Has Sports Coverage and the Sports themselves jumped the shark?

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
While reading the "Worst Sports Leagues" thread, it got me to thinking. Do you think sports and the sports coverage has jumped the shark? Reading the Worst Sports Leagues thread showed a difference of opinions on what was the worst sports. Do you think they've jumped the shark?

Also, what about how each sport is presented? I know that a lot of people loved the NBA on NBC but now its on ESPN/ABC. Has it jumped the shark. Do you like the way the NBA as well as all sports are presented or do you like the old days?

Also, what improvements would you make? What would you do if you ran the networks? If you worked for ESPN would you get the NHL back? Would you increase your baseball coverage? These are obviously examples.

I miss the NBA on NBC. I wish it was NBA on NBC and NBA on TNT only. Didn't ESPN used to have baseball on basically every night of the week? I'm glad that is gone tbh

I think the phrase "jumped the shark" isa bit overused. It originally referred to a show that abandoned its core premise and descended into absurdity. Can we really say that in this context?

Geronimo, thats fine. If you dont "jumping the shark", what about when sports coverage has gone down hill as opposed to years ago.

Geronimo, thats fine. If you dont "jumping the shark", what about when sports coverage has gone down hill as opposed to years ago.

You say Sports coverage has gone downhill, I think it has just Shifted, ESPN isn't as good as it use to be, but the MLB Network has been excellent most of the time.

Take all the junk off the screen, especially ESPN! in this day and age people can find out scores & results...

How people watch Sportscenter in the morning is beyond me....Take a 42" screen and by the time the crap is on there (scrolling screen and the one down the side) ya got a 20" TV screen

How people watch Sportscenter in the morning is beyond me....Take a 42" screen and by the time the crap is on there (scrolling screen and the one down the side) ya got a 20" TV screen

I agree, I don't watch SportsCenter very often, I watch Mike and Mike in the morning till I go to work, however when they got thier nice new HD studio, it's really nice and what do they do, they have garbage on the right side taking up 1/5th of the screen.

Jimbo, you make a good point about ESPN. I dont get MLB Network, which really bothers me, but I'll take your word for it. I dont watch Sportscenter as much anymore. I dont think a show like that is really relevent anymore because of all the technology (internet, I-Phone Blackberry, App, etc.) you can get scores any time any where.

I agree, I don't watch SportsCenter very often, I watch Mike and Mike in the morning till I go to work, however when they got thier nice new HD studio, it's really nice and what do they do, they have garbage on the right side taking up 1/5th of the screen.

to be honest, from what I get to see of Mike and Mike on TV(not much), there really isn't much to actually watch. they loop the same 2 or 3 plays over and over again when talking about a game. but on sportscenter, it is so annoying. even worse is the stupid program alert during a game saying sportscenter is coming up next. no really?! I think everyone has the guide function these days, considering that a lot of cable companies are forcing you to get a box even if you just have basic cable. I used to love watching Sunday morning Sportscenter, but now they don't even show highlights for most of the show.

to be honest, from what I get to see of Mike and Mike on TV(not much), there really isn't much to actually watch. they loop the same 2 or 3 plays over and over again when talking about a game. but on sportscenter, it is so annoying. even worse is the stupid program alert during a game saying sportscenter is coming up next. no really?! I think everyone has the guide function these days, considering that a lot of cable companies are forcing you to get a box even if you just have basic cable. I used to love watching Sunday morning Sportscenter, but now they don't even show highlights for most of the show.

I mostly "Listen" to M&M while getting ready for work. I see a little of it.

They do loop some stuff, but thats so the people that are not up at 6am can also get the info of what is going on.
The majority of the show is NOT on a loop thou.

I quit M&M when Golf Ch. launched its Morning Drive channel. The easiest sport in the world to do talk about is the NBA, which is why lazy talkers will default to it. M&M are at their best when they cover other sports. Their act is growing old.

As to sports generally, the beauty of sports is that they never go "stale" like a TV show concept. I think, with what NBC is starting to do and such, we are looking at a future where ESPN and its style are less important.

Take all the junk off the screen, especially ESPN! in this day and age people can find out scores & results...

I powerwatch a lot of shows and sports on the DVR and I absolutely hate having to focus my attention away from the bottom of the screen for fear of finding out the results of something I've yet to watch. The programmers should allow the score bug to be disabled by the viewer. ;)

I quit M&M when Golf Ch. launched its Morning Drive channel. The easiest sport in the world to do talk about is the NBA, which is why lazy talkers will default to it. M&M are at their best when they cover other sports. Their act is growing old.

As to sports generally, the beauty of sports is that they never go "stale" like a TV show concept. I think, with what NBC is starting to do and such, we are looking at a future where ESPN and its style are less important.

At the same time, NBC will start thier own Sports network and more than likely have thier OWN SC show, doing the exact same thing ?

Why would they do this ?
Because it has WORKED for ages.

I powerwatch a lot of shows and sports on the DVR and I absolutely hate having to focus my attention away from the bottom of the screen for fear of finding out the results of something I've yet to watch. The programmers should allow the score bug to be disabled by the viewer. ;)
I would pay extra to have a no pop up / screen crawl / bug utility enabled for All programs I watch :D

tape a piece of cardboard across it. Or do like Red Green did once and attached cardboard on the top of a top loading VCR. Press "eject" and the cardboard covers the bottom line ;)

Im surprised ESPN does that. I mean its distracting and they should worry about showing more highlights than anything else.

most of the good daytime programming is on the deuce now. i don't know why espn insists on showing the same sportscenter all morning(oh, its live, forgot that there are new highlights to add at 10am!). mike and mike, first take, etc are all on espn2. the only things I watch on ESPN are OTL and ATH/PTI

While ESPN is not totally responsible, I do hold them largely responsible for the decline of the NBA. Every morning you wake up to the dunk highlights, or the 3 point shooters. You don't get on the highlight reel shooting mid range jumpers; so the decline of that element of everybody's game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)