Hard Drive Bargain Watch

Oh yeah?? Well I just ordered a 20TB external HD with 2 heat fans and liquid cooling for $179.87 delivered.
That's nice, but I'm waiting for the LN2-cooled 1.2 PB external enclosure to come down a little more in price. I just need to dig out the 4'Wx6'Lx10'D hole in the backyard to house the Liquid Nitrogen dewer tanks and trench in the N2 supply lines to my entertainment center, then I'll be set to archive every HD program Dish has ever broadcast or could broadcast in the next 15 years.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to add... :D

Fry's has the Buffalo 500GB on sale for $109. I'm tempted, but I will wait until Dish enables the feature as everything now consists of just promises, rumor and speculation. I've already had one of these Buffalo's connected to my desktop for 6 months. I paid $129 (actually $179 minus a $50 mail-in rebate). It's worked wonderfully.

If Dish only allows archiving, then (IMHO) a 750GB drive doesn't make economic sense. One can just use multiple 500GB (the sweet spot) external drives. If they allow direct recording, then obviously I will go for the most I can afford. :D

Seagate Freeagent 500 GB hard drive on sale at Best Buy for $129.95. That is a $40 off sale and runs through 8/11. I did a lot of research and the 5year parts and labor warrenty is hard to beat. For most other 500GB drives the add on warrenty for 2 years is $39.95. That is still 2 years less than the Seagates.

Seagate Freeagent 500 GB hard drive on sale at Best Buy for $129.95. That is a $40 off sale and runs through 8/11. I did a lot of research and the 5year parts and labor warrenty is hard to beat. For most other 500GB drives the add on warrenty for 2 years is $39.95. That is still 2 years less than the Seagates.

Bought one at BB today, and wondered why I didn't get the sales pitch on buying an extended warranty at the checkout...guess a 5-yr mfg warranty is even better, and one that BB won't extend! :)

Bought one at BB today, and wondered why I didn't get the sales pitch on buying an extended warranty at the checkout...guess a 5-yr mfg warranty is even better, and one that BB won't extend! :)
Let us know how it looks & sounds. This is the drive I wanted to get; like you said, a five year warranty is hard to beat.:up

I'm thinkin' of picking up one of these at Circuit City:

Western Digital 500 GB My Book Essentials:

WD 500 GB $129.99

Yeah, I just looked at that same page. I think thats what I will start with. Price is right, and I have been happy with my My Book 320GB Premium. I thought about going for the USb/Firewire version, but think I will save the money for now.

Let us know how it looks & sounds. This is the drive I wanted to get; like you said, a five year warranty is hard to beat.:up

Looks:

It's on a non-detachable stand (that's where the USB and power plug in). Looks pretty stealthy except for the yellow light bar running on the vertical front edge (but I have it hidden behind the TV so that wont' be an issue for me).

Sound:

What sound? Had to touch it to know that it was actually working!

blackjackmark: :up Thanks for that review.

rocky, if you have a BB, the FreeAgent has a warranty that is 4 years longer than the MyBook warranty. I'm just saying...

Yeah, I just looked at that same page. I think thats what I will start with. Price is right, and I have been happy with my My Book 320GB Premium. I thought about going for the USb/Firewire version, but think I will save the money for now.

The other thing I noticed was that the more expensive WD "premium" ones that have the pretty blue lights might only have 8 meg buffers while the "Essentials" version have 16 meg buffer. WD site does not state buffer size- Only place that listed buffer size was Circuit City, and it indicated 8 meg for the Premium one. Looks like for more money you get more connectivity options (not usable with the 622) and that neat blue gauge, but the actual Harddrive is not as good!

Anyone know if this is really the case? Typo on CC website?

Drives in question:

Western Digital 500GB Premium External Hard Drive (WDG1C5000N)

Western Digital Essentials 500GB External Hard Drive (WDG1U5000N)

keep an eye on ecost eCOST.com - Online Discount Superstore home electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players .
Go to the bargain countdown. If you're willing to do a rebate you can get a 500g for $90. I bought a couple of the beyond micro units and they seem fine. Most have a switchable fan.

There's also one for $99 thats usb/esata. esata is useless for the 622 but full hdd speed when connected to a pc. I'm picked up one and am going to use it to clear off pc content from a usb only 500 gigger (purchased a year ago whey dish first announced).

keep an eye on ecost eCOST.com - Online Discount Superstore home electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players .
Go to the bargain countdown. If you're willing to do a rebate you can get a 500g for $90. I bought a couple of the beyond micro units and they seem fine. Most have a switchable fan.

There's also one for $99 thats usb/esata. esata is useless for the 622 but full hdd speed when connected to a pc. I'm picked up one and am going to use it to clear off pc content from a usb only 500 gigger (purchased a year ago whey dish first announced).

I have bought from eCost and earlier I saw this unit, so tell us if this is quite and if the fan needs to be turned on,please.

DVR percent meter issue

No signal Port 4 External LNB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)