Had a ViP 722 for over 3 years now, cheap upgrade options?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Muckrak3r

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Texas
Just curious. Are there better receivers out there? If so, do current customers get upgrade options for better (bigger hard drives) receivers and get discounts?

I'm sure there are higher-end with features the VIP722 doesn't have, but if the VIP722 works and you're not needing different features (HD on second TV for example), why ponder an upgrade? I also have a 3 year old VIP722, and even after being off for 6 months with Dish Pause, it's still working great. And for the larger HD, with the USB option you can add pretty much any sized HD you'd like, which is nice!

Anyway, just curious.

Sam

There is the ViP722K, which has a different remote and may one day have a different UI. It has a slot for two OTA tuners, which you pay extra for. But it does not seem to be as stable as the standard ViP722.

There is also the ViP922, which, to be charitable, is a work in progress. I daresay you don't want one. Maybe in a few months, when they get the features working well.

Most, but not all, good deals go to new customers.

3 years. I didn't realize it had been out that long. Time flies.

navychop said:
There is the ViP722K, which has a different remote and may one day have a different UI. It has a slot for two OTA tuners, which you pay extra for. But it does not seem to be as stable as the standard ViP722.

There is also the ViP922, which, to be charitable, is a work in progress. I daresay you don't want one. Maybe in a few months, when they get the features working well.

Most, but not all, good deals go to new customers.

3 years. I didn't realize it had been out that long. Time flies.

Stay with your 722. The K model is very unstable. Every 6 months we have to replace ours.

Stay with your 722. The K model is very unstable. Every 6 months we have to replace ours.

My 722K has been faultless for over a year. If you are replacing that often, their must be a home electrical or over heating factor involved. Is your unit WELL ventilated and away from other equipment?

My 722K has been faultless for over a year. If you are replacing that often, their must be a home electrical or over heating factor involved. Is your unit WELL ventilated and away from other equipment?

It is in a cabinet. Do you think i should move it out of there? No other equipment in there

Last edited:
It is in a cabinet. Do you think i should move it out of there? No other equipment in there

YES, that's your problem, get it out of there, or get a small fan and always keep the cabinet door partially open. You've been cookin' them.;)

I finally got upgraded to a 722K from a 622. I also got the OTA tuner that gives you 4 tuners which is fantastic! It is the most capable DVR I have ever used. Try to get Dish to upgrade you and throw in the OTA tuner for free.

I also have my equipment in a cabinet and have added fans to each cabinet shelf to circulate the air so the inside of the cabinet stays at room temperature. If you don't do this you will have lots of problems. The 722K, my PS3 and my XBOX360 are in their own compartment and each has a dedicated 4" fan. Comp USA has these new ultra quiet fans with excellent air flow. I run them off a small 12VDC power supply that is on a delay IR timer so it runs the fans for a minute after equipment shuts down. The fan for the DVR stays on all the time as the DVR is on all the time. When you have a cabinet, good ventilation engineering is a must.

Mine is about 2 years and counting, nary an issue with it. It is in an open AV rack with good airflow and nothing on the shelf with it. I also have it on a UPS because our power will flicker now and then.

The only real upgrade from the 722 is a 922. The 922 will only do one TV right now though. You pretty much have the best receiver right now.

I'm sure there are higher-end with features the VIP722 doesn't have, but if the VIP722 works and you're not needing different features (HD on second TV for example), why ponder an upgrade? I also have a 3 year old VIP722, and even after being off for 6 months with Dish Pause, it's still working great. And for the larger HD, with the USB option you can add pretty much any sized HD you'd like, which is nice!

Anyway, just curious.

Sam
Which receiver has 2 HD outputs? I have the 622 and the 2nd output is only SD, which I would like to be HD.

Which receiver has 2 HD outputs? I have the 622 and the 2nd output is only SD, which I would like to be HD.
There are no receivers with two INDEPENDENT HD outputs. All HD receivers have HDMI and compoment outs, but the two TVs would be watching the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)