have a 7.5 foot mesh dish that needs repair

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kcwilsonii

Original poster
May 1, 2012
California
and having trouble finding anyone good to work on it.

Old line had a break in it somewhere and had a new line added, but do not get any
chanels. The tech that ran the new line did not know enough about the system to get it
up and running. The new line toned out fine, but I get no channels on the satelite box.

Old line had a triple wire with coax and what looks like wires for power.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Satellit dish pictures

Ok here are the pictures, the device says Homecable on it

Attachments

• Dish1.jpg
    Dish1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
  • Dish2.jpg
    Dish2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
Click link, on page that opens, scroll down for live link.
List brand/ model names of the "satellite Box" The whole 'story' will also be helpful, as in did it work before the broken cable, etc.
In pic #1, the domed cover is removable, a picture of what's under that cover.
This is a DIY hobby, for the most part, so the best answers come from the best info.
But if you're close to another member here, and they jump in the thread, maybe a visit may come about.

Ok, i looked under the cover and theLNB is a Chapparal C-Band model. It's a little confusing to as the old line had a 2 double coax setup
and this only has one connection. I am assuming everything was working before hand but may need a new LNB.

Was looking at trying a DMX741. I did buy a sat finder to test things before I buy and start taking things apart.

Other than using the Sat finder, how do you test a unit to make sure it's still functional?

What is the receiver model? A new LNBF will not with an older analog receiver. .
BITD, Satellite ribbon cable had two coaxes. Used for dual band or just a 'spare'.
Checking the coax: put the meter in the coax line near the lnb. Short jumper to LNB. Should get an indication of power. Use the receiver to move the dish. Should see meter needle rise and fall.

Just for reference, here's a discussion of what analogs are/may still available, (getting dated): http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/237933-no-analog-channels.html

>>Satellite ribbon cable had two coaxes. Used for dual band or just a 'spare'
I am thinking it was dual band beforehand and they updated to the chapparal model at a later date due
to digital conversion

Status
Please reply by conversation.