Had my dish moved, then the tech hauls in a Polk soundbar.

When I was an IT Tech we were forced to make sales wether it would be new contracts or even surge protectors, it got so bad we were losing customers and some customers would call in for a service call and first words out of their mouth was "DONT TRY TO SELL ME ANYTHING" we had sales quota's , then the CEO was fired and new acting CEO was appointed and first new policy change was techs are no longer required to do sales and any sales leads are to be directed to the customers account mgr. Of course this came in just after I scored signing a stubborn a customer to a new 2yr maintenance contract, this was a customer so many have tried to sign before but we're never successful and this just made my quota for the year never mind the quarter, and then all of sudden quota's were eliminated anyhow was a big huge of relief not having to do sales.
I do all my Dish installs and setup, so I've never had a dish tech visit and nowafter hearing this I won't in the future, I have my own Onkyo home theatre setup and don't need a Polk soundbar.

That’s pretty bizarre. If I had tech come over to install or repair something and they tried to sell me something I’d immediately show them the door.
Well, you better change your thinking because you have the option to not buy but the technician does not have the option to not try to sell. And that’s just all there is to it. And that’s not me speaking as a manager because I’ve only been a manager for six months. That policy has been in effect for years And Dish Network consistently ups the ante, meaning the threshold that technicians need to hit pertaining to dollars per work order.

And why not? Everybody on here knows quite well that these cable companies are bleeding customers. Particularly the satellite companies. Companies do not exist to go out of business. They exist to be successful and stay in business, which means keeping revenue coming in.

And we’re not talking about the high-pressure sales tactics of the Kirby vacuum cleaner sales person. Technicians are trained to recommend, demo in instances where it’s called for and make an offer. All you have to do is say no or you may actually be interested in what they have to offer.

As Dish Network moves more and more into the smart home industry, they are only staying in line with what customers want because we are well over 65% of American homes that have at least one smart home item in their house.

We consistently talk about how more dangerous and violent people are, and the demand for security is rising every day. Dish technicians are trained in recommending security options and conducting professional installations.

Now, that’s me talking like a manager lol. But technicians that cannot meet thresholds that are set by the officers, and when I say that meat, I mean that try to meet our losing their jobs so your distain had a technician doing his job and “showing him the door” if he even brings up, the topic of sales is actually jeopardizing his job. And that’s just when it comes down to.

When I was an IT Tech we were forced to make sales wether it would be new contracts or even surge protectors, it got so bad we were losing customers and some customers would call in for a service call and first words out of their mouth was "DONT TRY TO SELL ME ANYTHING" we had sales quota's , then the CEO was fired and new acting CEO was appointed and first new policy change was techs are no longer required to do sales and any sales leads are to be directed to the customers account mgr. Of course this came in just after I scored signing a stubborn a customer to a new 2yr maintenance contract, this was a customer so many have tried to sign before but we're never successful and this just made my quota for the year never mind the quarter, and then all of sudden quota's were eliminated anyhow was a big huge of relief not having to do sales.
I do all my Dish installs and setup, so I've never had a dish tech visit and nowafter hearing this I won't in the future, I have my own Onkyo home theatre setup and don't need a Polk soundbar.
No, you don’t need a Polk audio sound bar. f**k, you may want better performance out of your Internet. Or maybe a better option for Internet. Or maybe you’re one of those people who is considered a doorbell camera like millions of people have now, but you held back because either you didn’t wanna install it yourself, or you didn’t know how or you didn’t know which one to get. Or any of the other many things that Dish Network offers now.
Or you may not be interested in any of it, but why would you want to impede a man who’s just doing his job?

Again-as a long time Radio Shack mgr I had many different sales metrics come and go over the years including everyone's favorite-extended warranties.It's very profitable.
I'm sure many of you remember being asked for your N&A. That was all about sales flyers(which many customers enjoyed getting) and contrary to popular belief the company did not sell that mailing list even though I'm sure it was worth a lot of money.I think the metric was 80 percent could have been higher.Anyways-like anything you have to read the situation.In a busy store with a line of customers when some guy slaps down a 4 pack of AA batteries with a $5 bill chances are I'm going to give him his change and say "Next"! On the other hand a customer writing a check I don't even have to ask-all the info is on the check and /or ID.
Many years later some of you might recall RS went all in on cell phones.My store had historically done well with cell phones but I have to admit I was somewhat uncomfortable with the edict that we were supposed to have a "cellular conversation" with every customer.That scenario envisioned a world where customers are not in a hurry and have the time to chit chat until I subtly turn the conversation to their cellular needs.What really happened across thousands of stores-"WANNA CELL PHONE WITH THOSE BATTERIES?"

Well, you better change your thinking because you have the option to not buy but the technician does not have the option to not try to sell. And that’s just all there is to it. And that’s not me speaking as a manager because I’ve only been a manager for six months. That policy has been in effect for years And Dish Network consistently ups the ante, meaning the threshold that technicians need to hit pertaining to dollars per work order.

And why not? Everybody on here knows quite well that these cable companies are bleeding customers. Particularly the satellite companies. Companies do not exist to go out of business. They exist to be successful and stay in business, which means keeping revenue coming in.

And we’re not talking about the high-pressure sales tactics of the Kirby vacuum cleaner sales person. Technicians are trained to recommend, demo in instances where it’s called for and make an offer. All you have to do is say no or you may actually be interested in what they have to offer.

As Dish Network moves more and more into the smart home industry, they are only staying in line with what customers want because we are well over 65% of American homes that have at least one smart home item in their house.

We consistently talk about how more dangerous and violent people are, and the demand for security is rising every day. Dish technicians are trained in recommending security options and conducting professional installations.

Now, that’s me talking like a manager lol. But technicians that cannot meet thresholds that are set by the officers, and when I say that meat, I mean that try to meet our losing their jobs so your distain had a technician doing his job and “showing him the door” if he even brings up, the topic of sales is actually jeopardizing his job. And that’s just when it comes down to.

I can’t see myself changing my thinking on that one. The last thing I want is an ambush sales guy in my house, I didn’t sign up for that. Dish would not be on my list of places to buy equipment anyway, other than proprietary stuff.

It’s obviously not the tech’s fault if the company is poorly run, or not really a viable business and has to resort to podunk practices to try and survive. But he would be the one in my face so he would have to deal with the reaction.

Reactions: charlesrshell
No, you don’t need a Polk audio sound bar. f**k, you may want better performance out of your Internet. Or maybe a better option for Internet. Or maybe you’re one of those people who is considered a doorbell camera like millions of people have now, but you held back because either you didn’t wanna install it yourself, or you didn’t know how or you didn’t know which one to get. Or any of the other many things that Dish Network offers now.
Or you may not be interested in any of it, but why would you want to impede a man who’s just doing his job?
So many of the things that even 5 years ago were "luxury" or "I don't need all of that stuff" or "I'll never use that" options like the Ring doorbells, or even high speed broadband vs regular cheapo internet are now almost standard or just plain necessary.

Times change, and tech changes with it.

I can’t see myself changing my thinking on that one. The last thing I want is an ambush sales guy in my house, I didn’t sign up for that. Dish would not be on my list of places to buy equipment anyway, other than proprietary stuff.

It’s obviously not the tech’s fault if the company is poorly run, or not really a viable business and has to resort to podunk practices to try and survive. But he would be the one in my face so he would have to deal with the reaction.
A simple "No thank you" is all that you need to do. Don''t punish the employee for just doing his job.

Simply put- it’s not our decision. It’s the folks running the company.

Where I used to work, they pushed techs to SELL. The ones that did made a LOT more money than the shrinking violets!

It's crazy. Lot's don't know and many don't care. My neighbors have a ~65 incher on the wall and sit over 10 feet away in the recliners.
I notice it's always blasting just to hear it. I dug out an old set of Logitech pc speakers and a sub and ran it over, plugged it in to the 1/8" jack. They love it. They're not complicated. But the difference in sound is phenomenal compared to the built in's. How much? Nothing. But I got dinner and maybe a few too many beers on the back porch.
My issue is whatever I put, no one else knows how to operate it since my path is not direct as for example, my HDMI does not go directly from the DISH Hopper 3 to the TV. It first goes through my Oppo 4K Player and then it goes to another HDMI switch before it even makes it to the TV so while I like better sound into my Proceed (Baby Mark Levinson) separates, it takes an advanced degree to even get sound out of it. LOL.

Again-as a long time Radio Shack mgr I had many different sales metrics come and go over the years including everyone's favorite-extended warranties.It's very profitable.
I'm sure many of you remember being asked for your N&A. That was all about sales flyers(which many customers enjoyed getting) and contrary to popular belief the company did not sell that mailing list even though I'm sure it was worth a lot of money.I think the metric was 80 percent could have been higher.Anyways-like anything you have to read the situation.In a busy store with a line of customers when some guy slaps down a 4 pack of AA batteries with a $5 bill chances are I'm going to give him his change and say "Next"! On the other hand a customer writing a check I don't even have to ask-all the info is on the check and /or ID.
Many years later some of you might recall RS went all in on cell phones.My store had historically done well with cell phones but I have to admit I was somewhat uncomfortable with the edict that we were supposed to have a "cellular conversation" with every customer.That scenario envisioned a world where customers are not in a hurry and have the time to chit chat until I subtly turn the conversation to their cellular needs.What really happened across thousands of stores-"WANNA CELL PHONE WITH THOSE BATTERIES?"
And let's not forget the Radio Shack Battery of the month club!

1688946026042.png

even though the only ones I had seen were:
1688946081907.png

My issue is whatever I put, no one else knows how to operate it since my path is not direct as for example, my HDMI does not go directly from the DISH Hopper 3 to the TV. It first goes through my Oppo 4K Player and then it goes to another HDMI switch before it even makes it to the TV so while I like better sound into my Proceed (Baby Mark Levinson) separates, it takes an advanced degree to even get sound out of it. LOL.
Hint. Remote with macros.Too bad Logitech went out of the remote game. My Ultimate is pretty slick.
CEC, as cool as it seems is klunky and nobody has had the smarts to make it customizable.
Alexa's "skills" are limited to a few tasks. I've written "cheat sheets" and walked clients through how to operate the string of crap they buy step by step by step. Overall they "get it".
My dad? Couldn't grasp the concept of source switching to watch DVD's he bought. Dammit I miss that guy. R.I.P.
Crestron is another option I guess. Subbed to the user group for years. Remotes are cheap on the 'bay but software, and the learning curve is a trip. An arm and a liver.
Speaking of liver. What goes better with things that begin with Mc than a nice cold Guiness?
brag brag...i got 2 turntables and a microphone. and cornwalls and belles and bla bla bla. love the smell of tubes in the morning btw. lol!!
Even the mail girl bops her head occasionally when she drive by to deliver correspondence from my best friend Bill.
Bill Collector...*&@!

Reactions: That American Girl

Ambush sales guy?? Really??
"Ever think about better sound out of your TV"? is an ambush??
Get real.

As for the rest of your post, tell us that you don't know what you're talking about without telling us you don't know what you're talking about....

This started way back, with DiSH telling dealers they shouldn't expect to make a living just on sat (IOW they weren't going to reimburse squat for installing & servicing, and FERGIT residuals after their big ripoff) and so we had to "monetize" by "upselling". Just plain corporate selfishness that disconsiders any dealer-customer relationship.

Hint. Remote with macros.Too bad Logitech went out of the remote game. My Ultimate is pretty slick.
CEC, as cool as it seems is klunky and nobody has had the smarts to make it customizable.
Alexa's "skills" are limited to a few tasks. I've written "cheat sheets" and walked clients through how to operate the string of crap they buy step by step by step. Overall they "get it".
My dad? Couldn't grasp the concept of source switching to watch DVD's he bought. Dammit I miss that guy. R.I.P.
Crestron is another option I guess. Subbed to the user group for years. Remotes are cheap on the 'bay but software, and the learning curve is a trip. An arm and a liver.
Speaking of liver. What goes better with things that begin with Mc than a nice cold Guiness?
brag brag...i got 2 turntables and a microphone. and cornwalls and belles and bla bla bla. love the smell of tubes in the morning btw. lol!!
Even the mail girl bops her head occasionally when she drive by to deliver correspondence from my best friend Bill.
Bill Collector...*&@!
Just had a couple pints. Guinness is good for you. But you knew that.

With that attitude I hope you never need a tech out. Like stated a simple no thank you is fine. But shooing them out and getting mad is the wrong way to react and will make no tech ever want to help you. And every time your name poos up it will get rejected lol.

This started way back, with DiSH telling dealers they shouldn't expect to make a living just on sat (IOW they weren't going to reimburse squat for installing & servicing, and FERGIT residuals after their big ripoff) and so we had to "monetize" by "upselling". Just plain corporate selfishness that disconsiders any dealer-customer relationship.
That upselling was service, not products though.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts