Harmony 880 Remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
none
This is the best universal remote I have ever used. It is completely programable from the web using wizard like Q&A. It sets up macros and knows about thousands of devices (even some wierd ones, including my Viewsat FTA receiver). it can also learn should you really have something off the wall (like my Focus enhancements HD upconverter)! The database at the Logitech Harmony website even had the codes for my HP plasma HD tv...HP does not give out these codes!

It is also VERY comfortable in the hand and the 880 model lights up when you move it (nice backlight buttons and color screen). Customer support is also great! (had a defective charge cradle and they advanced replaced one EXPRESS Shipping!!!! free of course.

Normal programing is extremely easy...then you can go advanced and even adjust timing etc!

WINNER, if you have lots of components as I do! All the Harmony's are programmed the same way as well.

Regards
jeff

I just picked up one of these on Saturday, and have been very impressed with it myself so far. I've generally avoided universal remotes because they never pickup everything and you end up having to keep the other remotes handy anyways...not so with this one! The programming over the net is sweet...and it's nice to have my coffee table back, sans the dozen remotes usually line up across it! hehe

I was thinking of getting one myself, HiDefListyle has them for 175.00 with a coupon code and there's a 50.00 logitech rebate.
$125.00 isn't bad for this remote.

is this rebate for HiDefLifestyle only? where is it located at? I cant find it anywhere.

Nevermind, found it. Not sure I have my box anymore though :(

Last edited:
Great Deal!

John Corn said:
I was thinking of getting one myself, HiDefListyle has them for 175.00 with a coupon code and there's a 50.00 logitech rebate.
$125.00 isn't bad for this remote.

That is a great deal! I paid a bunch more but have no regrets...Love the thing!
jeff

I concur w/ the others here. I got the Harmony 880 during the recent holidays and have been consistently impressed w/ it. Its a weird thing to find yourself saying, "Wow, this really makes everything more fun to use." It's not perfect, but its great for the price and very flexible, sexy and easy to operate.

So - have any of you tried the 880 with a Dish 942?

I've been using a URC MX-500 with my 942. It's a great remote for my entire home theater system, but only ok with the 942. I haven't found the right setup for the pvr section of the 942.

I've been curious about how the 880 would handle this.

It is on the site

SouthRider said:

I've been using a URC MX-500 with my 942. It's a great remote for my entire home theater system, but only ok with the 942. I haven't found the right setup for the pvr section of the 942.

Hi there:

I just launched the harmony software and Dish 942 (DVR) showed up when I looked for it. Of course not having DN, I have no way to test it but, if you buy it, go to a place with decent return policies (maybe best buy)...

Besides, if it is an IR Remote, and not really there (which is doubtful) you can teach it from the orig remote!! I have not ever had the search show positive and then put in the wrong device (and some of mine are pretty strange ((ie: no focus Enhancements HD upconverter...so it learned the commands and then made the macros!
Jeff
Hope this helps
Jeff

Last edited:
SouthRider said:

Welp...I have mine working with my 942, and it seems fine on most stuff including the DVR functions, but I havent had a lot of time in front of the TV since I got it. Was there anything in particular you wanted to know if worked?

i tried google, so is there a way to find out what devices it will or wont support before you buy ?
i have a sony dav-fc8 home theater and i want to see if these harmonies can provide the same as the sony hometheatre remote, i.e dvd, and sound setup. As well as the 942 that i can see works.

gbjbany said:
i tried google, so is there a way to find out what devices it will or wont support before you buy ?
i have a sony dav-fc8 home theater and i want to see if these harmonies can provide the same as the sony hometheatre remote, i.e dvd, and sound setup. As well as the 942 that i can see works.

Hi:

The only way I know of is to run the harmony computer based software...an oximoron at the least.

I ran mine for you and it appears to be in the data base...remember even if not, that remote can learn almost anything..inc RAW commands! See the attached confirmation (screen capture of the confirmation):)

jeff

Attachments

• Sony.jpg
    Sony.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 137
DW -

I guess I'm spoiled in 2 different ways:

1) With my MX500 I have macros set up that make it real easy to go from any function TO any function with one button press. Ie: from watching satellite to watching a DVD & getting the right inputs, sound selection, etc.

2) The DISH remote does a great job by having the dedicated DVR button that instantly gets you to your list of recorded programs.

I haven't found a good setup for my MX500 that is as easy to use as the DISH DVR button (not enough hard buttons).

My wife hates a remote that isn't intuitive & easy to use. She was cool with our setup before we got the 942, but now we are using 2 remotes again.

I guess I am wondering if the 880 will give me the best of both worlds.

Thanx for your input.

well...I'm new to these programmable remotes, so I dont know much about the MX500. On the 880, using the software, I can actually program any known function of the 942 to any button on the remote I want.

gizzer777 said:
Hi:

The only way I know of is to run the harmony computer based software...an oximoron at the least.

I ran mine for you and it appears to be in the data base...remember even if not, that remote can learn almost anything..inc RAW commands! See the attached confirmation (screen capture of the confirmation):)

jeff

Jeff
Thanks for the extra effort there:up . Appreciate it.
I think i will get one

jeff B.

I have an 880 with the DVR 942 and it does control the 942 quite nicely. Before I bought the 880, I had:

1) DVR 942 TV1 Remote
2) Marantz MX2000 Mk II "Super Remote" (came with the Marantz SR780 AVR)
3) Mitsubishi Remote
4) Inday Digital Audio switch Remote
5) Pioneer DVD/Laserdisc Remote

The Harmony 880 was able to replace all of these remotes. It is organized around performing activities, like watching TV or listening to Satellite Radio. When you switch to an activity, you can select which device is controlled by the remote's buttons. So, when watching the 942, the 880 turns on the Mitsubishi, the Marantz, the 942, switches the Marantz's digital input to the Inday, switches the Inday to the 942, switches the Mitsubishi to the DVI input, and specifies "Pro-Logic" mode on the Marantz (in case the last thing I was watching was AC-3/DD5.1). That's one button, a heck of a lot easier than picking up two or three remotes and pressing the right combination of power and input buttons!

Another nice thing is the 880 has a "Device" button, which allows you to call up any device's functions. Since you program the 880 to tell it what buttons are assigned to your specific devices (volume & mute control your AVR, number pad, channel up/down, your satellite STB, etc.), having the "Device" button allows you to change all the buttons to control your device. Plus, the color LCD screen has eight "soft" buttons and two buttons that are used to cylce through the different screens.

It all sounds complicated, but for most day-to-day operations, it's press an activity button and enjoy!

gbjbany said:
Jeff
Thanks for the extra effort there:up . Appreciate it.
I think i will get one

jeff B.

It is my pleasure helping...everyone on these foruns is great!!!:)
regards
jeff

I wholeheartedly agree with all the positive comments on the 880. I bought one 6 months ago and it handles everything with ease. My wife uses it with 0 problems. The "Help" feature on it actually can help - sometimes when switching between activities, if the IR gets blocked (set it down behind something before it's done transmitting all the commands, etc.), something might get out of whack. I usually know exactly what to do, but she uses the help feature and almost always figures it out.

I just got a new Dish Network 622 HD-DVR and can't wait to see how well it works with that. It definitely does handle the basic functions I was able to test before getting the 622 activated.

So far the only issue I seem to have with the 880 regards my son and his "sticky fingers". Somehow, he manages to get something on the charging contacts of the remote so every two months or so I need to clean the contacts on both the remote and the recharging base.

It's easy to tell when to clean; the 880 normally "beeps" when you set it in its dock. No beep means it's time to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)