 101, the Phase III aims at 110.

I thought he said he had good signal for the 101. I kind of thought he was using the Phase III LNB on a Slimline but don't really know.

Actually, it is done all the time for tailgating/camping setups. I swapped in a "Dish" 1000.2 and works even better.

sounds and looks like it must a headache vs the appropriate dish (which it was I was referring to over home-grown dishes) seeing it takes all of about 15m to aim one already installed even with no meter; just a compass and your eyes; but I digress

sounds and looks like it must a headache vs the appropriate dish (which it was I was referring to over home-grown dishes) seeing it takes all of about 15m to aim one already installed even with no meter; just a compass and your eyes; but I digress

I am not sure what your point is?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)