Harmony Remote Adaptor for PS3

hbk409

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 12, 2005
LI,NY
just got this in an email from amazon, it gives you full control of you ps3 using any logitech remote.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Adapter-Playstation-3/dp/B00267S7XW/ref=pe_33790_12097810_fe_exp_1/]Amazon.com: Logitech Harmony Adapter for Playstation 3: Electronics[/ame]

$60? What a rip-off! I have a Harmony remote but I think I can live with using 2 remotes instead of 1 with a greater cost.

Or get the Nyko Blu Wave remote for $20 (or less on sale) and use the USB attachment for that. You just have to take the extra step of teaching your Harmony the codes.

Or get the Nyko Blu Wave remote for $20 (or less on sale) and use the USB attachment for that. You just have to take the extra step of teaching your Harmony the codes.
Yup. $15 actually.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-Blu-Wave-Remote/dp/B000R5H7KE"]Amazon.com: PlayStation 3 Blu Wave Remote: Video Games[/ame]

PlayStation 3 Blu Wave Remote
41GNAmYnfsL._SS400_.jpg

I bought that within weeks of my PS3 purchase. Its small, you cant even see it really, cheap and it works with my harmony remote. Why would anyone spend 60 dollars of this thing?

Just one drawback to the Nyco way of doing things, it will not turn the PS3 on or off. This hasn't really been an issue for me as mine is always on for folding.

From that picture, it also looks like the Nyko is missing a few buttons. I use subtitle quite a bit to catch a line of dialog I missed.

I'm seriously considering getting a Harmony (probably the 670), but would like to confirm that I can teach it all the functions of the PS3 bluetooth remote I want using the Nyko, even the button/functions the Nyko (or other PS3 IR remotes) doesn't have. Anyone have experience with this?

It's hard to tell. Because Logitech has this adapter out now, perhaps you can update your remote on the Harmony site and enable all 51 commands, and use any IR receiver on the PS3? Would want someone with this stuff to confirm though before making a purchase based off of it.

I'm seriously considering getting a Harmony (probably the 670), but would like to confirm that I can teach it all the functions of the PS3 bluetooth remote I want using the Nyko, even the button/functions the Nyko (or other PS3 IR remotes) doesn't have. Anyone have experience with this?

RC PS3 Roundup: Logitech Harmony Adapter for PlayStation 3 Review (1)

The Harmony Adapter supports the full 51 functions from the original Sony Bluetooth remote control.
I just ordered one today.

Right, but the ultimate question is if they try and force you into an expensive $60 accessory purchase, instead of being able to use the Nyko to get the IR commands to the PS3 and the Logitech site to get the commands into the Harmony remote.

There are probably ways they can screw you and make it so that you have to have this adapter for it all to work properly.

Just one drawback to the Nyco way of doing things, it will not turn the PS3 on or off. This hasn't really been an issue for me as mine is always on for folding.
People are too lazy to get up and turn it off? yet not too lazy to get up and put a BD or game in it?:rolleyes: Its the Harmony remotes that need to learn the turn off code, not the USB adapter.

from my experience (I setup home theaters for people) and I had the Nyko setup from the customer and when told the Logitech software that it was a PS3 it automatically made all the commands for me and I didn't have to learn each one. It just had a warning saying that this remote will not be able to control the PS3 without a special adapter and it gave me weblinks to some of them. But after getting it all setup everything seemed to work fine.

Right, but the ultimate question is if they try and force you into an expensive $60 accessory purchase, instead of being able to use the Nyko to get the IR commands to the PS3 and the Logitech site to get the commands into the Harmony remote.

Its the Harmony remotes that need to learn the turn off code, not the USB adapter.

You can use the Nyko just fine, but there certainly are buttons on the PS3 BT remote that the Nyko doesn't do, nor can you teach the Harmony to do them, because the Nyko USB dongle doesn't have the brains to convert IR signals it doesn't recognize into something the PS3 does... also, the USB port is not on when the system is off (don't ask me why - I still haven't figured that one out), so you wouldn't be able to turn it on, no matter how smart your remote is...

from my experience (I setup home theaters for people) and I had the Nyko setup from the customer and when told the Logitech software that it was a PS3 it automatically made all the commands for me and I didn't have to learn each one. It just had a warning saying that this remote will not be able to control the PS3 without a special adapter and it gave me weblinks to some of them. But after getting it all setup everything seemed to work fine.

Are you saying the Logitech software automatically knew the codes for the Nyko accessory? That seems a little off...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts