Harmony One and 620 Will Not Wake Dish Receivers

PundaSmith

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Cherry Hill, NJ
Hello,

I recently got two Harmony remotes - 620 and One to control AV set ups in by living room and bedroom. The set up works, but the problem I have is with the two Dish network receivers - Vip 722 and 211. They often go to a sort of a sleep mode (after they have been ON for a while). Once in that mode, I am unable to use the harmony remotes "Activity Buttons" to turn them ON/OFF. To watch TV, i have to do the following:

-- either use the original dish remote OR go into the Device settings on the harmony remote to turn of the dish receiver, then
-- press: Watch TV (activity button).

I have already set the Dish receiver to be ON always. So, this problem only happens when the Dish receiver is forced to go into sleep mode due to inactivity. I checked to see if it is possible to prevent this, but wasn't successful.

Would be very grateful for any assistance..

rgds, EmK

Maybe your menu is different than my 612, I don't have an "On always" In the menu, preferences, inactivity, disabled.

I don't use the harmony, but a friend does, his works with his receiver if it goes into the inactivity mode, but again it is a 612 as mine.

Actually, I don't have "On Always" -- but the "Inactivity" mode was enabled. So, I disabled that mode. I will update its effects, if any, later.

rgds, PS

Maybe your menu is different than my 612, I don't have an "On always" In the menu, preferences, inactivity, disabled.

I don't use the harmony, but a friend does, his works with his receiver if it goes into the inactivity mode, but again it is a 612 as mine.

On your 722 remote press Menu, 8, 8 and set Activity to Disable. On your 211 remote press Menu, 8, 7 and set Activity to Disable. That will disable the sleep modes on the receivers. I'm guessing that you have already done that based on your last post, but that should correct your issue.

Thanks Bobby...

The settings you suggested do indeed turn the receiver to sleep. But is there a setting to automatically turn off the receiver after sometime... instead of going to sleep. If not, then, there must be someway for the Harmony remote to Wake the DVR from sleep first before trying to turn it on .. I will look into that too.

cheers, Punda

====

On your 722 remote press Menu, 8, 8 and set Activity to Disable. On your 211 remote press Menu, 8, 7 and set Activity to Disable. That will disable the sleep modes on the receivers. I'm guessing that you have already done that based on your last post, but that should correct your issue.

PundaSmith said:
Thanks Bobby...

The settings you suggested do indeed turn the receiver to sleep. But is there a setting to automatically turn off the receiver after sometime... instead of going to sleep. If not, then, there must be someway for the Harmony remote to Wake the DVR from sleep first before trying to turn it on .. I will look into that too.

cheers, Punda

====

When you press the power button on the remote it turns off (puts to sleep) the rcvr. Problem is it is the same thing whether youmanually do it or if the rcvr foes it. Does the harmony remote put out two separate signals for off and on? If you make them the same, if you can, it should solve the problem

Unless you have manually changed the Harmony's default setting, all you have to do is press the center Select/OK button just as you would on the Dish remote.

Another solution is to set an auto-tune timer that will wake up your receiver on its own at a time after the nightly update.

Another solution is to set an auto-tune timer that will wake up your receiver on its own at a time after the nightly update.

Actually, I do just that to wake up the receiver after the early morning reboot. I simply setup an ABC episode that begins each morning at 5AM to auto-tune and I always turn on the initial day's TV watching on channel 7.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts