Has anyone had a non-standard configuration install yet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Just ordered Joey #6 from SolidSignal. Hope it installs as easy as #5. That will give me a 2H/6J system. My monthly bill will still be $1 less than it was with 3x722, 1x612 and 1x510.

Yea ive installed 12 hopper systems and seems like software downloads take longer and longer everytime i wish they would give us more units per install due to how long it takes per install

For all you customers that plan to change your order when the tech gets there. PLEASE, for the love of whomever you worship, DON'T do this. PLEASE realize that we techs do NOT get paid to be on the phone and that we do NOT have any special people we can call that you can't.

I understand it's frustrating when you can't get the work order you want. Really. But we have to talk to the very same people you do. And it can waste an hour easily. And as a previous poster mentioned we're not getting paid much for these H/J install anyway. We'll be happy to install what is on the work order but you're costing us money and time with our families when you expect us to change the work order for you. Remember we're paid by the job, not by the hour.

Lastly, if there's one Hopper on a work order we're very unlikely to be carrying a duo node. Dish seems to be short on them. My office of 40~ tech has 20 duo nodes for this week. Now we have the phone delay PLUS finding a duo node, easily another hour or two. Calls to track it down. Time to go get it. The gas money it costs to drive. More time and money. And that's just me. Now that my install is taking 2 or 3+ hrs longer my other jobs must be picked up by other technicians, costing them their time.

Thanks for reading this rant/plea.

One other thing I'm curious about though is the 3 Hopper install. I can understand how to do it. It would take 2 44 switches, or 44 and 33 (which dish doesn't send us anymore). Then use 5 of those DPP ports to run a dou node and a single node. But I do not see how all 3 Hoppers could possibly communicate unless there's a magical triple node I haven't heard of. Your home would be basically be 2H/6J AND 1H/3J.

One other thing I'm curious about though is the 3 Hopper install. I can understand how to do it. It would take 2 44 switches, or 44 and 33 (which dish doesn't send us anymore). Then use 5 of those DPP ports to run a dou node and a single node. But I do not see how all 3 Hoppers could possibly communicate unless there's a magical triple node I haven't heard of. Your home would be basically be 2H/6J AND 1H/3J.
discussed here about 3 hoppers:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/280552-3-hoppers-9-joeys-new-maximum.html

I hear you on the work orders, Dish had mine all messed up. Had a Single and a Dual node down, three Joeys, two Hoppers, ect... the Installer showed me the work order, and I showed him the 5 emails I had received from
Dish all showing 2H/2J I do not know how Dish messes these things up so bad...

What is a good way to get 2h/1j then? I do not want to drop down from 4 tuners on 3 tvs to 3 tuners.

For all you customers that plan to change your order when the tech gets there. PLEASE, for the love of whomever you worship, DON'T do this. PLEASE realize that we techs do NOT get paid to be on the phone and that we do NOT have any special people we can call that you can't.

I understand it's frustrating when you can't get the work order you want. Really. But we have to talk to the very same people you do. And it can waste an hour easily. And as a previous poster mentioned we're not getting paid much for these H/J install anyway. We'll be happy to install what is on the work order but you're costing us money and time with our families when you expect us to change the work order for you. Remember we're paid by the job, not by the hour.

Lastly, if there's one Hopper on a work order we're very unlikely to be carrying a duo node. Dish seems to be short on them. My office of 40~ tech has 20 duo nodes for this week. Now we have the phone delay PLUS finding a duo node, easily another hour or two. Calls to track it down. Time to go get it. The gas money it costs to drive. More time and money. And that's just me. Now that my install is taking 2 or 3+ hrs longer my other jobs must be picked up by other technicians, costing them their time.

Thanks for reading this rant/plea.

If the first person you speak to on the phone can't help. Hang up and try again. That's one method I use. If that doesn't work a couple of times ask to speak to loyalty. The CSR will ask why? You say 'because I know what I need for my home and you are unable to help me'. As people in threads on this forum have said, sometimes it takes a while, especially for non standard configs. I also saw one poster say he had 2H/2J installed then just deactivated and sent back one joey. That there is a nice solution. The main point it, the aforementioned people are the same people I would speak to at your home. So instead of wasting your time on your own (which sucks, we all hate it) you're now wasting your time at home with some guy standing in your kitchen.

What is a good way to get 2h/1j then? I do not want to drop down from 4 tuners on 3 tvs to 3 tuners.

If you have a local Authorized Retailer in your area, they can configure a "non-standard" set-up like the 2 Hopper/1 Joey that you want. When I input the customers needs, say 3 HD tvs, the system suggests a 1 Hopper/2 Joey set-up. I simply customize the suggested set-up changing it to a 2 Hopper/1 Joey set-up. Just for grins, this morning, while at the "Equipment configuration" stage of a new customer creation, I was able to cofigure "non-standard" set-ups (1H/0J, 2H/0J, 2H/1J) with no problems.

If you have a local Authorized Retailer in your area, they can configure a "non-standard" set-up like the 2 Hopper/1 Joey that you want. When I input the customers needs, say 3 HD tvs, the system suggests a 1 Hopper/2 Joey set-up. I simply customize the suggested set-up changing it to a 2 Hopper/1 Joey set-up. Just for grins, this morning, while at the "Equipment configuration" stage of a new customer creation, I was able to cofigure "non-standard" set-ups (1H/0J, 2H/0J, 2H/1J) with no problems.
very cool, schermann indicated something like that a while back.

Had 1H + 0J installed today. Arranged through the Dish exec team. Work order called for 1H + 1J but tech had no trouble changing the work order.

We experienced the same setup slowness as many. I think we went through 3 software download sequences, but no real problems. 2 hours with all but 25 minutes of that waiting for the Hopper to do its thing.

I was able to link my 32.0 remote from my 922 and it controlled the Hopper fine but I could not restore Hopper from it's contents. Had to reset favorite channels and timers.

If the Hoppers could have their software downloaded before the tech made the call, that would speed up installs. Any reason they couldn't do that?

I can't remember which thread I saw it in, but in the past few days I read a post on this site from an installer who said that his group downloads the firmware before they put the receivers on the truck. They do this to save time, just like you posted.

I can't remember which thread I saw it in, but in the past few days I read a post on this site from an installer who said that his group downloads the firmware before they put the receivers on the truck. They do this to save time, just like you posted.

I wouldn't want to get a Hopper or Joey from an open box.

Funny you mention that. I have a Hopper install scheduled for late this afternoon. I am doing the initial download on it as I type. I don't allways do it, but if I have the opportunity to, I do. It definatly saves time at the jobsite, especially on H/J installs.

Self-installed 6th Joey last night; no problems. Again, the new Joey self-authenticated through one of the Hoppers, so I didn't even have to call Dish to get it running. My final configuration is 2H/4J (Leased) + 2J (purchased for $120 each @ SolidSignal.com) = 2H/6J. No issues at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts