having trouble locating Nimiq 6 and Nimiq 4 in Northeasten Colorado

AAASATELLITE

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Colorado
Does ANYONE know why I can't locate these 2 sats with a dish 500? I am using a superbuddy 29 and am not able to get a lock on both at the same time. When I get a lock on Nimiq 6 at 91.0 with a signal of 100 the switch test on the receiver verifies the 110.0 location! A year or 2 ago I tuned these sats for the same customer with no problems. Has the footprint changed since then? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yes, both foot prints have changed. They do not go very far into the states. 82 does a little better east and 91 a little better west. Colorado is too far South for reception, probably even with a bigger dish. I am in Indianapolis and had to install a bigger dish and I am right on the edge of both beams.

There is a good contour map from real people who tried different dishes at the top of the page for 82. My guess is that you will need a 76 cm for 82 and there may be no hope for 91.

According to the 82 chart on here, you can get 82 with a 75cm or larger dish If you do not have an HD receiver, then it's a lost cause.

According to the 82 chart on here, you can get 82 with a 75cm or larger dish If you do not have an HD receiver, then it's a lost cause.

Just to clarify. N82 is HD and you NEED an HD receiver for 82. Nothing will show up in the guide while using a standard receiver except for international channels.

We have a 1.2m dish aimed at 82 and a 30cm aimed at 91. Last year when Nimiq6 launched we lost 91 and 82 went way south with Nimiq4. Located in Colorado Springs.

We want it back. We've gone a year with CBC and it is killing us.

It has been off (but we have kept paying for the subscription) for the past year... Today I turned it on and saw what I got. On 91, I get 0 on all transponders. That's expected with new the sat. I then walked 82, and it was pretty decent. The results below are with the 1.2m dish aimed directly at 82. First column is transponder, second column is signal strength as reported by the receiver. I can tune in a couple stations (HD) and hear the sound. The video shows briefly and then I get a "not authorized to view content" message. I am assuming since the receiver hasn't been able to phone home or get guide updates for a year. So I am leaving it on, but I am in Colorado Springs, CO. Waaaaaaay out of the 82 footprint. I am not opposed to getting 3m or more dishes, so I think this is welcome news... It is interesting how some transponders I get 0 on.

Whrn you say "went way south" do you mean that 82 got worse? My 82 has been the same since 2009. I also find it odd that t32, my strongest, is your weakest. Disconnect the switch you were using, run check switch and save changes. It will download the guide. When I came back from Canada after Nimiq 6 went up, my receiver was acking odd until I did that. Also, by disconnecting the mutiswitch you may increase your signal. Also, make sure the center conductors of the cables are still copper-colored and not black...it is amazing what a difference 1 connector can make. You could also trying swapping your 91 and 82 lnbs

Whrn you say "went way south" do you mean that 82 got worse? My 82 has been the same since 2009. I also find it odd that t32, my strongest, is your weakest. Disconnect the switch you were using, run check switch and save changes. It will download the guide. When I came back from Canada after Nimiq 6 went up, my receiver was acking odd until I did that. Also, by disconnecting the mutiswitch you may increase your signal. Also, make sure the center conductors of the cables are still copper-colored and not black...it is amazing what a difference 1 connector can make. You could also trying swapping your 91 and 82 lnbs

When Nimiq 4 went up, we lost 82 completely on a smaller 45cm dish. I mistyped earlier. The first setup in ~2007 had a 30cm pointed at 91 and a 45cm pointed at 82. That worked great until Nimiq4, then 82 went dead. Completely, did not receive a signal at all. Every transponder was 0. This is after they turned it on fully. We then upgraded to a 1.2m dish for 82 and pointed the 45cm at 91. This picked up signals in the 50's to 80's. I did notice that 82 seemed to "warble" really badly. The readings in the middle of the day were much stronger (80's) than in early AM hours (60's). After Nimiq6 went up, we lost 91 completely and 82 dropped to pretty much what it is now. I am VERY far south for 82, so getting anything is surprising. The digital signal's cutoff I can't believe I am getting anything. My location is where the red dot is on the map:

nimiq4location___XESo6Q8Icw.jpg

I find it strange that some transponders I get 0 on. I am assuming all transponders have signals, but perhaps it is too weak to lock so what is really 40's unlocked shows as 0 because it is not locked. Hopefully a 2m or 3m dish will improve signals. It will be interesting if I can pick up 91...

Connectors, switches, and everything are OK. I know the 91 non-reception is because the dish (45cm, not 30cm) is just too small to get anything since Nimiq6 is an even tighter footprint than Nimiq4 now. I might try aiming the 1.2m dish at 91 to see if I getanything at all...

Apparently the "wobble" I saw when Nimiq 4 was initially launched still exists... I could have sworn the wobble was so bad it was unintentional and they would have stabilized it by now, but apparently not. I checked signal levels around 11pm tonight, and everything was 0 on 82. This is similar to 2008-ish when around 10pm we would lose HD channels on 82. They would come back around 6am or so. The same exists today with the 1.2m dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts