Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
went to see the 6th installment in the Harry Potter franchise this afternoon with my son. I would say it was enjoyable, but like most of these films, required that you have read the book to fully follow the story. That said, I thought they did a good job. It was long - 2h20min or so, but not overly-so. The sixth book in my mind really is a prelude to the final battle that the 7th represents, and thus, the story is not quite as compelling as the stand-alone ones. It makes it a bit less satisfying, but I'd still give it a 7 out of 10.

It was fun and made me want to go back to the book again.

See, I actually thought almost exactly the opposite. I thought this movie was made more for someone who only watches the movies, because I don't know how you could have read this book and really enjoyed the way the movie was put together.

To me, this book was a critical piece in the development of relationships between Harry, Dumbledore, and Snape - not to mention the huge pieces of information it laid out about Voldemort. I know you can't get all of that into a movie, but I really thought the movie makers missed the point of the book completely, putting all of the emotional impact of the movie (what little there was, that is) in the wrong places, and glossing over the places that should have had the most impact....

I wasn't crazy about Order of the Phoenix the first time I saw it, either, and have since come around some, so maybe I will this time, too, but I was really disappointed, because this was my favorite book of the series, and I just thought the movie missed the mark.

That being said, the movie as a movie was not bad - I just didn't think it was a good adaptation of the book. I think the director wanted the characters to have a last laugh at Hogwarts before going on the quest of the 7th movie...

Both of you guys are judging the movie from the perspective of already having read the book, therefor the comparison between the book and the movie cannot be avoid. This will only lead you to me more disappointed. I will be interested in reading the opinions of the movie from those whom have not read the book.

I will be interested in reading the opinions of the movie from those whom have not read the book.

Yeah, but can you pry that one guy out of his cave long enough to go see a movie? ;)

This series is one of the most universally read set of books ever written, so a comparison is inevitable.

Yeah, but can you pry that one guy out of his cave long enough to go see a movie? ;)

This series is one of the most universally read set of books ever written, so a comparison is inevitable.

And I don't think the film-makers intended to tell a story that someone who had not read the books would be able to fully follow. They know that they are trying to take an 800 page novel and turn it into a 2h20 minute film.

My wife has read every Potter book and I have yet to read a single one. I probably enjoy the movies more than my wife because she is always comparing the movie to the book and is thus disappointed. I, not knowing what happens in the book, am not as disappointed.

And I don't think the film-makers intended to tell a story that someone who had not read the books would be able to fully follow. They know that they are trying to take an 800 page novel and turn it into a 2h20 minute film.
Perhaps. I have seen the first 5 and am quite able to easily follow what is going on.

I will take my wife to see this movie and will report back on what we both thought of the movie (my wife already have read all 7 books and myself have yet to read any of them).

Let me know how it goes. I'm in the same boat, my wife has read all the books, and I haven't read any.

We both have typically liked the movies, although she does complain that they leave too much out.

She saw HBP yesterday and said it was good, but they left out some pretty important things. She wonders how they are going to follow through to the last movies with some key elements missing.

She wonders how they are going to follow through to the last movies with some key elements missing.

As do I...

You guys definitely have a point, though, and I will be the first to admit it. I started reading the books after the Goblet of Fire movie came out, and it's probably no coincidence that I like the first four movies better than the last two, since I had not read the books before watching the movies.

Just out of curiosity, am I the one in "the cave"...? :)

I saw the movie yesterday. I thought it was OK, it plodded a long a bit, it was working on setting up things for the next movie. I have never read the books. I have enjoyed the movies for the most part. I did not think it was a bad movie, but I liked the last one better.

I saw the movie yesterday. I thought it was OK, it plodded a long a bit, it was working on setting up things for the next movie. I have never read the books. I have enjoyed the movies for the most part. I did not think it was a bad movie, but I liked the last one better.

I think that is true (5 was better), primarily due to there being a better story. Not that the plot against Dumbledore is not important (it is critical), it is just that the story is almost more of a prelude to the Deadly Hallows.

Another thing - where the heck was Voldemort in this movie? Nothing more than the kid Tom Riddle in memories?

I suspect I'd be even more critical if I remembered half of went on in the book. :)

I think that is true (5 was better), primarily due to there being a better story. Not that the plot against Dumbledore is not important (it is critical), it is just that the story is almost more of a prelude to the Deadly Hallows.

Another thing - where the heck was Voldemort in this movie? Nothing more than the kid Tom Riddle in memories?

I suspect I'd be even more critical if I remembered half of went on in the book. :)

Voldemort's never seen in the book, either - at least not "current" Voldemort. There is a lot more to the memories of him, though....

And, really, in the books, 5 is the one that is the "transition piece" - and an overly long one at that - this one has a much better story. It just wasn't done that way in the movies. Maybe if they weren't making two more movies they would have felt compelled to do more of significance with this one, instead of just watching a bunch of kids screwing around and not really advancing the story.....

OK, I'm done ranting. ;)

One of my work buddies saw it and was really ticked off about how bad it was saying that very key parts of the book were not included in the movie that have a significant tie in to the 7th book which I've read that one but none of the others and cant say that I remember one of the things he mentioned. My thoughts on it getting negative reviews has to do with Radcliff's wanting to take some time off last year which may have lead to some changes and things being left out. Someone else yesterday mentioned the time constraints but what hardcore Potter fan wouldn't sit through a 3 hour or longer movie so that one I have to call bunk so I'm really thinking that it has to do with Radcliff wanting to spend time working in theater and other movie ventures.

One of my work buddies saw it and was really ticked off about how bad it was saying that very key parts of the book were not included in the movie that have a significant tie in to the 7th book which I've read that one but none of the others and cant say that I remember one of the things he mentioned. My thoughts on it getting negative reviews has to do with Radcliff's wanting to take some time off last year which may have lead to some changes and things being left out. Someone else yesterday mentioned the time constraints but what hardcore Potter fan wouldn't sit through a 3 hour or longer movie so that one I have to call bunk so I'm really thinking that it has to do with Radcliff wanting to spend time working in theater and other movie ventures.
This is why I believe it will be received better by those whom have yet to read the book.

This is why I believe it will be received better by those whom have yet to read the book.

Yeah, but the true test is if it can appeal to the HP fans (who of course, have read the book). And on that test for me anyways, movies 1, 2, 4, and 5 each passed that test. This one was nominal. But better than HP3.

I haven't seen the movie yet, probably next weekend cuz I can't get HiFi near a Harry Potter movie, but I am excited to see it. I always read the book right before the movie so I remember what is supposed to happen, but I like them no matter what they leave out.

I try to head in with an open mind. I've read the book, but not recently. I enjoyed the movie for what it was. Yeah, I saw the missing elements, and the plot holes, but let's see what they do with 7 (and 8) before jumping to big conclusions.

BTW Mike, I agree about 3. Also I liked 6 better than 5.

My son and I sat through this movie yesterday and it took over 3 hours to watch . It is nothing but a prelude to the final movie, yet to be made which is the ending to the series. I thought it was slow and a bit boring . The only time it picked up was towards the ending. I could of waited for this one on dvd.

Yeah, but the true test is if it can appeal to the HP fans (who of course, have read the book). And on that test for me anyways, movies 1, 2, 4, and 5 each passed that test. This one was nominal. But better than HP3.

Actually, pretty much every HP fan in the world is going to see the movie (most on release weekend) no matter how crappy a movie it is. For the movie makers, the test is to get other people to go...

Someone else yesterday mentioned the time constraints but what hardcore Potter fan wouldn't sit through a 3 hour or longer movie...

I don't buy the time constraints, since this was the longest of the 6 movies so far, I believe - or pretty close, anyway - Order of the Phoenix was a much longer book and a much shorter movie, and the more I think about, I actually think they did a better job keeping in the key elements of that one.

It's all about the choices they made for me - they had plenty of time in the movie to do it right, they just decided to fill it up with snogging and made up scenes
(show me where the Burrow gets blown up in the book)
instead of focusing on key plot points - not to mention some of the major changes they made to the scenes they did keep in
(does anyone who knows anything about HP really think that he would just sit there and watch while Dumbledore is cornered by Death Eaters?)

Sorry, did I say I was done? :)

Dumbledor put a silent spell on Harry in the book, and I haven't seen the movie yet, but that may be one of the things you have to know from the book, or maybe they should have implied it in the movie. Harry was also under his cloak so no one could see him. Dumbledor basically planned it all out with Snape because he knew what Voldemort had set Draco up to do.

I don't know how to do a spoiler so if someone could tell me, that would be great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)