Happy guy today!

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
After watching Fios slowly crawl in my direction, today I got a Fios flyer. We'll be seeing it Real Soon Now. Finally.

Now to put up a couple of "Welcome Fios" signs!

I wanted to try FIOS but they were unble to get it to work. I envy you.

Unable? You mean they actually put the box on your house and couldn't get it up and running?

Gee, I hope that doesn't happen to me.

Don't let them give up trying.

My wife was told yesterday that it will be 1 -3 months after the door hangers (actually put in mailbox) are put out before they start to dig. Does this sound right?

I put out a couple of "WELCOME FIOS" signs and she wants to take them down since some neighbors don't want Fios coming thru and digging up their yards. From what I've seen, they did excellent work in restoring yards.

My wife was told yesterday that it will be 1 -3 months after the door hangers (actually put in mailbox) are put out before they start to dig. Does this sound right?
That timeframe sound about right based on what I have been hearing lately, but your mileage may vary.

I put out a couple of "WELCOME FIOS" signs and she wants to take them down since some neighbors don't want Fios coming thru and digging up their yards. From what I've seen, they did excellent work in restoring yards.
I agree...they do a pretty job of covering their tracks. If not, there are procedures in place to escalate the issue and get it repaired correctly. I would take down the sign and put up one that reads, "WELCOME FIOS - FREE BEER INSIDE!":rolleyes:

In my area they dig up the sidewalks, as well as put in a box right at the edge of the sidewalk in your yard. I imagine when they do the actual install to your house they have to dig a trench through the yard to the side of the house, but I haven't seen one of those done yet. Very slow takeup in my area from what I hear. They haven't hit my street yet.

"WELCOME FIOS - FREE BEER INSIDE!"

I'm tempted to bring them cold water & soda. Maybe snacks, too.

More Joy. Today, only 17 days after we were initially notified that Fios was coming, we got door hangers identifying the contractor and saying work would begin Real Soon Now.

:D:D:D

They are digging ONE BLOCK AWAY today! Things, happily, seem to be happening fast. I put my signs back up.:D

Well, they're digging up my yard today. Several slit trenches about 2 feet deep. All dug by hand, but very square. Some kind of air wand to help. Front flower garden took a hit. Big box buried near the cable & telco above surface boxes.

One of the guys I spoke w/ a few days ago said most people were like me- very glad to see the work. Very few complaints about yards, etc.

I might be changing my email address Real Soon Now.

Sounds like an FDT is going in next to the cable & telco boxes. They'll have to bring the fiber in, splice it and then turn it on. Once that's done, you can order. Good luck!

Sounds like you are very close! When the guy came to my front door with the paper to sign I was so excited I didn't even read it. And that's even though the TV part isn't available yet. :)

Back today, heavier equipment.

Yesterday they cut the land lines to the entire neighborhood. Apparently, none of us noticed. Supposed to be fixed today.

They cut my cable, which I use for internet. Yep, not marked- nearest mark was about 2' away, heading for a neighbor. As much as I'm pleased, I must admit they really weren't prepared to fix what would obviously occur. They had some white coax, but few connectors. They actually used standard indoor stuff and screw on butt connectors! No underground splice stuff at all, not even a gooey boat to lay the splice in. Took almost an hour to fix after they started. Gave every impression they really didn't know what they were doing.

Well, it ought to last until Fios is laid. If not, it'll be quicker for me to dig it up and do it right. Or replace it with similar stuff, smeared with vasoline and plastic wrap. I'm sure my cableco would be out to conduct such a repair "Real Soon Now" and expect me to take a day off work to point at the ground. They gotta know first to jump ship will be the internet only customers. Actually, I suspected Fios was about to arrive because of suddenly getting almost daily offers from the cableco, presumably all with a year's commitment.

A couple of weeks ago, there was a crew laying cable from Prince Williams into Stafford County. Were This crew laying down line for Verizon? They went all the way up Rt 1, the last time I saw them they was close to Garrisonvlle Rd. I live In the Boswell Corner area.

Last edited:
Well, hard to know for sure. If it was being laid in orange flex conduit, I expect that chances are very good that it was being laid for Fios. But since it seems that maybe the cable was for carrying a signal over quite a distance, I suppose they might not see the need for conduit and just lay it directly. Could be to carry bulk signals to a new area to open up to Fios, as opposed to servicing the area it was passing thru.

I doubt that the cable was for a cableco around here. They're done, in more ways than one. And Verizon is not laying any more copper. It might have been a long distance line for another company or government. But I'd say the odds are pretty good that if they were laying a communications line, it was for Fios.

The line was being laid in orange flex conduit. The county is suppose to vote for Verizon this month at their next meeting. And from what I am being told all systems are go. This agreement is ready for the county board members to approve it.

Imagine my Joy. I got a card in the mail from Verizon, telling me Fios will be available soon. So don't sign any contract with another provider because it might cost me money in early termination fees (nothing like confidence). I guess they noticed the local cableco is sending me offers about twice a week now, trying to entice me into a contract.

The card said to find out when it would be available, go to a certain website. I did. I filled in my address, email address, home land line #, cell # etc and clicked. Gee- "We'll be sure to let you know when it will be available to you. If your phone #s are on any Do Not Call lists, we won't be able to contact you that way. But just to keep in touch, about once a month we'll send you a status report."

Oh boy, once a month, eh? I guess my enthusiasm was misplaced. Wonder how many of those monthly reports I'll be seeing, before I'm @fios.net?

Navy, let me know if you have any billing problems. Close family friends had FiOS installed last month and they are having the same billing issues we had when we were installed in the spring. We were getting $400-500 bills the first few months because the ordering system had botched our order. Although a very nice Verizon CSR would give us hundreds of dollars in credits each month, and promises that our next bill would be squared-away, it didn't happend and we never received a bill we could figure out.

Anyway, I called Verizon's Corporate phone number in New Jersey and they got things squared-away ASAP to include the $200 gift card promotion that couldn't be processed since our Triple Play order was terminal screwed-up. We would up getting two free months of service for our troubles.

I have a list of contacts should you ever need them. The service is top-notch, but their ordering and billing systems need improvement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)