H24 Audio to Older Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Viventis

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Hickory, NC
My daughter has an H24 hooked to her (new) LG 32" LCD via HDMI. She has an older Pioneer receiver that does not have video switching, optical nor digital inputs. The TV has an optical out and the H24 has a digital out, but neither has a dedicated RCA audio out. Is there a way to get audio from the H24 using the component and/or composite outputs to stream simultaneously with the HDMI?

Are you sure the H24 doesn't have RCA red/white audio outputs? These would be needed to get audio when using component or composite video.

Connect the H24 via HDMI to the TV, then disable use of HDMI audio on the TV. Use the Pioneer audio from the H24.
Note, that there could be a mismatch in the audio if you use both HDMI and RCA audio at the same time.

Are you sure the H24 doesn't have RCA red/white audio outputs? These would be needed to get audio when using component or composite video.

Connect the H24 via HDMI to the TV, then disable use of HDMI audio on the TV. Use the Pioneer audio from the H24.
Note, that there could be a mismatch in the audio if you use both HDMI and RCA audio at the same time.
Yes, the H24 has RCA audio outs associated with the component and composite outputs. The problem is that when you connect the TV with HDMI, these other outputs are "off." At first blush, it looks like only one audio/video output can be used at a time. I was hoping someone had a trick or setting that would allow the sound from the red/white audio outs associated with the component and/or composite outputs to stream when HDMI is used.

I understand that a sync issue may occur if HDMI audio (TV) and analog audio (receiver) play simultaneously. My thought to correct this is simply to mute the TV audio.

I found that I can purchase a device that will convert optical or coax digital sound to RCA outputs but I was hoping to save the expense.

Most likely, you're going to have to use the SPDIF/optical out from the LG, use an SPDIF/optical to RCA stereo converter, and plug it into the Pioneer receiver that way. Something like this:

Digital Coax & Optical Toslink to Analog Audio Converter

Make sure the H24's audio-out is set to "PCM/Stereo" and not "Dolby Digital"... although the LG 'might' do the down-converting from DD to stereo for you. (It probably does).

Though I do find it odd that the analog audio output from the RCA jacks on the back of the H24 are turned 'off' when HDMI is active... That's definitely not the norm but maybe someone can chime in to verify. On my HR20, I have HDMI hooked up to an Onkyo receiver for both audio & video, but the components & analog stereo RCA's hooked to a Slingbox PRO-HD and I get audio just fine...

Cheers,
Kermee

I have an H24 hooked to HDMI to the TV and the red/white (RCA) audio outs still work.
I have hooked just them in my stereo before, but now I currently have them along with the yellow video hooked in to an RF modulator and run to a SD TV as a second TV.

They should work even with using the HDMI.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)