Has anyone seen a problem like this on their TV's before?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Almighty1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
San Francisco, California USA
I have a LG 65EF9500 4K/UltraHD OLED TV with a Hopper 3 and it seems like regardless if the source of the content is the built-in YouTube or the Google ChromeCast, Google ChromeCast Ultra or even the DISH Hopper 3 which are HDMI connected, there are horizontal bars on the top and bottom of the content itself even in PIP (Picture-In-Picture) windows which is not related to the physical screen as the bars will always be at the edge of the content whether the screen is the full height of the display or if it is less than the full height of the display. Taking photos doesn't work as the bars are about 11% brighter so the photos will show the same color as the rest of the picture so these are simulated pictures from DISHAnywhere.com and then I added in the problem myself with photo editor.

This is what it's supposed to look like:
Original.jpg

This is what it looks like, notice the top and bottom of the picture has a bar that makes the content brighter:
Problem.jpg

This is what PIP (Picture In Picture) is supposed to look like:
OriginalPIP.jpg

This is what it looks like now, notice the top/bottom bars in the Main screen and also in the PIP (Picture in Picture) Window:
ProblemPIP.jpg

I have seen the same problem on someone's Sony 55" LED before but I don't know what this problem is called as it seems to be the electronics doing the processing that is causing it and not the display itself from what I can tell. Otherwise, it will be at the same physical spot on the physical OLED but it seems to be at the edge of content that is based on the physical size of the content itself. LG would still provide warranty repair but they need me to describe the problem first so they know what parts to ship before the technician arrives. Thanks for any insights!

I don't remember anyone having that problem with the Hopper 3. For test purposes, try changing the Dish receiver's output resolution to 720p, 480p, then back to 1080 to see if that has any affect on your problem. Might be the upscaling to 4K causing the problem, or some other problem with the TV?

It's not the sources since even the built-in Youtube player on the TV has the same problem and I already tried 720p and 480p on the Hopper 3, same issue exists so it's not the sources but rather the TV itself.

GPM, already posted there earlier today with the same pics and mentioned the problem earlier there in 2017, someone said it might be the 3 circuit boards.

Could it be a overscan issue as I remember CRT's either display more or less of the picture depending on the brand.

Did you go into the menu's and turn off Torch mode? (Store mode)

It should be set to HOME mode. On my LG (older model) it's under SETTINGS, then the Briefcase symbol, then "Mode Setting".

Maybe that'll fix you up.

It's not the sources since even the built-in Youtube player on the TV has the same problem and I already tried 720p and 480p on the Hopper 3, same issue exists so it's not the sources but rather the TV itself.

GPM, already posted there earlier today with the same pics and mentioned the problem earlier there in 2017, someone said it might be the 3 circuit boards.

Could it be a overscan issue as I remember CRT's either display more or less of the picture depending on the brand.
Time to jump to the your TV's AVS forum.

Yes, it is not in store mode. I wished there was a way for it to force a reset of the screen or basically exercise the pixels on the tv...

Is it brand new, or have you owned it for some time and this problem just recently happened? If warranty, get it called in to LG quick, or they won't cover it.

In Settings, if you have an "Energy Saving" mode under "PICTURE" set that to OFF and see what happens.

I can't say that I've ever seen that problem before but I do find it ironic that we were both watching MSNBC at the exact same time

Reactions: Almighty1

I'd bet those guys at AV will have an answer. I doubt OLEDs have the same overscan issue as CRTs, a very different technology. I was strongly considering a new OLED but the burn-in issues scared me off. I'm going to get a new 75" Sony 940E tomorrow. Price just dropped. Not quite up to OLED standards, but neither are my old eyes.

I have the 55EF9500. My guess is someone got into the menu and (accidently) changed the aspect ratio in the TV's menu. Go into the Picture menu and make sure you have it set to "Just Scan".

On edit: I found an AVS picture setting video on youtube. The selection about 'Just Scan' can be found at the 4:15 mark.

Is it brand new, or have you owned it for some time and this problem just recently happened? If warranty, get it called in to LG quick, or they won't cover it.

In Settings, if you have an "Energy Saving" mode under "PICTURE" set that to OFF and see what happens.

Had the set since January 5, 2016 and it seems like the problem was not there at the beginning and then I went on vacation in May 2016 and then I guess when I came back in June 2016, I noticed the problem except didn't know how to describe it. It seems like the problem is only visible if you are standing or sitting at certain angles. I didn't even notice the top part until I was looking at the tv while standing up recently since I usually sit on the floor below the tv which is on a table that is 2 feet in height. The TV has a serial number starting with 512 which should be a December 2015 build. I already called LG Service and the VIP line seems to answer with a recording saying to hold on for a VIP Customer Service Representative except it always goes to the regular support as they claim the model is no longer a VIP supported product when I called a few months in early 2017 and said that they wanted pictures and if the picture test passes, then there is no problem except the bottom of picture test is solid colors since it seems to happen more with light colors as I don't see the problem when I am in my Hopper 3 Home screen either. I emailed Robert McIntyre in late May who is no longer in the VIP department who said I can setup a service call anytime I want but he wanted pictures of the problem so he knows what parts are needed for the repair and I can get appointments 7 days a week and it only takes one day notice. Energy Saving mode is set to off already.

I'd bet those guys at AV will have an answer. I doubt OLEDs have the same overscan issue as CRTs, a very different technology. I was strongly considering a new OLED but the burn-in issues scared me off. I'm going to get a new 75" Sony 940E tomorrow. Price just dropped. Not quite up to OLED standards, but neither are my old eyes.

The answer is it's a formatting issue and probably a circuit board problem. The thing with this OLED is while I have HDR, I don't have Dolby Vision but I do have 3D which the newer sets lag or the new Sony OLED would have been my next target.

I have the 55EF9500. My guess is someone got into the menu and (accidently) changed the aspect ratio in the TV's menu. Go into the Picture menu and make sure you have it set to "Just Scan".

On edit: I found an AVS picture setting video on youtube. The selection about 'Just Scan' can be found at the 4:15 mark.

It is on Just Scan already as I tried changing that setting and the other picture settings to see if it made a difference and it didn't.

It is on Just Scan already as I tried changing that setting and the other picture settings to see if it made a difference and it didn't.
A shot in the dark to try. Some Sharp and other TVs I used to sell would sometimes get wonky. An unplug/replug would reboot and often fix the TV. I don't hold much hope, but it's worth a shot. Keep it unplugged for a few minutes.

Reactions: Almighty1
A shot in the dark to try. Some Sharp and other TVs I used to sell would sometimes get wonky. An unplug/replug would reboot and often fix the TV. I don't hold much hope, but it's worth a shot. Keep it unplugged for a few minutes.

Already tried that one. In fact, when I went on vacation for a month in late April 2017 to the end of May 2017, I unplugged it the entire time so that the set won't come on after a power outage.

And after it is unplugged, push the power button on the TV in for about 15 seconds. That will drain residuals from capacitors.

Tried that earlier today after you posted and it didn't seem to be any different. I wonder if the power outages actually caused the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)