Hard Drive Bargain Watch

Yes. I don't write the s/w but I constantly work on, maintain, & service the h/w at the TV station where I work.

The raid controller and embedded software for handling file services is already in place on the standalone. The DVR is simply going to id the disk/vloume(s), initialize the volume and read/write data. How that gets striped to the drives and parity blocks written is done by the raid controller in the standalone not by the DVR.

How much TV are you guys gonna archive and why?

I can't even find enough shows to fill up the drive I already have!

Even P0rn isn't even woth archiving :D

Will E* enable

The raid controller and embedded software for handling file services is already in place on the standalone. The DVR is simply going to id the disk/vloume(s), initialize the volume and read/write data. How that gets striped to the drives and parity blocks written is done by the raid controller in the standalone not by the DVR.

You are assuming that E* will allow the system to communicate with a controller card of a RAID. I know that 1 of our servers is only 160 gb and the set-up for it has been a royal "B".

You are assuming that E* will allow the system to communicate with a controller card of a RAID. I know that 1 of our servers is only 160 gb and the set-up for it has been a royal "B".

No, I have said the opposite the whole time. I'm assuming nothing. Your server might not know how to communicate with your raid controller but in a standalone raid device, the attaching device IS TOLD that they are connecting to a single volume. The stand alone raid does all the work. The dvr sees a single volume.

A standalone raid will tell the DVR it is a single volume. The dvr will treat it like a single volume. The standalone will handle all the necessary functions to stripe and parity check.

What OS are you using on the server with the 160gb raid? What raid controller are you using?

How much TV are you guys gonna archive and why?

I can't even find enough shows to fill up the drive I already have!

Even P0rn isn't even woth archiving :D

HD takes up much space on the one drive Dish gives us. I'd like to be able to keep at least a couple weeks of HD without having to watch everything when it is less convenient.

ALSO: HDDVD and BluRay are temporary solutions - I will not buy either, so I need hard disks to store HD on until a real HD solution is created.

What real solution are you looking for? Blu-ray can give you 7.1 audio, 24 bit master quality audio, and much, much larger video bitrates than satellite or the internet could ever give you in the forseeable future.

Also, original aspect ratio and little to no compression artifacting!!

I would not want a low quality, pay per play system that MS and the studios want. DIVX was bad enough.

YES! I was so glad to see divx go down in flames. Reusing the name today is just confusing.

External HD Format

Anyone know what format will be used for the USB HDs....NFTS or Fat 32? Reason I ask I have seen some Seagate external drives will not go Fat 32.

Server 2003

No, I have said the opposite the whole time. I'm assuming nothing. Your server might not know how to communicate with your raid controller but in a standalone raid device, the attaching device IS TOLD that they are connecting to a single volume. The stand alone raid does all the work. The dvr sees a single volume.

A standalone raid will tell the DVR it is a single volume. The dvr will treat it like a single volume. The standalone will handle all the necessary functions to stripe and parity check.

What OS are you using on the server with the 160gb raid? What raid controller are you using?

Windows server 2003

Anyone know what format will be used for the USB HDs....NFTS or Fat 32? Reason I ask I have seen some Seagate external drives will not go Fat 32.

Microsoft has stopped their format tools from formatting FAT32 beyond 32GB and their reasoning is that FAT32 wastes drive space above 32GB in creating its allocation table. If you still want to use FAT32, you need a 98 or ME boot disk or a third party tool to format the whole drive to FAT32. It will still work with XP or Vista.

Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

If Dish initializes the disk, it may wind up as one of the linux formats anyway.

If Dish "initializes" the disc, does this mean that they will be reformatting it? I mean, what if I have data already on the drive for PC-related purposes?

I wouldn't be trying that out as my first external drive. Hopefully, we will know more when the option is made available. The PocketDish is FAT32 but the drive inside your 622 is NOT.

If Dish "initializes" the disc, does this mean that they will be reformatting it? I mean, what if I have data already on the drive for PC-related purposes?

My best guess is that it is going to reformat the drive. Maybe not, but I'd be willing to bet it will.

Microsoft has stopped their format tools from formatting FAT32 beyond 32GB and their reasoning is that FAT32 wastes drive space above 32GB in creating its allocation table. If you still want to use FAT32, you need a 98 or ME boot disk or a third party tool to format the whole drive to FAT32. It will still work with XP or Vista.

If Dish initializes the disk, it may wind up as one of the linux formats anyway.

Windows XP allow you format a partition as FAT32 if it have size less then 127 GB. Did it recently for 120 GB and 160 GB disks.

It will almost certainly be a unix file system, and if they're smart it will be one with logging.

Cheers,

DVR percent meter issue

No signal Port 4 External LNB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)