LNB and Receiver in two locations

Drlee

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2022
US - PA and Rhode Island
Hi,
I have a Shaw 75e dish with the two satellite LNB. I have a home in PA and we just bought a home in Rhode Island. We will go back and forth between the two locations - spending at least a few months in one location. I have a second 75e dish but no separate LNB for it. If I set up the second dish in RI can I remove the LNB and 630 receiver and once I have the dish pointed correctly use this setup in the second location? Then in the spring take the setup back to PA and restore service there?
Thanks!

There are several problems with doing this. First you need to understand some are actually sharing an account. In order to prevent this Dish uses several ways to detect the unauthorized use. I would highly recommend you opening a vacation account and going through the proper channels. Dish will set you up with dish and equipment and you can turn it on and off as needed. I feel it would be wrong of me to offer ideas on how to circumvent the system.

P.S. Your locals are on a narrow spot beam, and you are possibly not able to receive them.

Hi,
I have a Shaw 75e dish with the two satellite LNB. I have a home in PA and we just bought a home in Rhode Island. We will go back and forth between the two locations - spending at least a few months in one location. I have a second 75e dish but no separate LNB for it. If I set up the second dish in RI can I remove the LNB and 630 receiver and once I have the dish pointed correctly use this setup in the second location? Then in the spring take the setup back to PA and restore service there?
Thanks!
Yes it will work fine. I would research how far the Satellite footprints reach before doing anything.

No but the hard drive is not the same as in a laptop. the laptop hard drives have extra protection to prevent the needle and platters from moving during your moving
The Dish Hopper w/Sling installed in our motorhome has been in use since 2014 and has about 50,000 miles behind it with zero problems. The hard drive retracts the heads on the HD platter at power down.

Thanks for your reply. However, I am using Shaw - not Dish. Does this change your response?
According to the sat maps, you should be able to pickup G1 sat OK. You will need a new PVR (830). The F2 sat is dying quickly and all channels are going to be moved to the G1 sat with new coding that only the 830 has. Good luck.

Reactions: c-spand
It is likely to be a sub-optimal solution to tote the LNB back and forth. The unconnected cable probably won't fare all that well if you don't protect the exposed end (slather it with dielectric grease and/or terminate it with a coupler and a cap).

According to the sat maps, you should be able to pickup G1 sat OK. You will need a new PVR (830). The F2 sat is dying quickly and all channels are going to be moved to the G1 sat with new coding that only the 830 has. Good luck.
Hi, Thanks for this response. Sorry for my delay. I have been caught up in the move to RI. I am concerned about the PVR change. I vaguely recall reading something that would make it harder for me to maintain my "Canadian mailbox" account. It may have had something to do with an internet requirement but I do not distinctly recall what the issue is. Do you have any insight? Thanks again

Hi, Thanks for this response. Sorry for my delay. I have been caught up in the move to RI. I am concerned about the PVR change. I vaguely recall reading something that would make it harder for me to maintain my "Canadian mailbox" account. It may have had something to do with an internet requirement but I do not distinctly recall what the issue is. Do you have any insight? Thanks again
I don't know what a Canadian Mailbox account is. But don't connect your PVR to the internet. I pay my account online with a Canadian bank account.

The so-called mailbox is simply what my provider called it. I pay with my credit card to her and she simply charges me an annual $50 fee. Can you tell me what PVR you have?

Thanks. Then we have the same unit. Since you made the comment about the 830 unit I assume you'll be getting one if you plan to maintain your subscription. Before I purchase a new unit I plan on making sure I correctly set up things here in RI and have a signal. I believe I have a clear sky view for the time being unless the weeping willow across the street grows too much.

Thanks. Then we have the same unit. Since you made the comment about the 830 unit I assume you'll be getting one if you plan to maintain your subscription. Before I purchase a new unit I plan on making sure I correctly set up things here in RI and have a signal. I believe I have a clear sky view for the time being unless the weeping willow across the street grows too much.
I'm not maintaining my subscription. Right now I'm on vacation disconnect till Oct 23 till I get back to Mesa AZ. Once my programming quits I'll just shut down my account because a 830 unit won't work in AZ.

How would I learn the procedure to know whether the 830 will work in RI? There are some programs I have really become attached to and would be sorry to lose. I used to be involved in a Canadian studies program at a university in PA which is what led me to getting an account in the first place. Sorry this will affect your viewing.

The G1 footprint shows a good signal in RI so a 830 unit should be OK. I would set up your dish with your 630 then tune to a channel that's on the G1 sat. If it's good then your good to go.

Here's the forecasted coverage for Anik G1:

1664640916222.png

The more "rosy" the coverage, the better the signal.

Reactions: QCK