H3 344 Update?

I received U344 on 2/23. I've been lucky in the past with updates, never any big issues. This update is the worst update I have ever received from Dish. I have tried a reset, unplugged, everything I can think of but I have unbearable slow speed at everything. Guide is slow. Rev/Fwd is slow. Sound drop outs. Black screens. Recordings in PT broke up into multiple pieces, some only 1 min long. One hour long show was in 7 pieces. The first hour of PT didn't even record. All timers disappeared. Tried to restore from remote and restore locked up. Had power off to restart the Hopper. Tried a restore again, this time it worked. I have never seen anything like this before. The system is almost unusable. Joey2 is working worse than my H3.

***** UPDATE *****

FIXED
I tried everything from the RED button reset, Turning off Hopper, Power cord reset with no success. Problems kept getting worse. I finally copied all DVR'ed videos to my EHD and made sure my settings were copied to the remote, did a factory reset. After the reset and H3 setup, which takes a while as you all know. U344 dowloaded again and everything is now working GREAT. I have no idea what happened during the original U344 update. This certainly shouldn't be the recommended solution, but it works. After saying everything is working great, there is one glitch,although minor. When playing back a video from my EHD, when I first click on a video, the screen goes black and video doesn't play. Going back into the EHD and selecting the same video a second time, the video plays fine.

I see there is an update for 3.44 as of a few days ago that fixes several issues such as black screen. I used to be able to go to settings, diagnostics, updates and the play-play-recall and get it to force update. However I no longer have the update option. Is this gone for everyone in 3.43 or just me?

hopper 3 U3.43 2/6/2017
hopper 3 U3.44 2/16/2017
hopper 3 U3.41 1/26/2017
hopper 3 U3.40 1/19/2017

I'm still on 341 but that option has disappeared for me as well.

Also - for the last week or so it seems like I have to reboot (not reset) my H3 to get it to recognize my EHD. I can unplug and plug in the EHD to the H3, doesn't fix it (that used to be all it took to fix it when the H3 lost the EHD.) I can also unplug and plug in the EHD's power, and that does nothing. It requires a full reset of the H3 to get it to see my EHD, and this is now happening about once a day. This is the only bug I've had with the H3 that really, well, "bugs" me. ;)

I have this issue as well, with an EHD that was working quite well with the Hopper3 and the Hopper that we had before it.

So far, the spousal unit hasn't seemed to notice, or I'd be the one in trouble.

Right now, no one should panic about the state of their H3 with regard to missing/incomplete/incorrect guide data or the havoc said guide data is wreaking on their timers. Clearly Dish is having to work through problems with their new guide data provider and that is bound to some time to sort out. While the situation is annoying, going through the hassle to replace hardware isn't likely to have any effect on the situation.

Right now, no one should panic about the state of their H3 with regard to missing/incomplete/incorrect guide data or the havoc said guide data is wreaking on their timers. Clearly Dish is having to work through problems with their new guide data provider and that is bound to some time to sort out. While the situation is annoying, going through the hassle to replace hardware isn't likely to have any effect on the situation.
I can really appreciate what you are saying and agree for the most part. I'm just trying to determine if the fact that i can NOT recording ANY programming is a wide-spread issue, or if I have my own problem here. Even though there were some recording issues previously, it wasn't until U344 downloaded last nite that I can no longer record anything, no matter what I try. Existing timers, new timers - nothing will work. I have a "live" TV with a box hanging on the cables that is essentially serving no purpose (other than to cause me to pull out a few more gray hairs).

Reactions: buist
Well spoke to soon. I just got a black screen, reboot out of the blue now all timers are gone. Nothing will record either.

My timers didn't record anything today, then disappeared completely. I have tried rebooting the Hopper several times and the timers come back but still don't record anything. I tried a power cord reboot as well and it didn't make any difference. Now what?

What a mess.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: xfoneguy
I can really appreciate what you are saying and agree for the most part. I'm just trying to determine if the fact that i can NOT recording ANY programming is a wide-spread issue, or if I have my own problem here. Even though there were some recording issues previously, it wasn't until U344 downloaded last nite that I can no longer record anything, no matter what I try. Existing timers, new timers - nothing will work. I have a "live" TV with a box hanging on the cables that is essentially serving no purpose (other than to cause me to pull out a few more gray hairs).
U344 is totally wack. I spent 2 hours on the phone with Dish last night. There are major problems with U344. Timers disappear, Schedules either disappear or don't work, Black screen lock-ups , Channels changing on their own. It's just a total mess. It also seems to be affecting any devices connected to the H3. Joey2, 4KJoey, Wireless Joey. Extremely slow response.

U344 is totally wack. I spent 2 hours on the phone with Dish last night. There are major problems with U344. Timers disappear, Schedules either disappear or don't work, Black screen lock-ups , Channels changing on their own. It's just a total mess. It also seems to be affecting any devices connected to the H3. Joey2, 4KJoey, Wireless Joey. Extremely slow response.

ODD everything you described was going on last night prior to 9pm but since 4am central its been fixed. I'm in the middle of transferring 1GB movies from IHD to EHD and everything working here again. Others say it had nothing to do with version of software it was a universal guide issue with all.

It only affected users with the new interface. My two hopper with sling receivers running the old interface had no problems.

It only affected users with the new interface. My two hopper with sling receivers running the old interface had no problems.

Not really. We've had customers with the old interface with problems and customers with the new interface and no problems. It's a problem with the guide data and associated files and seems to be totally random which receivers are affected.

Reactions: camo and xfoneguy
Whatever was going on yesterday (which turned out to be more than just a little inconvenient after all) seems to have been resolved overnight. Everything I can think of that was an issue is now working properly. Maybe I need to wait a day before going in to panic mode.

Reactions: JSheridan and DWS44
Dish gets $15 per month for DVR service. If 1/2 of their customers have a DVR, that is about $100,000,000 per month or 1.2 Billion per year. For that money they should be able to get the DVR to record the programs that we schedule. However, it seems greed and incompetence reigns instead. They should refund those who lost recordings yesterday. If they did, that could be up to $3.5 million. Maybe that would get management attention to their SW problems.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Since U344, I can no longer access "APPS" - I get an error msg that says "Data Unavailable" and "No need to call - we know about the problem". Did this start with 344 or is it even a widespread problem? Or maybe just me?

Since U344, I can no longer access "APPS" - I get an error msg that says "Data Unavailable" and "No need to call - we know about the problem". Did this start with 344 or is it even a widespread problem? Or maybe just me?

I don't think it's widespread since everyone would be posting about that if it was (and they're not.) I don't have it (H3 and two 4K Joeys.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)