Has anyone here ever “moved” to a smaller market and not a larger one? Would you?

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Same goes for DirecTV subscribers if they are reading this. Anyways, I’m wondering if anyone here ever “moved” to a smaller market instead of how most people usually “move” to a bigger market. I’m not talking about “moving” if there’s a dispute going on with your provider and a local channel, but rather that you “moved” for simply wanting that smaller market. Or if you haven’t, would you?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Same goes for DirecTV subscribers if they are reading this. Anyways, I’m wondering if anyone here ever “moved” to a smaller market instead of how most people usually “move” to a bigger market. I’m not talking about “moving” if there’s a dispute going on with your provider and a local channel, but rather that you “moved” for simply wanting that smaller market. Or if you haven’t, would you?

I have. I "lived" in the Joplin DMA for quite awhile before the FOX dispute happened. Now I happily "reside" in Omaha.

Yes.

I live in Buffalo DMA and 'moved' next door to Rochester. I haven't looked it up in years and am too lazy to do it now, but Buffalo used to be in the high 40s, close to 50. Rochester was in the mid to high 70s.

Reason being at the time, around 2010, my job had me in the Rochester area 3-4 days a week. I felt like I knew that area better then my own, and for three years it became my second home. I posted this before, so if it sounds familiar you probably read me say this already. In 2014, following our huge 'Snovember' snowstorm that collapsed my satellite dishes, I had to call DirecTV to come out and realign them once the driving bans were lifted. So I had to 'move' back to home real address since a tech would be dispatched. I still continued to receive Rochester locals. I wasn't until two years ago when i swapped my HR34 for the HR44 that I got Buffalo locals back. And my HR24 still to this day gets Rochester locals. So I get one set of locals in the bedroom and another set in the Living Room.

What was nice, when I used to watch more network TV, when the local chicken little media would interrupt primetime programming for weather released nonsense, I could just switch over to the Rochester locals. Also after I stopped subscribing to NFL ST, but before I started boycotting those SOBs, I could catch an extra extra game or two a week. Typically Jets and Giants games.

If I lived a couple hundred feet from where I do, I could get both sets of locals on cable. I live near the county line and Rochester claims SV status in the county next door. Not sure if I still can, but I used to be able to Roch locals via unencrypted QAM.

Now they give you Traverse City Same thing in Luzerne I use to have Distance Networks as well

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Same goes for DirecTV subscribers if they are reading this.
Yes to both. (since I also used to do the same thing with Directv when I still had them)
Anyways, I’m wondering if anyone here ever “moved” to a smaller market instead of how most people usually “move” to a bigger market. I’m not talking about “moving” if there’s a dispute going on with your provider and a local channel, but rather that you “moved” for simply wanting that smaller market. Or if you haven’t, would you?
I am in the Cleveland, Ohio market. I have "moved" to several smaller markets at one point or another, usually Columbus, for all of the reasons stated by others above. (More relevant weather / traffic coverage, additional NFL games, avoiding prime-time pre-emptions, and simply on principle because the cable company offers channels from both markets here.) One trick I used to do during local channel disputes is the exact opposite of what most people would do. I would "move" to a market with a dispute, and then call to complain that some of the channels were missing, so I could qualify for discounts on my bill. I would stay in the "moved" market as long as the dispute lasted (so I was actually "earning" the bill credit by doing without that network) and then when the dispute was over, I would "move" back. I stopped doing that when Dish finally gave us the option to drop the locals, and save the entire cost of that package.

Reactions: edisonprime
Yes.

I live in Buffalo DMA and 'moved' next door to Rochester. I haven't looked it up in years and am too lazy to do it now, but Buffalo used to be in the high 40s, close to 50. Rochester was in the mid to high 70s.

Reason being at the time, around 2010, my job had me in the Rochester area 3-4 days a week. I felt like I knew that area better then my own, and for three years it became my second home. I posted this before, so if it sounds familiar you probably read me say this already. In 2014, following our huge 'Snovember' snowstorm that collapsed my satellite dishes, I had to call DirecTV to come out and realign them once the driving bans were lifted. So I had to 'move' back to home real address since a tech would be dispatched. I still continued to receive Rochester locals. I wasn't until two years ago when i swapped my HR34 for the HR44 that I got Buffalo locals back. And my HR24 still to this day gets Rochester locals. So I get one set of locals in the bedroom and another set in the Living Room.

What was nice, when I used to watch more network TV, when the local chicken little media would interrupt primetime programming for weather released nonsense, I could just switch over to the Rochester locals. Also after I stopped subscribing to NFL ST, but before I started boycotting those SOBs, I could catch an extra extra game or two a week. Typically Jets and Giants games.

If I lived a couple hundred feet from where I do, I could get both sets of locals on cable. I live near the county line and Rochester claims SV status in the county next door. Not sure if I still can, but I used to be able to Roch locals via unencrypted QAM.

I think Buffalo is 52 this year, Rochester is 80.

I am in the Birmingham DMA 43, I have ‘moved’ to Huntsville (79), Memphis (53), Montgomery (116), Chattanooga (83), and Tupelo/Columbus, Miss (133) at various times in the past that are smaller than my home market.

I "moved" to the Grand Rapids market from Detroit several years ago, after a switch to Eastern Arc. About a year and a half ago, I "moved" to the Cleveland area, but only stayed one month due to the exorbitant "sales" taxes applied to my bill. I "moved" back to Grand Rapids, but the Cleveland stations stayed active in the 5200-channel range, so I guess I got a bonus there.

I "moved" to the Grand Rapids market from Detroit several years ago, after a switch to Eastern Arc. About a year and a half ago, I "moved" to the Cleveland area, but only stayed one month due to the exorbitant "sales" taxes applied to my bill. I "moved" back to Grand Rapids, but the Cleveland stations stayed active in the 5200-channel range, so I guess I got a bonus there.
I had the same thing happen to the Toledo stations on one receiver one time, after "moving" it back to the Cleveland market. I perfectly understand about the taxes. I "moved" to Detroit for awhile to avoid those. :)

Reactions: edisonprime

Yes. I “live” in the Memphis, TN area, but “moved” to the Jackson TN area because I hate looking at Memphis crime,.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

When we're in the upstate NY/VT area, we use a Bennington county VT service address that gets both the Albany, NY DMA (#59) and the smaller Burlington, VT DMA (#97). Since we move and change locals so often though, we really don't pay a lot of attention to the market rankings.

Reactions: TheKrell
I "live" in Omaha, but also incorporate Kansas City into my guide via OTA antenna and AirTV dongle.

Omaha is a smaller market than Kansas City, but it comes with the benefit of RSN's for 6 MLB teams, if I list my service address on the Iowa side. Also get Nebraska and Iowa PBS

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)