Happy with the $19.99a month 4 a year deal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnnytuinals

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
Poconos
Well i have had Dishtv for 2weeks now and i am very happy....
1 dish leased me the HD receiver for Free so upgrading should be no problem if i want to .
2 Dish gave me the Americas 60 for $19.99 a month for a whole YEAR but i upgraded to the americas 60plus for another $5....$24.99 a month for the whole YEAR.with my NYC locals and my Local Sports MSG and NYC sports channel.
3 dish is giving me free HD programing for 6 months free and after that its $10 a month or can cancel if i want too.
4 The install was free with a super dish

I guess you would need to live in a odd part of town to get the $19.99 a month with locals.......

I will keep dishtv for a year and if not happy i can always downgrade with the NYC locals for $10.99 a month,what a deal huh lol...Johnny :hatsoff:

With getting it cheap for the first year, you would probably think different once the year was up and the prices went up a bit. I think Dish Network is doing this to compete against the cable offering the same type of deals to level the playing field a bit.

Stargazer said:
With getting it cheap for the first year, you would probably think different once the year was up and the prices went up a bit. I think Dish Network is doing this to compete against the cable offering the same type of deals to level the playing field a bit.

My E* bill just went up over $125.00/month. Local cable is offering a better package with HDTV PVR (SA 8300HD) and a SD PVR and all the same channels for about $88.00.

Yes, it is for 12 months -- but that is a savings of over $400 for 12 months service

What would you do?

Well i ONLY wanted the NYC LOCALS and was going to buy a Dishtv receiver for $99 at radio shack.
Receiver would cost me $100
Super Dish with install would have cost me Over $200
Local programing would have cost me $132 for the year Total$432 Plus

Dish is putting Super dish on roof Free Not $200 plus
Leaseing HD 801 Receiver is FREE not $100 to buy it
Programing is Americas 60 Plus $25 a month with HD programing for free for first 6 months. COST $300 for the year with NYC locals and sports.

So i am getting all this programing at a savings of $132 Plus
Now next year i will downgrade to the LOCALS only
And have had saved a few dollars in doing so.
All the other programs that i will be droping like CNN USA TNT HBO FOX i can get all that cheaper with my 10 Foot Satellite dish.....Like i said i really ONLY wanted the NYC locals lol.Johnny

I just love it when people compare apples and oranges.

Dish for $125 normal pricing vs. cable special temporary pricing at $88.

Let's hope these people never work at jobs where people's lives depend on their analytical fortitude.

One could also do the reverse arguement to show that Dish (temp deal) is a better deal than cable (normal pricing).

Normal vs. normal, Dish beats the snot out of Charter cable in my area.

David Dietzel said:
I just love it when people compare apples and oranges.

Dish for $125 normal pricing vs. cable special temporary pricing at $88.

Let's hope these people never work at jobs where people's lives depend on their analytical fortitude.

One could also do the reverse arguement to show that Dish (temp deal) is a better deal than cable (normal pricing).

I was reluctant to respond to your insuting remarks but my analytical skills include training in financial analysis. Have you not heard of the term "opportunity cost"? I rational person would save the $400.00.

If the price of gas dropped 25% at the station accross the street from your normal station are you telling us that you would continue to pay the higher price because the price drop was temporary? PLUEEEZE!

Now look at what I wrote:

FREE SD PVR
LEASE HD PVR $9.95
Better package than ALL America package.
NO LEASE fees on digital boxes.

OK -- Get it? In addition to the $400 I would save over 12 months I DO NOT have to spend $700 on a 942 to get an HD PVR. The payback on the 942 vs the 9.95 lease is 70 months. By then MPEG 4 boxes will have replaced all the MPEG 2 equipment so I would lose money on the 942.

At the end of the promotion I have the option to go back to Dish or take an offer from D*.

Thinking is good.

Its funny i just bought another Radio shack receiver and DishTv is charging me $4.99 a month.
Go to put it on my brothers house so he can enjoy the same programing as i am getting.Why should he buy dish when i can just get another receiver and hook him up for free lol....I thought Dishtv would charge you another $5 with out a phoneline at $9.99 a month?
Glad its only $4.99 a month that they are giving me.......JohnnyT

David Dietzel said:
But, apparently, the Cable company in RUQRU's area gets to keep its snot.

He did an apples to apples comparison, and the apples in his Cable company's orchard are just better. (Certainly cheaper.)

johnnytuinals said:
Well i ONLY wanted the NYC LOCALS and was going to buy a Dishtv receiver for $99 at radio shack.
Receiver would cost me $100
Super Dish with install would have cost me Over $200
Local programing would have cost me $132 for the year Total$432 Plus

If all you want is locals, why do you need a Superdish?

NY locals are on 119 & 61.5, not Superdish

GaryPen said:
But, apparently, the Cable company in RUQRU's area gets to keep its snot.

He did an apples to apples comparison, and the apples in his Cable company's orchard are just better. (Certainly cheaper.)

Exactly!

Well Mr. Iceberg you are very right i only wanted the NYC locals.
I have a 10 foot dish and wanted L.A. and NYC locals only....
Was only going to put up a dish 500 but thought it would cost me with shipping around $75
And have them come around would have cost me another $125 to $150,,,They get $60 a hour...
and the receiver from radio shack would be another $100
Local Programing $133
TOTAL $433 - $488

Since dish offered the americas 60 at $19.99 a month for the year with free install free leasing of HD receiver and 6 months of HD programing free.But i felt let me upgrade to the americas 60Plus for $25 a month...
I am sure most of you would do the same if Dishtv offered it to you all.

Total for the year $300

Zowie!

The only text I responded to was this:

My E* bill just went up over $125.00/month. Local cable is offering a better package with HDTV PVR (SA 8300HD) and a SD PVR and all the same channels for about $88.00.

Yes, it is for 12 months -- but that is a savings of over $400 for 12 months service

What would you do?

In which and apple to oranges comparison was indeed made regarding monthly cost; that is, a special 12-month promotion of $88 vs. regular pricing of $125.

One could certainly go back and forth between sat and cable each year, using one provider's special 12-month plan and then another's. And so on and so on. That's not hardly the same as pumping gas across the street at another station -- and no station is going to have a 25% difference in price -- unless of course, one is once again comparing apples and oranges -- say, comparing premium full serve at one station with regular self serve at another.

I was faced with a similar situation. Cable offered a package for 12 months that was about $30/month less than Dish normal prices with all monthly fees considered. Most cable companies are offering this type of deal for people who leave satellite -- your cable carrier is doing what they all are doing. Beginning on the 13th month, the situation essentially would reverse itself, but with Dish beinbg nearly $40/month less. So one would be with cable one year, switch back to Dish for the next year with their latest new customer promo, then back to cable, yada, yada. What a hassle. Or, one could just switch to cable for one year and then go back to Dish -- that is certainly possible. Beyond the simple monthly money issue, the SA8000HD and SA8300HD did not hold a candle to the 942 in terms of picture quality (cable images were quite soft), performance (slow channel switching and lockups) or ease of use (very clunky programming guide compared to the 942). As an existing customer, and using the cable offer as part of the negotiation, I was able to convince Dish to let me lease a 942 with the new customer programming offer and it was definitely worth the effort. You could have acquired a 942 lease and programming price break if you had approached Dish properly.

Comparing special vs. regular pricing is just plain flawed. I wish that folks would show what the after 12-month special pricing was when compared to Dish. And, consider all aspects of such a change beyond simple dollars.

Complete and honest thinking is definitely good.

David Dietzel said:
Comparing special vs. regular pricing is just plain flawed. I wish that folks would show what the after 12-month special pricing was when compared to Dish. And, consider all aspects of such a change beyond simple dollars.
Which is exactly what he did do. You see, he added up the promo period savings, which were substantial, and factored that in to the regular pricing that will follow, and averaged it out.

You also didn't follow your own example when completely ignoring the additional $700 savings gotten with the cable company's HD DVR vs. the Dish 942. That is substantial money.

There is also the $5.99/month Dish DHPP warranty that is not needed with cable, as they do not charge for service calls or equipment replacement. (I believe Dish still charges $14.95 shipping, even with the warranty!!!)

And, btw, what other aspects are there besides the simple dollars? Reliable equipment? Local network and regional sports in HD? Channels like NFL, Oxygen, etc? Nothing sticking out of the roof or side of the house? Hmmm. You may have a point.

GaryPen said:
Which is exactly what he did do. ...

And, btw, what other aspects are there besides the simple dollars? Reliable equipment? Local network and regional sports in HD? Channels like NFL, Oxygen, etc? Nothing sticking out of the roof or side of the house? Hmmm. You may have a point.

I have no problem with E* service or PQ. Nor do I have a problem with the physical dish on my house. I do have an issue with rain fade during the heavy Florida storms (even though it's just damn hot this week with only a 20% rain chance).

I DO have a problem with the "VALUE PROPOSITION." You know the marketing concept -- what you get for you money. As Gary points out there are other savings including not having to pay for service calls if needed.

Right now IF you have a high quality cable provider in your area E* is not offering a competitive package of goods. The 942 may be superior to the SA8300HD. Is it $700 out of pocket better? That is for each to decide. Also when E* goes to MPEG 4 will E* swap out the 942 for the new model? I doubt it based on their current marketing approach.

Cable HD is still MPEG 2. If they switch to MPEG 4 there will be no charge for the box other than the monthly fee. What is the breakeven point? That is an unkown. But I still avoid buying a $700 PVR that becomes obsolete within a short time according to E*'s MPEG 4 announcement.

Now David may be right that is is somewhat a hassle to keep changing providers to save money and that is a choice that must be evaluated on a case by case basis. But to say that over $400 over 12 months is something to ignore is something I cannot do. When I add the out of pocket $700 for a 942 (E* does not lease to existing subscribers) the value proposition is pretty clear and E* loses big time. Again I am not bashing E* for PQ and general quality of service. If they offered a competitive package of service -- including HD Locals, then customers would not consider switching.

I know Gary has discussed his reason for switching at length and these discussions lead to some repetition -- so I have nothing more to add.

According the the WSJ satellite subscription growth is flat. Why? E* does not care if one person leaves. Even if they monitor these boards they are not going to change their value pricing because they know the population on this forum is less than .001% of their base. But for each person with limited entertainment funds in the budget it is a big deal and people will vote with their dollars...

well said.And whats the problem with switching each year?If you can save a few hundred dollars a year,i would go for it...............................JT

So how did you get a Superdish as part of this? Unless your locals are on SD, they give you a Dish500

Well I am sure(but can be wrong)that i have a Superdish with 3 LNBs and i think they said you need a Superdish when you get HD programing.....
Just bought off of Ebay a Dish500 for my brother and a extra receiver,Dish said they will charge me $4.99 a month extra with the extra receiver..
Turned on receiver and getting all the programing at my house,but i have to wait till the Dish500 gets to my brothers house so i can install the receiver lol.....Thought it would be a Tad higher if you don't have a phone hookedup.....Lady says only $4.99 more,what a deal.JohnnyT :)

johnnytuinals said:
Just bought off of Ebay a Dish500 for my brother and a extra receiver,Dish said they will charge me $4.99 a month extra with the extra receiver..
Turned on receiver and getting all the programing at my house,but i have to wait till the Dish500 gets to my brothers house so i can install the receiver lol...

Am I the only one seeing something wrong with this picture. Does this not scream "i'm account packing, audit team come turn off my service"?

Yea you can look at it that way,,,,,,,,But i am sure i am not the only one is doing it?JohnnyT
I was going to get Starchoice from Canada before i got Dishtv.What would happen if the FCC found out if i was getting my programming from Canada lol...Don't think they would care at alllllllll.JohnnyT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)