Hard Drive Bargain Watch

Here is best deal ever on external hard drive

I'm new here so I am not sure if I can do this. If not, let the mods zap me. I just went to PC Universe.com and found a top brand 750gb external hard drive at a give away price. It is the WD My Book Pro Edition WDG 1T7500 with firewire and 3 year warranty. It is listed for $101, no rebate. If this is on the up and up it represents one of the best deals ever in electronics/pc accessories. PC Universe is a pretty well respected place and I've done business with them before - they are also an Amazon store affiliate.

My email confirmation receipt shows $110.84 shipped. That is unreal and, indeed, it may be as it could be a price mistake. In any event, it is worth a try and if they come back with a price mistake notice you have not lost anything. If you do try, I suggest doing so real quick.

Hold on. I have done some store reviews and they are bad. Some people have indicated they do this sort of thing a lot where they advertise something at a low price then come back and say it is not available. However, they have your credit card information so who knows what they will do with it. Sorry I even brought it up and should have checked earlier but my one prior dealing with them was very positive and I got a good product at a good price. Buyer beware.

Last edited:
That is an awesome deal. Amazon.com is selling for $299. This must be a closeout and/or PC Universe got a get back-to-school deal from the manufacturer and/or a load of them fell off a truck. I would say go for it if this will work with the 622. I am sure thought that E* will probably be having some sort of lease deal in a few weeks or months for some sort of external hard drive.

That is an awesome deal. Amazon.com is selling for $299. This must be a closeout and/or PC Universe got a get back-to-school deal from the manufacturer and/or a load of them fell off a truck. I would say go for it if this will work with the 622. I am sure thought that E* will probably be having some sort of lease deal in a few weeks or months for some sort of external hard drive.

I did not even see this on Amazon and can't find it there. I did find it at Buy.com and several other places at around $300. This is the pro edition which I think is the top of the line WD model. They have a premium and essential line but the Pro Edition has extra features. We probably don't need these features for our 622 transfers but at this price you can't find any 750gb drives, let alone a top one like this. You can see all their hard drives but to find this one just go to their search box and type in wd pro edition and select hard drives in the drop down menu. That way you can compare this with all the other, similar pro edition models.

Like I said in my op, further checking shows that although there are good reviews of this store, many people have had bad experiences with them. I would proceed with caution because as the old saying goes, if it is too good to be true it probably isn't.

Last edited:
Amazon.com did appear after doing a Yahoo! shopping search earlier this morning, but the link is gone now. However, Amazon.com has a bunch of other WD hard drives at some good prices.

Well, I tried to complete the purchase (Paypal), but I didn't receive confirmation after hitting continue. I have a couple of 500Gb WD My Book USB/eSata drives that I picked up from BB for $129 in the Spring and I really like them. I would love to have this drive at the advertized price, but great HDD deals can always be had.

I had bought from them in the past without a problem. I ordered the drive even though it was out of stock. Let's see what happens.

Newegg, which is the best retailer in any area of sales that I have ever dealt with, has some 500gb drives for under $100 after rebate. I would go through them, they are excellent. I bought all the parts to the PC that I built through them and NEVER had a problem.

I'm new here so I am not sure if I can do this. If not, let the mods zap me. I just went to PC Universe.com and found a top brand 750gb external hard drive at a give away price. It is the WD My Book Pro Edition WDG 1T7500 with firewire and 3 year warranty. It is listed for $101, no rebate. If this is on the up and up it represents one of the best deals ever in electronics/pc accessories. PC Universe is a pretty well respected place and I've done business with them before - they are also an Amazon store affiliate.

Circuit City is selling the WD 750gB external for $219 this week, at least in SoCal. I bought one two weeks ago on a similar promotion. Question: your info listed "firewire." Doesn't this have to be USB 2.0 to work on the DISH 622?

Circuit City is selling the WD 750gB external for $219 this week, at least in SoCal. I bought one two weeks ago on a similar promotion. Question: your info listed "firewire." Doesn't this have to be USB 2.0 to work on the DISH 622?
Firewire AND usb 2.0

Well, I'm even sorry I started this thread. I knew many of you (as well as myself) wanted a good external drive for the Aug. 15 roll out. I was all excited about this when I found it and thought I would share the great deal with you all right away only to find out the orders may not go through due to a possible price mistake. To top it all off, I have since found out this store has played these tricks before although I and many others have had good dealings with them in year's past. In any event, I hope no one gets the shaft buying this thing and who knows, there is a chance this is all legit - we shall see.

Here's what i see b&m today

Best Buy: Seagate 500GB for $149.99, WD 500GB for $119.99, WD 750GB for $199.99
Circuit City: Maxtor 500GB for $119.99, WD 750GB for $219.99
CompUSA: WD 500GB for $129.99, WD 1TB (overkill due to the 750GB limit) for $379.99
Fry's: not the bargain leader this week Acom Data 500GB for $119.99
Office Depot: Simpletech 500GB for $129.99, WD 1TB for $319.99
Office Max: Seagate 500gb for $119.99

Sorry to put this here, but I can't seem to find the hd bargain watch thread. :confused:

Here's what i see b&m today (originally posted in the mistaken online bargain thread -- oops)

Best Buy: Seagate 500GB for $149.99, WD 500GB for $119.99, WD 750GB for $199.99
Circuit City: Maxtor 500GB for $119.99, WD 750GB for $219.99
CompUSA: WD 500GB for $129.99, WD 1TB (overkill due to the 750GB limit) for $379.99
Fry's: (not the bargain leader this week) Acom Data 500GB for $119.99
Office Depot: Simpletech 500GB for $129.99, WD 1TB for $319.99
Office Max: Seagate 500gb for $119.99

There's no Staples insert in the Austin paper.