Harmony Remote with DirecTV HR21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wish the RF feature worked on these; It would be fun creating macros that didn't require line of sight for your DVR. Until that gets worked out (if ever) will stick with my NFL remotes; The Bears & the Cards.

the RF does work, it just cannot DIRECTLY control the DTV RX. instead they give you an RF extender which has IR emitters. so you control the extender and it controls the device. i have not setup my extender yet, it is still in teh box. but from what i understand you dump the programming to it just like the remote.

another thing about the harmony series is they have dual IR emitters on the front, so they send a wider beam. this means that you can point the remote in almost any direction and it will work. this is a problem in my house, as i have a 15 month old who liek to bring Daadeeee his remote even when it is sitting next to him. never fails, she changes channels or turns everything off!

I have an 890. Have you guys that also have the 890 using the RF to the extender also noticed that sometimes when you TRY to change channels, it doesn't repsond, or it misses a button, and then you have to re-enter the channel. At times when it is really bad, it can take minutes to just enter in a channel number. ANyone else with this? I am using an HR21 DVR.

Harmony

I have the 250 dollar version got on sale at Best Buy for 200.00 so not sure what model that is...Called the Harmony One.

I can tell you this tho it was worh every cent as it was the 1st remote that literally replaced all of my other remotes..I have Bose 3-2-1 and 2 Direct Hr 21 and 2 different brands of HDTV and Xbox 360 and it controls them all.

I can tell you this the remote is purely software updated so out of the box it wont have all the menu on screen like the red and green and color buttons your refering to that D TV has but when you install software on your pc and then enter all the brands and models of devices you want to control using the software and then plug usb from remote to pc and update...All of the devices afore mentioned will now have all the reconizable functions your use to seeing on now just the one remote.

the RF does work, it just cannot DIRECTLY control the DTV RX. instead they give you an RF extender which has IR emitters. so you control the extender and it controls the device. i have not setup my extender yet, it is still in teh box. but from what i understand you dump the programming to it just like the remote.

I forgot about this, though I thought only the premium kits came with the extender but maybe that has changed now. I will look into it but don't mind all the remotes in my office & bedroom 'cause I keep them in the nightstand. The living room would be nice because the family has a hard time switching to DVD's & such for the kids; would be nice to setup macros for them.

I had the 880 for almost 3 years and the volume buttons started to not work unless i pressed really hard. i called support and it was out of warranty but Harmony/Logitech gave me 50% off the Harmony One, which i bought almost 6 months ago and love it.

The only bad things about the 880 for me were the buttons starting to go, as well as it not sitting in the charger perfectly so sometimes it would light up and beep in the middle of the night.

All that being said, it was still a great remote but the Harmony One is 100% better (and i also have the PS3 add-on now too which works great).

I had the 880 for almost 3 years and the volume buttons started to not work unless i pressed really hard. i called support and it was out of warranty but Harmony/Logitech gave me 50% off the Harmony One, which i bought almost 6 months ago and love it.

The only bad things about the 880 for me were the buttons starting to go, as well as it not sitting in the charger perfectly so sometimes it would light up and beep in the middle of the night.

All that being said, it was still a great remote but the Harmony One is 100% better (and i also have the PS3 add-on now too which works great).
pretty much spot on!:up that will be my next remote for sure

Can't wait to get my 880. Should be delivered tomorrow. When it comes time to get one for the Bedroom, I'll get the Harmony One and move the 880 to the bedroom I think and use the One in the living room.

Either way, anything has got to be better then what I got (4 remotes TV, HR21, PS3, Surround Sound)

Can't wait to get my 880. Should be delivered tomorrow. When it comes time to get one for the Bedroom, I'll get the Harmony One and move the 880 to the bedroom I think and use the One in the living room.

Either way, anything has got to be better then what I got (4 remotes TV, HR21, PS3, Surround Sound)
i promise you'll be pleased my friend.......

I sure hope so. Ya'll got me second guessing myself now thinking I should of paid $60 more for a Harmony One. :)

I'm sure the 880 though will suit me just fine though.
don't worry, I haven't had an issue yet with my 880. you will love it. any questions feel free to pm me.

but the 550 isn't rechargeable right? the 880 is rechargeable and the battery lasts about a week due to the color screen. my old 670 also lasted a few months but it was a simpler remote.

Correct 4 AAA batteries. i like that better because if i forgot to charge the remote you are out of luck.

I think all these remotes need a dedicated dvr button

Got my 880 all set up and I love everything about it. This thing is awesome.

One question though, can I change the title from "Watch TV" and "Watch DVD" to "Watch DirecTV" and "Watch Bluray"? Didn't see a setting for it and not a big deal if I can't.

I should have got one of these years ago.

Oh and for the wife factor... She loves how she doesn't have to press a button 3 times to make the HR21 respond like she did with the DirecTV remote. LOL She is happy too. :)

Got my 880 all set up and I love everything about it. This thing is awesome.

One question though, can I change the title from "Watch TV" and "Watch DVD" to "Watch DirecTV" and "Watch Bluray"? Didn't see a setting for it and not a big deal if I can't.

I should have got one of these years ago.
yes you can. just rename the activity or create a new activity and name it what you want. delete the previous activity afterward.

Oh and for the wife factor... She loves how she doesn't have to press a button 3 times to make the HR21 respond like she did with the DirecTV remote. LOL She is happy too. :)
these remotes can even control theater lighting. glad you like it buddy

Here's the deal. I have a total of 4 different remotes in my living room(TV, DirecTV, Surroundsound, and PS3). I go to my friends house and he pulls out this Harmony remote and says it can control everything including his fireplace. My wife is all about limiting the amount of remotes we have.

I have been racking my brain this morning looking at all the different ones they offer on Newegg. I don't want to spend a fortune (under $100). I don't need RF because I have a Slingbox using IR in my system and I know I need the adapter for the PS3 seperatly. Checking the Logitech website, all my devices are compatible.

What model do you all suggest? Most of the remotes I look at don't have the "List" button to access the playlist or the red/green/yellow/blue shortcut buttons, how do you get around this?

Thanks in advance for the help. Can't believe this is wife approved. :up

This is the one you want. Mine programs with the red/green/yellow in the LCD screen. Its also re-chargable (sp).

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Advanced-Universal-Control/dp/B00093IIRA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267281961&sr=8-4"]Amazon.com: Logitech Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote?@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DGYVDFE1L.@@AMEPARAM@@51DGYVDFE1L[/ame]

Edited... I see you have chosen wisely.... Wife will be very happy....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts