Have a 5lnb setup but due to spring lost 110 and 119 LOS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnner1999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
earth
Once my trees bloomed my recently installed dish stopped receiving LOS to both 110 and 119 sats, which I guess I only need to have for the guide information.

So besides swapping my 5lnb SWM head would can I do?

I have about 1 week of guide data (which means I have one week to fix before wife makes me sleep on the couch) :)

So besides swapping my 5lnb SWM head would can I do?

1) Trim trees
2) Move Dish
3) Go into setup of the receiver and mark that you only have a 3LNB dish.
4) Swap LNB
5) Find a comfortable couch. :D

I would personally try option #3 as it is the easiest and least expensive. You should not nee 110 or 119 for guide data as many dishes don't even receive those satellites.

Well I used the wrong word, they are not my tree(s) :-(

I don't think I can change the lnb config - if I recall correctly that option is greyed out? Could the lnb automatically control the receivers ???

I'd go into the setup and check but will if I can't make the change will it remove the program data that I have left? Or will the guide be intact?

If your not missing any programming you can switch out the 5 for a 3 lnb swm. After it is switched repeat sat setup & it will automatically detect the 3 lnb swm. It will then pull guide data from another bird. Again this is assuming your not missing any programming.

* The only time you have the option of changing your setup is with the standard 4 port slimline lnbs, whether it's a 5 or 3. Other than that the swm lnbs will automatically detect & not let you change the setup. The non swm lnbs also require the use of a bbc at each receiver.

Last edited:
You can't just change a 5 lnb to 3 in the menu, you have to actually install a new 3 lnb. The guide data will then come from 101 instead of 119. IIRC, leaving the receiver/dvr on an hd channel will also force the data from 101.

So you can't go into the Dish setup menu and choose that you have a Slimline 3 instead of the Slimline 5? I have the option on my receiver but I don't have a SWM LNB installed. Does the SWM LNB gray out the option of changing your dish type? This is what I meant by changing the LNB in the setup.

I don't know if it is available in the menu, but my understanding is that it won't work even if it is.

If you have a slimline 5 dish installed (non-SWM) and you change the setup in your receiver to slimline 3, this will NOT solve the problem. The slimline 5 LNB uses the guide data from the 101 satellite when you are tuned to a channel from 99/101, and the guide data from 119 when you are tuned to a channel from 103/110/119. The slimline 3 LNB and all SWM LNBs use guide data from 101 whatever channel you are tuned to. This use of guide data is built-in to the electronics of the slimline 5 and slimline 3 LNBs and changing settings in the receiver won't change it. This means if you set your dish type in sat setup to slimline 3 when you actually have a slimline 5, you won't get any guide data when you are tuned to a channel from 103 (where most HD comes from) so if you leave the tuner on a 103 channel, you will eventually get a diagnostic message telling you you are not getting guide data, and you will start to see gaps in future guide info.
The solution is to replace the LNB with a slimline 3 LNB, or any SWM LNB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)