Had Enough...going back to Cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

str8poolbanger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Johnstown, PA
Couldnt take it any longer, continous pixelation on HD locals in the philly area. Constant dropping of audio, piss poor signal strenghts. Etc, Etc Etc. The worse part is that I can't drill into my house and something tells me that was my biggest problem, that I had to use a non pen roof mount with hollywood blocks. The wind storms here in the Lehigh Valley actually broke my dish, I havent climbed up there yet...but when I do I will be sure to post pics. Hopefully the RCN HD/DVR will be sufficint enough to satisfy my HD hunger. Worst part is Im an installer and couldnt get this dish to peak for the life of me, so I kept using my protection plan and the "ironhead" installer said you have to add more cinder blocks, and im not sure why u have this the HD stations are the same as the 3 prong dish we use. Shouldve seen his face light up when i came into my house and grabbed my directv installers jacket and climbed back on the roof with him....was f-in priceless. Guess Ill have to wait till I get my own house and mount everything myself.

Last edited:
str8,

same thing with me. i went for the tivo upgrade last year , the irond*ck installer is running late . i tell him to meet me at uni-mart downtown. he is sitting in his van. i pull in with the directv logos on the truck, get out with my directv home service provider shirt on and he just stands there! where is the w/order? he hands it to me with the tivo, still hasnt said a word!!! i sign it and write real big "GR8 JOB!!!"
hand him the w/order back with $10.00 i say "it will be active in an hour........he goes UH...THANKS. then he goes, dont you want the warranty? i say MY sbca tech# is as good as yours is......see ya:devil:

Amazing isnt it.....I cant believe he tried to tell me that I'd be ok with a trip sat for my HD locals coming of the 103. Either way RCN is coming out on the 12th to re connect my cable with their HD/DVR. Ill just have to wait till I build or buy my house and then call D* back. On the bright side of things I will own my own equipment...lol...although it may be outdated.

str8poolbanger said:
Couldnt take it any longer, continous pixelation on HD locals in the philly area.

Continuous pixelation via D* is seen on all 1080i channels over here (Something to do with my installation, uh hugh) :D NOT!!!!!!!!

Thanks again Guffy for your added post. It really helped so much, I'm not sure we could have gotten along without it.

FlyingJ said:
Thanks again Guffy for your added post. It really helped so much, I'm not sure we could have gotten along without it.

Yes, thanks so much for your helpful post as well :)

I wont bother speaking for everyone as you have so eloquently done, but I personally could not have gotten by without your insight :)

I dont know...i priced out RCN to go back to cable and no way can they compleate with D-TV. 15 bucks a month for the HD-DVR??? The only thing that RCN is realy good for is their cable modem, that is rock solid. As for their cable tv, Ill pass...

dragon....ill own the dtv equipment...

slag....12.95 the lady told me it would cost.... after its all said and done...ill be paying the same due to having a bundle with RCN...phone, cable, and internet....has i will agree as well...their modem service is great...and soon to be 20MBps...

I'm a tech too not with IronW. And I am getting ready to do my first 5lnb hd install looks to be a real pain in the ass. Didn't see the video. But I did see the powerpoint presentation read some literature and talked to a few that have done them. I heard big pain in the a**

vurbano said:

Well, I should clarify and say that most of the pixelation problems are during live 1080i sporting events..

Pixelation can be seen on 1080i regular network programming too though, mostly during fast scene transitions..

One just has to be willing to pay attention to see it...

You are right...it is 12.95, but i remember getting rid of RCN because they were tacking on a 5 buck fee to re-coop their loses...they also lock you into that bundled pricing...i wanted to cancel HBO because I didnt watch anymore and i was wasting 12 bucks a month on it, but if i would have canceled it, my package would go up 10 bucks, so all i would have saved was 2 bucks. With D-TV, i want to get rid of HBO, i save 12 bucks. I dont know, RCN offers you alot, but when you get your bill, its like what the heck. Right now, D-tv is good, their HD locals now and then have problems, but how much is realy on HD for the major networks 8pm till the end of Leno?? All their other channels are clear, i remember my locals with RCN blew, they were far from being clear, and my developement was full digital when i moved in. This is just my rant, if RCN wants me back and they can beat D-TVs prices and not raise them every year, i might come back....what happened to the good old days when you had a antenna on your roof with a rotor and TV was FREE!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)