Hated Zoom after what was done to me!!

Stalker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Kentucky
I know this will be considered flaming so I dont know if it wil even be seen, but.....Thier customer service was not good to me at all..I had Voom all of 12 hours, and was trying to figure out a few thing and notice all my channels suddnely were gone when I got up the next morning to watch HD...called with the intent of speaking to tech, and got a message saying I had a balance or I hadnt been billed i thought and then spoke to a CSR, and to make a long story short I had signed on with my check/visa card and was told by her that they only acceptt regualr credit cards, and I refused to use one as payment so they terminated my service.

Im extremely pissed now because not only will not be till a week from today before thier installer be here to pickup the equipment and mount my other dish so I can go back to dish network, I have to pay a reconnect fee and 2 months in advance to get my Dish back.

IM really upset that this error was made after the fact, and therefore will not only have nothing to do with Voom I will not reccomend them to anyone!!

Stalker said:
I know this will be considered flaming so I dont know if it wil even be seen, but.....Thier customer service was not good to me at all..I had Voom all of 12 hours, and was trying to figure out a few thing and notice all my channels suddnely were gone when I got up the next morning to watch HD...called with the intent of speaking to tech, and got a message saying I had a balance or I hadnt been billed i thought and then spoke to a CSR, and to make a long story short I had signed on with my check/visa card and was told by her that they only acceptt regualr credit cards, and I refused to use one as payment so they terminated my service.

Im extremely pissed now because not only will not be till a week from today before thier installer be here to pickup the equipment and mount my other dish so I can go back to dish network, I have to pay a reconnect fee and 2 months in advance to get my Dish back.

IM really upset that this error was made after the fact, and therefore will not only have nothing to do with Voom I will not reccomend them to anyone!!

ummm.. I'm using a Visa check card with them without problem? hmmm...

Stalker said:

There is really no way for them to know if a Visa is a check or credit card unless you reveal it. As long as the charges go through, there is no issue. The charges are fulfilled as quickly with either method. You either had insufficient funds and your bank wouldn't pay, or you flat out said, "It's a debit/check card." Some CSR's would then give you the "we don't accept those" line, even though they work identically from what they can see. The difference is in overcharge/fraud resolution--and that is up to the customer.

Edit: WTF is "Zoom"?

cameron119 said:
There is really no way for them to know if a Visa is a check or credit card unless you reveal it. As long as the charges go through, there is no issue. The charges are fulfilled as quickly with either method. You either had insufficient funds and your bank wouldn't pay, or you flat out said, "It's a debit/check card." Some CSR's would then give you the "we don't accept those" line, even though they work identically from what they can see. The difference is in overcharge/fraud resolution--and that is up to the customer.

Edit: WTF is "Zoom"?

Good point. I meant to add that I never reveal that it is a check card that I use, pretty much all the time. It seems when you do you will get hassled. When you don't they have no idea. The only time I have ever been turned down by using the check card is when I had asked first if they excepted it. Since then I've learned to just call it a Visa and leave it at that, and haven't had any problems with it!

Absolutely! There is no way they can know how the funds are distributed via the card. All they know is it's a valid Visa as long as the funds clear/bank pays any overdrafts. They only hassle after finding out it's a debit because of liability issues. Even if they contacted Visa directly, it isn't likely the Visa CSR would reveal whether the card withdraws from a rotating, interest-bearing account, or a checking/savings account.

That's what I thought too. But the other day I found out I was double charged (Also Visa check card through Union Planters was used). They asked did you use a check card and I said yes. The CSR said somehow they double charge if you use this method. I don't have any idea why this would be the case but I was double charged.

the customer agreement says you can use a debit check card i saw sean said he was double charged also so i must be their mistake

rexoverbey said:
That's what I thought too. But the other day I found out I was double charged (Also Visa check card through Union Planters was used). They asked did you use a check card and I said yes. The CSR said somehow they double charge if you use this method. I don't have any idea why this would be the case but I was double charged.
I was never double charged

Debit/Credit Card

I also use the check card like a credit card and never mention the difference. I was double charged the first month and told that it took over thirty days to get that credited back. They told me that their system would not tolerate debit/credit cards even if used as a credit card (at the grocery store they ask you credit or debit and I always say credit). Also, my wife did not know who the name and number that had charged us was, so she called them. They told her that it must be a bogus charge and they had never heard of VOOM.

I was double charged but the mistake was corrected. I use a credit card. I can see why get frustrated with getting double charged while using a check card. It is my personal opinion never to use a check card like a credit card. First, I keep the absolute minimum on my check account to pay all monthly bills. Meaning that any charge not accounted for will be overdrawn. Therefore, I never use my check card this way. Credit card are so much better for me to use because I always pay them on time on their due date without outstanding balance. Also, credit cards protect you from Vendors who double charge you or do not deliver on the products but yet charge you from it. I do not believe check cards protect you that way.

I am not saying that one way or other it's the customer fault. But to me those check cards have never provided me with anything better than a credit card would.

Edit: too bad the customer had to cancel based on this.

When I signed up I was told quite emphatically that I could not use a debit card. I gave them my credit card number and then for some reason it doesn't get charged oin there. I get a paper bill and have to send a check.

I think I'll call back (or log on?) and have them put it on my debit card though.

They had a problem with their system last week and it showed everyone as being late with their payment.

I called for sound issues on Rave and while on hold I put in my number and it said I was behind on my payment, which is pretty tough since its auto charged and I had the service a whole 7 days....

The person told me that they had a problem with the automated bill payment system and it was telling everyone they were late.

BTW, just an FYI, its bad practice to use a debit card anyplace where you do not have direct control of it. A debit is linked to your account and when you use a debit to purchase in cases like this its opening up your account to immediate withdrawls with not a whole lot of recourse on your side.

If they overcharge your credit card you call and it gets put on hold while its investigated, no one gets their money and your protected. If they overcharge a debit the money is gone, you can still fight it but your rights on a real credit card are far better and of course your not missing any money out of your account.

Having worked in an environment involving hundreds of thousands of electronic accounts, I can tell you that mistakes will be made.

I don't own a debit card for that reason. I'd rather someone mistakingly charge $10K to my charge account and me not pay it, than have someone take $10K out of my checking account and me not know about it for a few weeks.

Get rid of those debit cards. It isn't worth the risk exposure.

found out why you were double charged the computer creates 2 accounts so it bills your card twice so i called CSR they took care of it make sure when you talk to them you make sure there is not another account if there is they will fix it make sure you catch early then you wont be double billed if they shut you off at least the other account will be there to prove you paid for the service unfortunatly the bill info online is the wrong bill so just be careful

Now how bout that!!

I think I will give them a call back and do some ass chewing then..the last CSR I spoke to said that it was in the agreement that ONLY major credit cards were used, and when I told her that if I hadn't mentioned that I had used my check card you people would have known the differnce anyway she said the way thier system was setup that they would and some lame excuse as to that is why they only accept major CC...She stated debit cards were doubled billed every month because of a glitch in the system and cusotmers who are setup that way are calling every month to get that extra charged taken off..Any truth to that anyone?