Has dish removed AutoHop feature.

Suppafreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Hello,

I have Hopper 3 and just notice that when I record PT shows and the view them later, sometimes several days later, I no longer see an option to "autohop" the commercials (Message 410). I know that CBS has some rules (7 days) for autohop, but for other PT channels autohop was available next day.

Has "AutoHop" been removed?

NBC O&O is 7, CBS is 8 days, Fox is 7 days and ABC O&O is 3 days. All others(NBC affiliates and ABC affiliates) are next day.

It is effectively dead for most customers ,because they won't wait the 3 - 7 days to get auto hop. I know I never wait more than a day to watch anything recorded ,because I transfer them to my I pad and take it to work to watch when I'm not busy. That and it was always intended to be a bargaining tool for DISH in contracts with Local networks and national versions. It got better rates for their carriage and they can and will be used again in future contracts, to insure that they stay reasonable in their renewals.

Some time ago, there was talk by media companies trying to to adopt and include the option of a C30--yes, 30 days for which the channel could get credit for the view of the ad. But don't worry too much about that because the advertisers are far from keen on a C30 option. Too many ads that promote sales for limited time, say a week or so, and advertisers want their ads to be seen NOW, not a month later when its impact is greatly diminished or too long past. "Yeah, I just saw a commercial for Holiday/Christmas time/sales on the 2nd week of January. How useful." Besides, we just press skip forward to pass the ads in any DVR situation, commercial skip feature or not.

The big question is whether or not you don't keep up with shows, and save them for long periods of time. If so, by a week to 8 days after their air, you will get Autohop. For those of us, who delete shows by 8 days, it was fun while it lasted.

I rarely watch shows less than a week old so it's not really a problem for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)