Happy with Voom?

scott5626

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
I'm very close: I have got the phone in my hand to ready to call Voom for installation, is the general public happy or unhappy with Voom? I have Dish network now, and I can cancel anytime. Dishnetwork looks overcompressed and blurry to me.(SD channels) Would anyone think I could see an improvement? Please give me your opinions.

Very happy here.. I also have D*. I also had RCN cable HD before this. You should have seen that piece of junk box and guide. They new software is pretty good. Now all I need is Playboy HD and ESPN HD and D* gets another turn down on the program notch. The OTA antenna they gave me works just fine I get all my locals without any problem.

scott5626 said:
Dishnetwork looks overcompressed and blurry to me.(SD channels) Would anyone think I could see an improvement? Please give me your opinions.
Oh yes! You will see a dramatic improvement regarding SD channels! The one you don't even expect: If you are like many of us, you will stop watching them pretty soon :yes

I cancelled the service and am still waiting my refund, but I must say the picture quality was excellent. If you can get in with no out of pocket expense I'd say go for it.

After the wow factor wears off see if you still like it. After a while it has to come down to content and it just wasn't there for me.

YMMV

Windoor

Very happy

Yes, there is no comparison. My wife was the most hesitant at first and now I can't get the remote from her. I had Cox Cable and was most happy with them, just as our ancestors were probably happy with their B&W tv's of yester year. There is no going back once you start watching all the HD offerings.

Don't get too worked up about all the seemingly negative issues regarding VOOM. The HD quality of the stations are most excellent and I really like thier unique channel line-ups.

There is still some growing pains (more like flea bites than pain) that people address on this site but that's in-part what this site is for. This site is what convinced me to go with VOOM. You can rest ashured that any issues you have will be quickly addressed by the kind moderators and other folk here. Just one caution, once you take the HD Pill and go down the rabbit hole, there is no going back...

Super Happy!!!.....sure Voom has some quirks, just like any new service. Dish and Direct were even worse in thier early days. But all in all, I would not give up Voom for anything....well they could give me a LOT of money and I might think about it...LOL

Seriously, Voom is awesome, and only gonna get better

I have had VOOM now for 1.5 days......before I offer my opinion on VOOM, lemme begin by addressing the fact that I have had HDTV with D* in the past and I currently receive HDTV with Cablevision IO.

If you are NEW to HDTV then VOOM will knock your socks off. However, as a person who has already been "seasoned" with HD, VOOM is just a way to have a variety of HD "looking" material to watch.

Some of these so-called "exclusive" channels... lets BE REAL... MOST people are not going to be intersted. The average person wants Hollywood Bolockbusters and mainstream programming. Not Auctions in High Def.... :no

I am not hating on Voom... Im just trying to keep it really real. I mean come on... I told my daughter that she could now watch cartoons in HD (she is 4)... she was sorta excited... but when I got the service installed and I tuned into Animania.... majority of the cartoons that played in a 3 hr period were either cartoons from my Mother's period or shows she had NEVER heard of.

Ideally, VOOM is an extroadinary addition to the HDTV revolution. But in order to appease the majority of people and possibly take some subscribers from the Competition, they are gonna have to secure some MAINSTREAM programming.

Thats just my opinion..... I have been known to be wrong a time or 2.... thousand lol....

To me one of Vooms biggest sellng feature is that there is no commitment. After being stuck with D* for 7 months and being unhappy for a while and unable to do anything about it was driving me crazy.

Compared to TWC in my area ...NY... VOOm is a no brainer. Its so much better its not funny. Im never getting rid of VOOM , Im happy with it for the most part. I would like to see better content on their ch's but when you compare it to my other HD options in my area...voom is the way to go.

I have seen the channel list on Vooms website but can someone help me to understand exactly what channels I will get with the $39.90 package? Thanks.

Windoor said:
I cancelled the service and am still waiting my refund, but I must say the picture quality was excellent. If you can get in with no out of pocket expense I'd say go for it.

After the wow factor wears off see if you still like it. After a while it has to come down to content and it just wasn't there for me.

YMMV

Windoor

So, where are you going now for content? D* ? E*? Just curious...

With Dish Network and DirecTV, you can get the following movie channels in HD:

HBOHD-E
ShowtimeHD-E

With VOOM, you can get:

HBOHD-E
HBOHD-W
ShowtimeHD-E
ShowtimeHD-W
TheMovieChannelHD-E
CinemaxHD-E
CinemaxHD-W
StarzHD-E
StarzHD-W
EncoreHD-E (March 29)

On top of that, getting all movie channels with VOOM costs about $20 less than DirecTV.

Does Voom ever offer any free tryouts of plus packs? Dish Network won't budge.BTW..I signed up with Vomm tonight my install is set for April 5.

Anything I should pay special attention to at install?

scott,

They haven't offered any free previews for lease customers yet. I would strongly urge you to get the $79.90/mo package for at least one month to try all the channels. The best part of VOOM is all the premium movie channels they offer in HDTV, imo.

If you are concerned about rain fade, you might want to buy a 24" or 30" dish now (cost about $30 + shipping) and have the installer mount it instead.

scott5626 said:
Does Voom ever offer any free tryouts of plus packs? Dish Network won't budge.BTW..I signed up with Vomm tonight my install is set for April 5.

Anything I should pay special attention to at install?

Their are a couple threads on this, but this is the best one. Call your local installer to confirm and don't take the diplex.

www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=2052

tattootearz said:
If you are NEW to HDTV then VOOM will knock your socks off. However, as a person who has already been "seasoned" with HD, VOOM is just a way to have a variety of HD "looking" material to watch.

Some of these so-called "exclusive" channels... lets BE REAL... MOST people are not going to be intersted. The average person wants Hollywood Bolockbusters and mainstream programming. Not Auctions in High Def.... :no

Ideally, VOOM is an extroadinary addition to the HDTV revolution. But in order to appease the majority of people and possibly take some subscribers from the Competition, they are gonna have to secure some MAINSTREAM programming.

Thats just my opinion..... I have been known to be wrong a time or 2.... thousand lol....

i am glad someone agrees with me.

i mean ya to some people..exlusive channels are just so great. theres always gonna be people that love it.

heck who would have thought people liked country music.

I'm extremely pleased with Voom. My install went well, customer service has been great and I love all the HD. The Voom STB has better looking OTA HD than my Dish 6000. Sure, the fashion, auction and art channels are kinda useless but they are still good for demoing to friends.

I am a seasoned HD viewer and I do agree that the HD is not as sharp as HDNET or OTA HD but it is not such a severe degredation of quality that it bothers me. Quite the opposite, I know the source material is old and I expect nothing more from it. The Monster channel, Rave, Rush and PlayboyHD have become my favorite channels. The actual HD stuff on PlayboyHD looks awesome.

Hopefully when they get MPEG4 going, they can devote a bit more bandwidth to all the channels and not cram more SD crap down our throats.

The only gripe I really have with Voom is the User Interface, the Guide totally sucks.

If you have the HDTV you NEED Voom! No money upfront, free installation, all those channels...What have you got to lose? Only risk is that you'll sit in your theater all day in amazement and not get anything done! Trust me, I know! Just be patient and flexible on your install date and be SURE to call on your install day and confirm your time. I had to reschedule but the installer was very cool (although somewhat overworked) and better late than never is a good thing to keep in mind when your one of the first to jump on something new.

I went with my local cable company. I get HD Discovery, Hd ESPN, HD Net (2 channels)HD PBS, and Hd local channels for $22.90 per month. The picture quality is a little softer than with Voom, but is acceptable

I did get my refund from Voom today. That will pay the extra cable charge for three years.

Windoor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)