H2H DiseQc motor in opposite way (look pics inside)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

enb141

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Central America
Hi guys I got an 1.2M dish SVEC which looks like this

s1238619911.jpg

If you look if I want to add a Diseqc H2H motor must be one in this position (looking Upwards)

stabhh120_StabHH120DiseqcMotor.jpg

So now my question is if can I use an H2H motor in the opposite way like this one?

H2HMount.jpg

unless you jimmy rig the bracket on the back of the dish no you can't

But many folks have jimmy rigged larger dishes with oddball brackets to work with down facing motors

You'd have to be concerned about the weight of the dish and mount also. Those "2100" type motors might not be strong enough to withstand the dish and the wind loading too. Check the motor's specifications on maximum weight.

Good choice in motors. :)

There have been lots of threads describing imaginative ways to bolt a dish to a motor.
A picture is worth 1000 words, of course. ;)

Below are a few threads with valuable pictures.
Some are quite long, so just scroll through at first, viewing the photos.
If you're not satisfied or convinced, I'm sure there are many more threads to be found.

Primestar dish on an SG2100 motor:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/23072-primestar-dish-sg2100.html

DirtyShame pix of motorized Primestar mount:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/433312-post52.html

edit: - I was looking for another picture to give you more ideas, and ran across this one.
Not what I was looking for, but still quite helpful:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/190515-finally-got-my-motor-working.html

Last edited:
enb I have that motor, in use, for a .90channel master/primestar dish. I can't find my manual with the specs in it, but I would say if any motor of that type could handle a 1.2-it would be that one! Its very well constructed and seems to be quite strong.

What I didn't find, but wanted to have you think about was a picture where someone had taken part of a mount off a small pay-satellite dish.
I think they bolted it inverted on their 1.2m dish.
The original adjustment range the mount had, allowed it to be set appropriately.

Probably a DirecTV or DishNetwork dish around 20 inches or so.
I know you don't have those in your country, but you probably have something similar that people discard to the trash, when they discontinue service.

What if you removed the 4 bolts on your mount on flipped it?
You would have to use a threaded rod as an extension to push the elevation up (as opposed to pulling it back)
Not sure if there would be enough clearance for the motor though. ...just a thought

Hi guys I got an 1.2M dish SVEC which looks like this

s1238619911.jpg

If you look if I want to add a Diseqc H2H motor must be one in this position (looking Upwards)

stabhh120_StabHH120DiseqcMotor.jpg

So now my question is if can I use an H2H motor in the opposite way like this one?

H2HMount.jpg

Enb,

Won't the motor action pan the dish in wrong direction (east = west and west = east)?

RADAR

Last edited:
What if you removed the 4 bolts on your mount on flipped it?
You would have to use a threaded rod as an extension to push the elevation up (as opposed to pulling it back)
Not sure if there would be enough clearance for the motor though. ...just a thought

If it works, that's an excellent idea. Attached is a very badly photoshopped image to illustrate.

Enb,

Won't the motor action pan the in wrong direction (east = west and west = east)?

RADAR

Even if this was so, couldn't you change the polarity on the latitude? Let's say the OP was at 15ºN, couldn't they set their receiver to 15ºS? (for the example of flipping their motor upside down)

Attachments

• s1238619911b.jpg
    s1238619911b.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 174
If it works, that's an excellent idea. Attached is a very badly photoshopped image to illustrate.

Even if this was so, couldn't you change the polarity on the latitude? Let's say the OP was at 15ºN, couldn't they set their receiver to 15ºS? (for the example of flipping their motor upside down)

That might do the trick - change N. lat to S. lat. Quick way to find out, try it with a normal motor setup and see if the motor turns the dish towards the opposite direction.

RADAR

So what you say is that I should put the DISH in opposite way, hmm that could work too, now another question how the LNB should be?

In opposite way or in normal way?

Last edited:
So what you say is that I should put the DISH in opposite way, hmm that could work too, now another question how the LNB should be?

In opposite way or in normal way?

Enb,

No, don't install the dish physically in the opposite way, just change your latitude from xy.z North to xy.z South in the USALS setup. You will probably have to do this regardless of whether you use USALS or DiSEqC motor positioning.

I believe that otherwise, installing a tube-down motor with the tube facing up will result in the motor turning the dish to the right when it should be turning to the left. The motor itself is still driving the same direction as always, but since it is inverted, the result will be reverse.

RADAR

EDIT: Enb, pardon me please. I wasn't sure of what you were referring to when you stated opposite vs normal. Read on and I think it gets clarified.

Last edited:
So what you say is that I should put the DISH in opposite way, ...

No. The mounting on the back of the dish looks like it attaches with four bolts. When you put the dish together, you could try assembling the mounting on the back of the dish in the opposite way.

EDIT: I fear my ugly drawing caused confusion. Attached is another drawing...

Attachments

• s1238619911c.jpg
    s1238619911c.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
No. The mounting on the back of the dish looks like it attaches with four bolts. When you put the dish together, you could try assembling the mounting on the back of the dish in the opposite way.

EDIT: I fear my ugly drawing caused confusion. Attached is another drawing...

Guapoharry,

I guess I didn't quite catch what you were referring to at first either.
The pictures make the idea much clearer - just flip the dish reflector upside-down on its mount and invert the mount. Then there is no need to invert the motor. As long as there is plenty of clearance, as you say, for the dish and motor to rotate without interference from any of the brackets/hardware.

This can be accomplished if the bolt pattern is symmetrical.

This would probably be the better approach as inverting a downward facing motor would also place the RF connectors and motor control buttons facing upwards and that would allow for rain to seep in more easily, so not the best idea.

RADAR

Guapoharry,

I guess I didn't quite catch what you were referring to at first either.
Putney mentioned it first. I can take credit for understanding this and following the words to illustrate.

It helps when you had the same problem like I did....

This would probably be the better approach as inverting a downward facing motor would also place the RF connectors and motor control buttons facing upwards and that would allow for rain to seep in more easily, so not the best idea....

Another problem could be a balance issue. I would bet that with an inverted motor and the standard mounting that it would be very top heavy. Such an arrangement would over load the motor at latitudes farther away from the True South

Ha Ha LOL!!

I did one too, but didn't post it!

:D

You get credit for the idea. I get credit for the ugliest picture. :D:D:D:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)