H20 single line install. What am I missing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Actually, it is done all the time for tailgating/camping setups. I swapped in a "Dish" 1000.2 and works even better. Look at my avatar.

Yes, but is an easy swap without any modifications?

I thought he said he had good signal for the 101. I kind of thought he was using the Phase III LNB on a Slimline but don't really know.

He did, but he didn't say he had numbers on all of the transponders.

kjmiv, can you post all of the signal strength numbers you have on 101 when you are using the old lnb?

Yes, but is an easy swap without any modifications?

A Phase III will accept an SL3. The SL3 has a nub which prevents it from fully seating. The Phase III arm must be notched or the nub filed off. Swapping in a "Dish" 1000.2 produces better results on 99 and 103. i wouldn't bother at a house but it is great on the road.

We are off topic, but DBS Talk discusses it all here:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=139735

I am again stuck at work today. I can post numbers tomorrow for 101. I am going to take the PI and untested tip and try them both separately on a known, working system. I'll be able to rule them out. I know the cabling is fine. I'll keep you posted.

A Phase III will accept an SL3. The SL3 has a nub which prevents it from fully seating. The Phase III arm must be notched or the nub filed off. Swapping in a "Dish" 1000.2 produces better results on 99 and 103. i wouldn't bother at a house but it is great on the road.

We are off topic, but DBS Talk discusses it all here:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=139735

This is the opposite, though. It's a Phase III lnb on a Slimline arm.

Yes but a Phase III LNB might work on a Slimline arm. It sees the 101, 110, and 119 with an SL5 so why wouldn't it see them with a Phase III? A Slimline is just bent different than a Phase III so the focal point/arm length is different. The insertion point is the same dimensions for both LNB's.

I have read the 99 and 103 are lower power birds. Some FCC thing. Makes sense they would need a bigger dish to compensate.

I really don't know squat about any of this. I am monkey see, monkey do. I do know smaller dishes work and work well. Slimline is better but certainly not necessary. On a house, use a Slimline. If i could get a pie plate to work on the road, I'd use that.

I took the new PI and the new LNB and installed them both on a known working system. They both worked fine. The problem isn't the PI, Slimline LNB or the cable. Everything is hooked up correctly. I also know that I am aimed at sat 101 and getting 97-100's with the Phase III LNB on the new Slimline dish. I should be getting some kind of signal when I use the Slimline LNB but I am not. Next up, use a known working box and try that instead of the H20. That is about all I can think of. Thanks everyone for your help.

I'm not using a splitter anymore. No BSF. When I input the satellite type on the H20 under settings it tells me not to use a BSF. I believe the wiring is correct.

I took the new PI and the new LNB and installed them both on a known working system. They both worked fine. The problem isn't the PI, Slimline LNB or the cable. Everything is hooked up correctly. I also know that I am aimed at sat 101 and getting 97-100's with the Phase III LNB on the new Slimline dish. I should be getting some kind of signal when I use the Slimline LNB but I am not. Next up, use a known working box and try that instead of the H20. That is about all I can think of. Thanks everyone for your help.

Are you getting these signal strength numbers on all of the transponders or just a few? This is important! :)

I thought it said BSF. I am willing to try it with the BSF hooked up at this point.

You don't need the BSF or the BBC. Did you see my question about the signal strength numbers?

I am getting them for all transponders except for 4,12,20 which is what I expect.

Then that settles my question of which satellite you are aimed at, it's 101 like you said.

Update: I finally got a signal and have HD channels now. I had to raise the mast 3.5"; literally. No exaggeration. I was able to get a great signal with the old LNB on the new slimline. I thought I had a clear line of sight because of that. I was wrong. I have it rigged up now on the old mast. I am going to get a longer mast or get a mast extension for the the correct slimline mounting system. I am just happy I finally have HD. Thanks for all the help.

The H20s work just fine with a swm dish. IIRC, the input on the back says FTM instead of SWM. The H20s were made before SWM was brought to market.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)