HR-24 tuner 2 quit working

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftaisawesome

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
I'm pretty sure I have this narrowed down to the receiver but, I figured I'd run it by you guys just in case. Here is the deal. For over a year, I've had my DTV installed with an HR-22. DTV installed it. SWM install. Worked fine. I just added an HR-24 I bought from an online supplier about a week ago. I simply hooked it up to the 4 way splitter called DTV and activated. Everything is good. Tonight I come home from work (nobody has been here) the HR-22 is working fine. I turn on the 24 and it says searching for signal on Sat 2.

I've tried using a different port on the splitter. Same result. I"ve tried the reset, it didn't work either. I've tried taking the cable from the HR-22 and putting it into the HR-24, I still only get signal strength on tuner 1. I took the cable from the HR-24 and hooked it to the HR-22. The HR-22 still worked with both tuners.

I called DTV and they had me try some things. None of them worked. They couldn't help me other than to offer a $50 tech visit.

My way of thinking is if I'm using the same cable that is working fine on the one box and, moving it to the other, only to get the same non working result, then the cabling must be fine. It has to be the box itself right?

Last edited:
It sounds like you have narrowed it down to the HR24's second tuner. Have you tried a hard reboot, unplugging it for 10 minutes or so? Then go through the complete setup again. Failing that, Directv should send you another one for shipping, although it may not be an HR24. If you have the protection plan, there is no shipping.

Something else to try, just to exhaust all your options, unplug the PI for a few minutes and let everything reboot and see what happens.
PI's tend to be flaky from time to time.

Are you able to watch one channel and record another, if so, I wouldn't worry about it. If not, I would continue to pursue it.

I'm pretty sure I have this narrowed down to the receiver but, I figured I'd run it by you guys just in case. Here is the deal. For over a year, I've had my DTV installed with an HR-22. DTV installed it. SWM install. Worked fine. I just added an HR-24 I bought from an online supplier about a week ago. I simply hooked it up to the 4 way splitter called DTV and activated. Everything is good. Tonight I come home from work (nobody has been here) the HR-22 is working fine. I turn on the 24 and it says searching for signal on Sat 2.

I've tried using a different port on the splitter. Same result. I"ve tried the reset, it didn't work either. I've tried taking the cable from the HR-22 and putting it into the HR-24, I still only get signal strength on tuner 1. I took the cable from the HR-24 and hooked it to the HR-22. The HR-22 still worked with both tuners.

I called DTV and they had me try some things. None of them worked. They couldn't help me other than to offer a $50 tech visit.

My way of thinking is if I'm using the same cable that is working fine on the one box and, moving it to the other, only to get the same non working result, then the cabling must be fine. It has to be the box itself right?

What other receivers do you have hooked up? Did this DVR put you over the number of tuners you can have in your set-up?

What other receivers do you have hooked up? Did this DVR put you over the number of tuners you can have in your set-up?

Hmmm, good call bbixler, although the OP hasn't responded yet, still a good call. :)

The OP mentioned SWM, so theres a pretty good chance that he already had at least 2 different recvrs, both being HR's that we know of, thats 4 tuners there.

Yup, that could be it. OP, did the second tuner ever work correctly? Do you have other receivers/dvrs?

When I had my install done, I had two HR-24 and one H24 installed. When the installer was hooking up the two HR-24's he connected the sat input using the outer most input, as the HR-24's have two inputs. I asked him about it and he told me that this is the way he was told to connect them.

Have you tried moving the sat input to the outer most input on the HR-24?? Might work, might not. Just my two cents. Hope it works out for you.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to take them in order here.

Chip, yes I tried the hard reboot. That was the first thing I tried. I tried it again today just to see if it would kick in. Still no luck.

Jimbo, I did unplug the power inserter. DTV told me on the phone last night that I could try that. The rep told me to unhook all sat cables and unplug that and reconnect the cables and power up the inserter last. Still a no go. I cannot record one channel and watch another. I had to change the options to single tuner to be able to even watch anything.

bbixler, I only have the original HR-22 hooked up. I've only had the one receiver for the first year or so of my subscription. Like I said, I've had this HR-24 for about 10 days. It worked fine til I came home from work last night. There was no one here to mess with the settings or anything.

Chip, Yes the second tuner worked fine for about 10 days.

Jwolf, yeah I had it hooked to the outermost port. That is the one labeled for SWM. Like I said, it worked fine for a little while.

What I did was called the vendor I got it from. I explained everything I tried. I also let them know that I swapped places with the 22 and the HR-22 worked fine even with the cabling I had been using on the HR-24. I tried the 24 with the cabling I was usng on the 22 and still no tuner 2. The vendor was great. They are sending me a new one out Monday along with a prepaid label to send this one back. You can't beat that. That's what I call good customer service. Now I don't know if I would have gotten the same treatment had I had it for say, 6 months or so but, hopefully I never find out.

Sounds like you picked a good vendor. Let's hope it all works out for you.

When I had my install done, I had two HR-24 and one H24 installed. When the installer was hooking up the two HR-24's he connected the sat input using the outer most input, as the HR-24's have two inputs. I asked him about it and he told me that this is the way he was told to connect them.

Have you tried moving the sat input to the outer most input on the HR-24?? Might work, might not. Just my two cents. Hope it works out for you.

Only reason he would remove a line from your HR24 would be if you were being changed over to a SWM set up, otherwise you still need both lines connected.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to take them in order here.

Chip, yes I tried the hard reboot. That was the first thing I tried. I tried it again today just to see if it would kick in. Still no luck.

Jimbo, I did unplug the power inserter. DTV told me on the phone last night that I could try that. The rep told me to unhook all sat cables and unplug that and reconnect the cables and power up the inserter last. Still a no go. I cannot record one channel and watch another. I had to change the options to single tuner to be able to even watch anything.

bbixler, I only have the original HR-22 hooked up. I've only had the one receiver for the first year or so of my subscription. Like I said, I've had this HR-24 for about 10 days. It worked fine til I came home from work last night. There was no one here to mess with the settings or anything.

Chip, Yes the second tuner worked fine for about 10 days.

Jwolf, yeah I had it hooked to the outermost port. That is the one labeled for SWM. Like I said, it worked fine for a little while.

What I did was called the vendor I got it from. I explained everything I tried. I also let them know that I swapped places with the 22 and the HR-22 worked fine even with the cabling I had been using on the HR-24. I tried the 24 with the cabling I was usng on the 22 and still no tuner 2. The vendor was great. They are sending me a new one out Monday along with a prepaid label to send this one back. You can't beat that. That's what I call good customer service. Now I don't know if I would have gotten the same treatment had I had it for say, 6 months or so but, hopefully I never find out.

Glad to see the vendor is taking care of you :up

Looks like you tried everything we could come up with ...

Btw, keep us updated once you make the swap to make sure all is good !

I too have always had an issue with tuner 2 on ONE of my Hr21. I have two Hr21's and SWM.........Though tuner two on my one living room HR21 isn't dead like yours, it's always about ten points lower than tuner one (but only on the newer satellites) not all of them.....The bedroom HR21 is the exact same on both tuners for all satellites. But everything seems to be working fine and I haven't had any issues watching tv, other than the audio drop outs that a lot of people have. I have also unplugged all cables and the power insert plugged back in last and rebooted each receiver individually but still that issue on tuner two on the one receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)