Hard Drive Bargain Watch

Often the missing piece of information is "which year". Some years of Maxtors were fine, other years were not so good, and same for all the other brands.

Google buys many thousands of HDs and did some statistical research, and IIRC the only consistent thread running through it all was that hard drives fail. :(

Google buys many thousands of HDs and did some statistical research, and IIRC the only consistent thread running through it all was that hard drives fail. :(

We have a winner. Hard Drives are mechanical components (the only one really) and what fails the most? :D

OTOH, I've never had a bad DIMM and I've been through thousands of them. Even when they were SIMMs ;)

Cheers,

We have a winner. Hard Drives are mechanical components (the only one really) and what fails the most? :D

OTOH, I've never had a bad DIMM and I've been through thousands of them. Even when they were SIMMs ;)

Cheers,

And of course I can refute that DIMM's never fail. I had one fail self-test in my desktop back a couple of months. HP replaced it, but...

(This was a 2G FB-DIMM).

LER

Interesting discovery

Regarding WD and Seagate EXTERNAL HDs. WD warranty is 1 year from "manufacturing date". Seagate is 5 years. FYI. Warranty for WD internal drives are 3 years. Makes me wonder!?!?

I have always used Western Digital drives and have never had a problem. The old 1 gig drive I had wayyyy back in the day still works.

You aint lieing....I still have two 1.6GB drives from like 97'-98' that just wont die....

Most importat thing here is to make sure it is a server class drive/raid quality MTBF <1.2milll...

For WD that would be thedrives that end in YS.

Maxtor 300GB + 20GB Ultra DMA/100 16MB Buffer Retail Hard Drive Kit $69.99 + shipping

For those of you that have PATA enclosures and need HD:

These are Seagate built! $69.99 + shipping

* BONUS 20GB FREE!!
* Seek Time: 8.9ms
* 7200RPM
* 16MB Buffer
* Ultra ATA 100 Interface
* Ultra Quiet Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) Motor
* 3 Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty

Go HERE to see Maxtor 300GB Ultra DMA/100 16MB Buffer L01Y300 - Retail Hard Drive Kit

The 750 GB limitation was just temporary and I believe they have already gotten rid of the limitation even before it goes live. If you watch the demo video, he clearly states that the system will support multiple TBs at once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)