Has the world gone crazy!!?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
After 40 years the company that created the Phillie Phanatic has decided to renege on it's agreement and wants the Phanatic to become a "free agent" so they can cash in on more money. 40 years!! :coco

Philadelpha Phillies Sue To Keep Beloved 'Phanatic' Mascot From Free Agency

USATSI_8754986.2e16d0ba.fill-735x490.jpg

The guy is shooting himself in the foot. The Phanatic has no major value outside of the Phillies, and the Phillies can prevent him from having any Philly paraphernalia on it. Plus Philadelphia can just create another mascot if they want to, something several other teams have done successfully before. And no other team would seriously consider using the Phanatic as it's associated with another team.

As mentioned in the article, the Phillies have the rights in perpetuity based on the 1984 contract. So unless the Phillies have themselves violated the contract, the creator has no standing to have the court void the contract.

Anyone remember the San Diego Chicken? He used to be the biggest mascot around and now where is he?

Reactions: Derwin0
Anyone remember the San Diego Chicken? He used to be the biggest mascot around and now where is he?
Actually, he's still around and still performing, although he's cut way back on appearances. After all, he's been doing it for 40 years. The big difference being, he personally owns the chicken while the Phillies organization owns the Phanatic. The Phanatic has lived on thru 2 actors but once Giannoulas retires the chicken likely retires too.

San Diego Chicken - Wikipedia

Actually, he's still around and still performing, although he's cut way back on appearances. After all, he's been doing it for 40 years. The big difference being, he personally owns the chicken while the Phillies organization owns the Phanatic. The Phanatic has lived on thru 2 actors but once Giannoulas retires the chicken likely retires too.
Phillies don't own the Phanatic, they only own the rights to exclusive use of it. The creator/owner is trying to get the contract thrown (he sold the rights to use it to them for $215k back in 1984) out so that she can charge them more money.

Everything to know about the Phillie Phanatic lawsuit

In 1984, Harrison/Erickson assigned all of the company’s rights in the Phanatic to the Phillies for $215,000. Such an assignment was “forever.” Sports Illustrated has obtained a copy of the contract, which is dated Oct. 31, 1984. In it, Harrison/Erickson “sells, transfers and assigns to the Phillies all of its rights, title and interest in and to the mascot and in and to all reproductions and portrayals of all or part of the mascot in any medium whatsoever, everywhere and forever.”

Owning exclusive rights is essentially equivalent to owning it. The point I was making is that the team owns (exclusive rights to) the Phanatic while Giannoulas personally owns the Chicken. I also think you made my point that this is all about greed. They entered into an agreement (and received payment) for rights to the Phanatic and now, after all these years, they don't like the deal they agreed to. Tough. :thumbdown

Reactions: Derwin0 and Jimbo
I bet they settle...this agreement was long before email so no real paper trail exists
Owning exclusive rights is essentially equivalent to owning it. The point I was making is that the team owns (exclusive rights to) the Phanatic while Giannoulas personally owns the Chicken. I also think you made my point that this is all about greed. They entered into an agreement (and received payment) for rights to the Phanatic and now, after all these years, they don't like the deal they agreed to. Tough. :thumbdown

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I bet they settle...this agreement was long before email so no real paper trail exists

Have you ever heard of REAL PAPER and document usually used for Legal things ...
They still do that in Real life today for important things ...

When you bought your home, did you not have to sign all the documents involved BY HAND with Real ink on real paper ?

Reactions: FTA4PA and navychop
That doesn't exist...hence the argument
Have you ever heard of REAL PAPER and document usually used for Legal things ...
They still do that in Real life today for important things ...

When you bought your home, did you not have to sign all the documents involved BY HAND with Real ink on real paper ?

This was a licensing agreement between two groups. You can bet there were lawyers involved and with lawyers it's a guarantee there was paperwork and signatures involved. ;)

Reactions: Jimbo
That doesn't exist...hence the argument
Who said it doesn't exist? Both sides have said there was an existing contract, and the one article says they've seen it, and quoted directly from it.

Everything to know about the Phillie Phanatic lawsuit
In 1984, Harrison/Erickson assigned all of the company’s rights in the Phanatic to the Phillies for $215,000. Such an assignment was “forever.” Sports Illustrated has obtained a copy of the contract, which is dated Oct. 31, 1984. In it, Harrison/Erickson “sells, transfers and assigns to the Phillies all of its rights, title and interest in and to the mascot and in and to all reproductions and portrayals of all or part of the mascot in any medium whatsoever, everywhere and forever.”

There isn't a team who wants a symbol connected for 40 years to another team certainly not for big dollars. I see no leverage, the team can simply say good by and move on. They don't want to end the Phanatic but before spending big bucks in court maybe they will.

The internet didnt exist yet...so you cant sell rights to something before it was invented...invented as a commercial tool
The internet has nothing to do with this. The Phanatic was marketed right after it was created. That's why Philly paid the money in 1984 for permanent ownership of the rights.

Kinda like translator law being used to stream local broadcast stations on a non profit status...have to wait and see what the courts say
The internet has nothing to do with this. The Phanatic was marketed right after it was created. That's why Philly paid the money in 1984 for permanent ownership of the rights.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)