Hard Drive Bargain Watch

Assuming you installed a 2TB on your receiver, is there an easy way to transfer programs from your existing ext HD to the new one? I have a 750GB that is full, I would like to get a bigger drive only if there is an easy way to transfer all the files over :D
Why? Just get another drive and start another library. It's best not to have all your eggs in one basket if the drive fails. And as others with BIG drives have noted, it's a pain to scroll through it all.

So do you simply switch drives or can you hookup more than one using a USB hub?

FYI, WD 2TB is on sale here, for approx $119. With Bing, look for "Camcorders" (refresh a few times till you see a best buy 10% off link) and you could potentially get another $12 off! (Best Buy does not tell you exactly how much BCB you can get until after the purchase)

Western Digital - WD Elements 2TB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive - WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN

Last edited:
Thanks, good to know. My fear was that the DVR only kept one reference of an external drive, and as soon as I would format the new one, it would lose references to the old one. So, sounds like everything is then saved on the external HD and you can switch drives, without issues. Would the 2TB drive I mentioned above work? Have people had any luck hooking up 2TB drives. I might wait a little longer till I can get a 2TB for the price of 1 ;) :D Thanks!

Last edited:
Assuming you installed a 2TB on your receiver, is there an easy way to transfer programs from your existing ext HD to the new one? I have a 750GB that is full, I would like to get a bigger drive only if there is an easy way to transfer all the files over :D

Nope, you have to restore all back to the receiver and then on to the 2TB drive.

Easiest solution, just start a new drive! :D

EDIT - I see I'm a day late....what they said! ;)

Multiple drives do work, I have 10.

Remember the cautions for Seagate, that they require disabling sleep unless you are ready to unplug and replug after a short rest.

I am seeing raw drives below $60/TB and USB encased ones for only $10 more. But watch for shipping costs.
-Ken

P.S. Yesterday saw a 1TB Fantom USB-SATA for $50--after $50 rebate--just not ready to do hang that much out.
-Ken

Last edited:
Remember the cautions for Seagate, that they require disabling sleep unless you are ready to unplug and replug after a short rest.

I am seeing raw drives below $60/TB and USB encased ones for only $10 more. But watch for shipping costs.
-Ken

P.S. Yesterday saw a 1TB Fantom USB-SATA for $50--after $50 rebate--just not ready to do hang that much out.
-Ken

Yeah, I play the unplug and replug games with my Seagates. I don't care--they're cheap.

Fry's has a 2TB external HD for a whopping $124.99 ($125!) this weekend.

Found a couple of EHD's on sale, which is better?

TOSHIBA 1TB USB 2.0 / eSATA Black External Hard Drive PH3100U-1EXB

Western Digital 1TB Elements USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive, WDBAAU0010HBK-NESN

I'm looking at EHD's for a 211 or 211k receiver. Are there any issues with either of the models listed?

The Toshiba is a little cheaper, but in my experience with computers the Western Digital would probably be more reliable.

I would think that converting the 211k to dvr will run the EHD basically all the time (at least while the 211k is on). Do the "guru's" who have more experience with EHD's have a preference?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Today and tomorrow 6/21-6/22 NewEgg has e-Blast for
HITACHI Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K (0S00163) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive, FREE Rosewill External Enclosure
$59.99 and free 3-day shipping. Best price seen on the stand I have seen is $20 and disk $50 or so.
Just a customer buying one,
-Ken

New to EHD - Question

Today and tomorrow 6/21-6/22 NewEgg has e-Blast for
HITACHI Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K (0S00163) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive, FREE Rosewill External Enclosure
$59.99 and free 3-day shipping. Best price seen on the stand I have seen is $20 and disk $50 or so.
Just a customer buying one,
-Ken

Ken,

First, I realize that this thread is about "bargain hard drives", which I am looking for, but also have a technical question:

I'm getting a 211k receiver installed Wednesday. I know that you cannot 'absolutely' guarantee this, but should this HD and external enclosure work with that receiver?

I've read conflicting reviews as to whether this type of setup will work with Dish equipment, and see that you have a lot of posts to this thread, so you're definitely more knowledgeable about it than I am.

Thanks!

Using a "stand" rather than an enclosure is appropriate if the disks that you buy are not hot running, they don't exceed 2TB, and you want to just buy raw drives, which are usually $10 or more cheaper, and if you are buying more than one. You avoid buying more boxes and just get minimal protection and size.

I call it a stand because the drive is upright in the base, connector down--2.5" and 3.5" SATA use the same connector. All drives, I know of, will run in any orientation but all do not like to be dropped or even shaken. When you get more than one be sure to label each one. You can shut off the power at the stand and should while changing them, perhaps. Just be sure the receiver has finished with it or if used on a computer that it has been ejected and any directories updated.

The good thing about the file system Dish uses is that it cares little about improper ejection but it is possible to mess up the internal references, if you try. The bad thing is that there are no common utilities for this FS, like for moving files or "garbage collecting."

As to use on a 211, I think this will do as well as any. An enclosure with fan might do better in a hot room or with neighboring electronics. I cannot tell you the best drive for heavy usage of delaying play and continual recording and playing. Hitachi makes good drives, there was a 2.5" in my MacBook as is the large replacement, but others make good ones also.

-Ken

Ken,

First, I realize that this thread is about "bargain hard drives", which I am looking for, but also have a technical question:

I'm getting a 211k receiver installed Wednesday. I know that you cannot 'absolutely' guarantee this, but should this HD and external enclosure work with that receiver?

I've read conflicting reviews as to whether this type of setup will work with Dish equipment, and see that you have a lot of posts to this thread, so you're definitely more knowledgeable about it than I am.

Thanks!

Ken likes to get very verbose (ridiculously way too many words and irrelevant info to get his point across to the point of confusing you)...YES it will work.

Last edited:
Having more drive increases the chance of a failure but decreases the chance of a catastrophic one.

KAB, if I were asking the question I would want more than a yes/no, so it's verbose and not meant for you.
KAB, thanks for the link.
-Ken

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)