Happy with Dish

project86

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 24, 2006
Just thought I'd post this as I seem to see lots of negative stuff here but little positive. Note that this only pertains to my particular experience; I can't speak for anyone else.

I have been a customer for about 3 years now. Using a 625. I have been wanting to upgrade to HD service since I got a 50" plasma last year, but I mostly watch Blu-ray and HD DVD movies so it didn't really matter. I had done the online chat several times, and called once, to see if I could get a lower price for an HD box. They always denied me and said it cost $150 or $200 for a 622 with install.

A few weeks ago I got a card in the mail saying I could upgrade for free. Which is funny because I had just done an online chat a few days prior and was quoted the $150 price. So I called and spoke to someone very pleasant who sounded like she was from the East Coast of the USA, rather than India like my prior call.

I did agree to a 2 year contract. What they ended up giving me was a free upgrade to a 622 including install, 3 credits of $39.99 on my 1st, 10th, and 20th months. Also free HBO and Starz for 3 months, and free HD platinum for 3 months. Also something like a $7 credit for a free HD PPV or VOD movie, which I'll probably never use. I asked about upgrading to a 722, they said it would be an extra $125, so I declined.

My appointment was only 2 days away, and the installer showed up towards the beginning part of the 4 hour window. He was very professional and even chatted with me about home theater in general. He brought a 722 with him and said he had no idea why Dish said I was getting a 622: he had not installed one in a long time.

So far I have been very happy with my 722 and HD service. I am loading up on all kinds of HD movies while I do have HBO, although I am very tempted to keep it after the free promo. Picture quality seems very good on my 50" 1080P plasma, although I can see (and hear!) the improvement on a good HD DVD or Blu-ray disc. Even some SD content looks much better now, like the Soaps that my wife watches.

The only minor issues that I have are the same ones that I had on my 625: some occasional artifacting on my local NBC feed, and more importantly the interuption of a recording program by the nightly update for the box. That last one is really annoying because it really should know better and skip the update for that day, or at least til the recording is done. Also I think in one instance it told me I had a recorded a movie for 1.5 hours when in reality it only had 20 minutes before it got cut off.

I guess we will see how happy I am when my first bill arrives. It should be my usual $56.XX, plus $10 for HD, and then next month a few extra dollars for a price increase next month(which the rep did mention on the phone, saying she believed it would only be a few dollars).

BTW, the installer mentioned the 922. He did not know release dates but said it was basically a 722 with a wireless feed for HD on the TV2 tuner. I have no idea if that is true because I stopped looking at the 922 when I saw the ugly remote.

Oh, another disappointment: What's with the $40 charge to let me add another external hard drive? Maybe that made sense back when it was a unique Dish feature, but the competition lets you add storage with no fee, so it needs to go. I would love to add a 1TB drive, and the price of the drives keeps dropping, but that $40 needs to go.

What you say about negative reports, related to Dish, can be said to relate with reporting news events of the day. Seems that most of us don't want to or won't pay attention to anything but "BAD" news. Strange behavior, to say the least. I'm certain that there are many Dish customers that never post to any forum or newsgroup that share your satisfied comments. Occasionally, favorable posts are made, but then "bad" seems to have a greater following??????????

You know you can set the time that your receiver does the daily update. I have my 622 set for 6am in the morning when the box is off and i am sleeping.

You know you can set the time that your receiver does the daily update. I have my 622 set for 6am in the morning when the box is off and i am sleeping.

Yes, I did change it to 6am as well, but it still shouldn't be my problem to work around. Yesterday I had a movie I wanted to record that started at 5:20am, so I had to skip and catch the next showing. But what if that had been the only showing?

Yes, I did change it to 6am as well, but it still shouldn't be my problem to work around. Yesterday I had a movie I wanted to record that started at 5:20am, so I had to skip and catch the next showing. But what if that had been the only showing?

Update timers will pick up that the dvr is being used and will not fire until after the recording is done.

Update timers will pick up that the dvr is being used and will not fire until after the recording is done.

Hmmm, well that has not been my experience thus far.

On another note; I think this thing is good for my budget overall. My reasoning is that I no longer have the urge to just buy anything that comes out on Blu-ray (or all the HD DVDs that I don't have). I'm getting used to movies and shows in HD so that I'm starting to be more selective. I used to just buy buy buy just for the eye candy alone, but I think I'm done with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)