H364 is here

Dish should stop issuing piecemeal updates until they figure out how to fix bugs.
Do better beta testing.
Issue updates on a specified day of the week or month.
Chrome, Firefox and other software developers don't have customers slobbering over their keyboards with every update.
Perhaps we should stop fixating on every little update that comes out and just watch TV.
My Hopper3 has been performing well almost from the day it was installed several years ago.
My biggest argument is with the removal of functionality like dropping the 4X fast forward.
If I had anxiety over minute upgrades I'd be miserable, too.
I believe there are to many variables for Dish to thoroughly test every update in house. By releasing updates and having us communicate back to Dish through the SatelliteGuys website people like Josh are able to resolve the bugs. From the responses on this website you can see that some Hopper3 receivers have problems while other Hopper3 receivers do not.
As a retired control engineer I can appreciate some of the problems that Dish has in dealing with software issues. In Nestle different factories using the same equipment and identical software Running on identical PLC hardware would exhibit different problems. It was always hard to find the solutions.

Dish should stop issuing piecemeal updates until they figure out how to fix bugs.
Do better beta testing.
Chrome, Firefox and other software developers don't have customers slobbering over their keyboards with every update.
Perhaps we should stop fixating on every little update that comes out and just watch TV.
My Hopper3 has been performing well almost from the day it was installed several years ago.
My biggest argument is with the removal of functionality like dropping the 4X fast forward.
Who is going to do the Beta testing since not sure if you are aware but software testing goes from Alpha, Beta, Gamma and then Release. Alpha is the most risky which is probably done in-house and then customers are the ones who are Beta testing for DISH as I think that was what the customers who had 361 were, wonder what version they are on now as 364 is the people who were on 358 then 362 then 363. Chrome, Firefox and even Microsoft has it's own share of issues. People with Microsoft Windows 11 Canary Channel for the last 3 months and 5 builds have not been able to update Xbox Identity Provider for example. Even Microsoft EDGE, stable version has had crashes within 1 minute with startup. The Canary version of Edge crashes within 2 minutes of launching about 8 builds ago, it was fixed 2 builds later, then started crashing again another two builds later within 20 seconds and as of now which is 4 builds later, still crashes within the first 20 seconds. Canary can see multiple versions daily. As for Firefox, let's look at stable releases of the current version 118 and not talk about the test versions:
On September 25, 2023 - 118.0 released
On September 28, 2023 - 118.0.1 released
On October 10, 2023 - 118.0.2 released

And that's only free software. Then there is paid software such as Techsmith Camtasia where 3 versions were released in the last 2 days alone which can be seen at:

1697751052433.png

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
My Hopper 3 updated yesterday from 358 to 364. Joey updated to 264.

Yesterday, I recorded the local news. When I turned on the recording I got a black screen, so I pressed the skip forward and nothing. I pressed it a few more times and the program started, I only wanted the weather so I skipped forward and it just froze. Tried from the beginning again and the same thing as before. I deleted the recording.

Today the signal went out twice and restarted. The first time the screen just went black and went through the restart cycle.
A couple hours later my husband was watching a recorded movie on the EHD 1 and it just stopped playing and went to a screen that I've seen before but hard to explain. It is black and white with Dishnetwork and two or three options like unavailable , no signal.
Anyway, the weirdness only started after the upgrade.
He was able to get the DVR recording back on and restarted the movie.

Yesterday, I recorded the local news. When I turned on the recording I got a black screen, so I pressed the skip forward and nothing. I pressed it a few more times and the program started, I only wanted the weather so I skipped forward and it just froze. Tried from the beginning again and the same thing as before. I deleted the recording.

Today the signal went out twice and restarted. The first time the screen just went black and went through the restart cycle.
A couple hours later my husband was watching a recorded movie on the EHD 1 and it just stopped playing and went to a screen that I've seen before but hard to explain. It is black and white with Dishnetwork and two or three options like unavailable , no signal.
Anyway, the weirdness only started after the upgrade.
He was able to get the DVR recording back on and restarted the movie.
Please do this: unplug the Hopper for a minute and then replug it. That may correct your issues.

Since my H3 updated to h364 several days ago, I've sometimes gotten this abrupt fade to black screen for a couple of seconds soon after beginning to watch a recorded program. Then all is normal. It's not a loss of signal because if I rewind, the playback is smooth with no loss of program. Never had this previously.

Do better beta testing.
Perhaps they never heard of a concept known as regression testing.

I hate to say it, but after umpteen years of Dish, I must finally consider departing. I HOPE they have a new twist coming. But my contract is nearing an end. I have considered myself a loyal Dish Customer, but what is in the future?

We’ve lost Dr Jeff, rocky mtn vet. And how many food truck shows? Will we ever see Project Runway again? Certain other shows?

To be honest, we watch more free YT now.

GIVE ME HOPE!

Perhaps they never heard of a concept known as regression testing.
More like in the current age, they try to rush things to market without the proper testing like in the old days and basically the testing is done by the user. And ofcourse a bug is a feature since if they didn't create new bugs or features, they would not have anything to fix and the software development would be out of work.

Something else I noticed with H362, H363 and H364 is assuming a recording was recorded correctly where the length is correct... Hitting skip even at the beginning of a video, like the first 20 minutes of a 1.5 hr recording, it would jump to the beginning of the recording then it will work correctly.

H364 was forced on me on 10/18 and now FF/RW through the live buffer is hosed. It works once to rewind to a point, but then randomly jumps back to live TV during the replay. At that point you cannot RW back in the buffer even though it's allegedly there. Only recourse is to restart.

Edit: A restart is not necessary. You can change channels, but then the buffer is lost.

My H3 updated to 364 the other day. Everything seems to be running OK “except” skip forward and back. A single skip takes about 1 1/2 seconds, which I use a lot. Very annoying!
I hate this. i am so mad.

Skip forward takes 8 seconds! Skip back takes 5 seconds!

My H3 has rebooted 3 times.

I thought the last version where pressing skip back 10s once actually went forward or if you pressed too many too quickly it went to the beginning was bad, but this new version is beyond bad.

It’s slower than streaming services trying to jump back or forward. And they are streaming from the internet, not reading from an internal HD

I hate this. i am so mad.

Skip forward takes 8 seconds! Skip back takes 5 seconds!

My H3 has rebooted 3 times.

I thought the last version where pressing skip back 10s once actually went forward or if you pressed too many too quickly it went to the beginning was bad, but this new version is beyond bad.

It’s slower than streaming services trying to jump back or forward. And they are streaming from the internet, not reading from an internal HD
An update:

The long delay for skip back/forward has started to be recording specific. For most recordings I get the now new 3/4 - 1 second delay. Annoying but tolerable. But occasionally a recording will exhibit having a 10 second delay. Nothing will fix that recording. And I can switch back-and-forth between recordings that have the new annoying delay and the 10 second delay.

Very weird.

Last night I had my first issue with H364.
I was watching a movie recorded Sunday night on channel 188 on my Living Room Hopper3 on my Family Room Hopper3. Approximately 30 minutes into the movie I was doing multiple skips through some commercials on my Family room hopper3 when suddenly the Living Room Hopper3 rebooted. After the reboot I had to fast forward through the movie since Resume started at the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It happened again last night. I was watching a movie recorded on Hallmark channel 185 on 10/20/23. The movie was recorded on my Living Room hopper3 and I was watching it on my Family Room hopper3. About halfway through the movie I was skipping commercials when the Living Room hopper3 rebooted. After the reboot the Resume worked correctly. The reboot seems to be triggered by doing too many skips ahead for commercials. I wonder if this is related to Dish inserting commercials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a customer today with this exact issue. Told them they're just gonna have to wait it out.