Has anyone try tuning in BAS low 2 GHz band?

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Just curious I noted my FTA sat receiver input cover that part of the BAS band 2.000 GHz to 2.150 GHz ranges. BAS stands for Broadcast Auxiliary Services.:)

May have to put a DC blocker 75 ohms rf cable in.

Looking for right kind of 2 GHz antenna small directal to aim at. We have a big mountain where's all the antenna farm is just little over 6 miles from here.:biggrin

Anyone's has any experience on this?:hungry

Reactions: k.r. and spongella
Using my 2nd GeoSat Pro HD receiver.:)

Might have get a better antenna for low 2 GHz band with the DC 75 Ohms blocker so my receiver do not get hurt.:rolleyes:

Will find out later in the week to see anykind of local microwave signals here.:hungry

Reactions: k.r. and spongella
A long shot but I will check that frequency range with spectrum analyzer and discone. They do make 2.5 gig antennas commercially but may not be suitable for that lower 2 - 2.15 range.

And anyone with a dongle having the E4000 chip in it might be able to "see" what's happening in the BAS band. Those dongles cover up to 2.3 gigs.

According to Wikipedia each channel on BAS is 12 MHz wide, about twice the width of an OTA TV signal.

Thanks N5XZS for the heads up on BAS, always something new to learn on this website.

Reactions: N5XZS and k.r.
I haven't started yet though.

Found out could not shut off DC out put.

May have go to electronic part store get the small parts.:)

Don't have the real ham radio store here in metro Albuquerque:(.

Just the commercial radio shops around here. They might not be any cheap 2 GHz antenna around here.:hungry

Just have to be patient when looking around.:rolleyes:

Did a spectral scan of the BAS 2 gig band using a GWInstek GSP-730 and a discone on the roof, nothing seen. Ran the scan for about an hour. Possibly no activity here, discone's not the best (but does cover up to 3 Gigs), no preamplifier, yada yada yada. Not the best setup but that's what I found.

There is IFB activity in the UHF (454 - 457 MHz) here though, audio from stations in Philly, NYC, and Allentown, PA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts