Hard Drive Bargain Watch

I already did that earlier in the thread.

Yes, I wanted KAB input. More of what he likes vs dislikes. This is a good thread, I suspect we will all be buying within a month. Let's look at many options.

Odd, that WD lists capacity up to 30 hrs of HD video. Earlier it was posted that OTA HD 1080i would approximate 10GB per hour. Pretty big difference. Wouldn't you expect that this thing could hold at least 60 hours of Dish HD?

Yes, I wanted KAB input. More of what he likes vs dislikes. This is a good thread, I suspect we will all be buying within a month. Let's look at many options.

Odd, that WD lists capacity up to 30 hrs of HD video. Earlier it was posted that OTA HD 1080i would approximate 10GB per hour. Pretty big difference. Wouldn't you expect that this thing could hold at least 60 hours of Dish HD?
If you look at the WD page again, they contradict themselves. At the top it says, 60, at the bottom, 30. My guess is the bottom is an error and probably refers to their 320GB drive. All in all, a pretty poor website.
Due to lack of availability, I'm steering away from the "AV" drives. I'm leaning toward this drive after checking the Scientific Atlantic study. If it does not perform as expected, I can always find other uses for it.
Western Digital Caviar SE 16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s at ZipZoomfly
Best price I've found so far.

I'm leaning toward this drive after checking the Scientific Atlantic study. If it does not perform as expected, I can always find other uses for it.
Western Digital Caviar SE 16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s at ZipZoomfly
Best price I've found so far.

Hopefully, the larger cache will help make up for the delays caused by the error correction used that is tuned for data accuracy versus video streaming. If you plan on moving the recordings back and forth, the error correction methods won't be a problem but streaming off the drive you might get an ocassional stutter.

Wow! I just checked it again and the 99.00 with free ground is gone! Put up a notice and those drives sell out!

There is another that says 98 something and free UPS.

My point, check all search engines because drives and ram are very volatile.

Attachments

• DSCI0012.JPG
    DSCI0012.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 147
i will wait tos ee if all drives are compatible. i might be overly cautious but.......

Dish MPEG

OTA HD clocks in at right around 10GB/hour for 1080i channels.

Dish will be somewhat lower than this due to MPEG-4 encoding on a number of channels and other factors (here we go again!).

Cheers,

John:

I've seen that 10GB/hr kicked around before, but if the 622 ship with a 320GB HDD, and 1/2 of that is reserved for Dish on Demand (or whatever it's called), that leave 160GB (i.e. 16 hrs) for recordings...yet it holds 30+ hours?!?

Am I misquoting the size of the HDD in the 622? Or does Dish programming only take appx 5GB/hr for MPEG-2, and less for MPEG-4, -vs- 10GB/hr for OTA?

Thanks!

John:

I've seen that 10GB/hr kicked around before, but if the 622 ship with a 320GB HDD, and 1/2 of that is reserved for Dish on Demand (or whatever it's called), that leave 160GB (i.e. 16 hrs) for recordings...yet it holds 30+ hours?!?

Am I misquoting the size of the HDD in the 622? Or does Dish programming only take appx 5GB/hr for MPEG-2, and less for MPEG-4, -vs- 10GB/hr for OTA?

Thanks!

See my post #106
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd...ure-vip622-vip722-coming-8-15-39-99-a-11.html

What I usually do is purchase and IDE 500gb hard drive and then purchase a USB case for it and your good to go. Its a cheap way of doing it.

What I usually do is purchase and IDE 500gb hard drive and then purchase a USB case for it and your good to go. Its a cheap way of doing it.

As I have mentioned in another thread, it's a more expensive way of doing it, because you are paying 3 profit margins, instead of one. The manufacturers pay large volume discount wholesale prices for the drive, the enclosure, and the cables.

If you find a quality external HD that has good reviews, it is almost always cheaper than the individual components.

DVR percent meter issue

No signal Port 4 External LNB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)