Has your view on Platinum Changed

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Great news today on all the HD adds!!!, on another note has your view of the platinum package changed now with the adds. I currently have the package for three months. I will have to see if the added channels will want me to now keep the package!!!

Sixth. Like the OP, I have the pack free for 3 months. The only way I would extend is to let me have free!!

Uh, this is like slamming a movie before you have seen it.

At least give the new channels a try - it looks like the new channels are neatly chosen so that there is one new channel for everyone, regardless of their taste...

Here's a hint...

AFAIK Dish has provided EVERY new HD channel added to the HD Platinum package in 2009 to those of us that some seem to consider to be Dish HD "bottom feeders" -- HD Absolute subs (like me) -- that are still only paying $29.99 for ALL of our (non local/premium) HD Channels :)

Talon Dancer

Eh, I'm actually considering adding it again...at least for a while until I wise up again.

I used to record movies all the time off HDNet Movies (and a few off MGM), but I decided it still wasn't worth $10 a month. But really, we also watched Universal quite a bit, and NHL sometimes.

However, my wife watched both Ultra before they pulled it, and Style before I killed the top 250 package. She would watch Fashion, I would probably watch Mav every once in a while, and we would both watch Logo every once in a while. (Yes, straight people actually watch "gay" programming sometimes, just like guys watch the occasional "chick flick") Also, if BET-J ever actually showed any jazz, I might watch, but it looks exactly the same as BET from the listings.

Anyway, it's enough to tip the scales, so I'll probably turn it back on for a while. Eventually, I'll realize I'm not watching it as much as I thought I would, and HDNet Movies is starting to cycle it's movies again, and I'll dump it for a while. At the very least, I'll get another batch of great old movies recorded.

Nope. I still think HBO is a better bang for your $$$.

Apples to oranges. First of all, HBO costs more if you buy it on it's own. Second, I would assume most people to subscribe to platinum already get HBO, and maybe another movie channel.

Well, that's my situation, anyway. I used to get everything, cut way back (DVR Adv 200 + HD, HBO, Starz). I'm considering adding a couple of things back. Personally, I might be deciding between Showtime and Platinum. That should be a no brainer, but I don't watch any Showtime series since Dexter fell apart, and I really think I would watch more movies on HD Net Movies.

A more interesting comparison might be Platinum to the "gold" add on. Obviously, "Gold" has more channels, but does it have more HD channels? How does Encore HD compare to the HDNet Movies/MGM combo? Is TMC a factor, since it's not in HD? (I never watch non HD movies channels anymore)

Style & Fine Living or Fashion? C&I or Sleuth & Chiller? NHL/NBA, or would you rather see more college sports on ESPN-U?

It's no longer a jazz channel, so you won't see any jazz here (or HD, for that matter).....it's just "J".

If its just BET, then why do they call it Jazz. Also, why do they call it HD. I haven't seen any Jazz or HD since it was added.

The only channels of value in the package are NBA TV and NHL Network, but they are definately not worth $5/channel. Maybe if they added Big Ten Network for those outside the network's region, I MIGHT consider it, but no. I used up my 3 month free offer on Platinum, then dropped it.

Still offers nothing I am interested in for $10 a month. It's the same price differential as going from AT200 to AT250, which gets you as many HD channels plus more SD's for the kids, if that's something you are interested in. I'll pay that $10 for EncoreHD, NatGeoHD, and the kids stuff, but for what is offered in the Platinum package, no way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)