Having trouble locking in AMC-3, any installers in Louisville area?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bullcell

Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
louisville, KY
I direct a non-profit FM station. We have assembled 3 meter dish with PLL LNB but have been unable to lock into preprogrammed receiver. Anyone in the area with spectrum analyzer & related equipment to help? Will be happy to discuss compensation for time involved.

You didn't indicate C or Ku band, but here is what I would do...

1. Go to dishpointer dot com, put in your zip code and select AMC3 and it will give you Az/El info for your position.
2. Make sure your dish is near that location per the Az/El numbers given to you.
3. Go to Lyngsat dot com and look at AMC3. Select a transponder (C or KU) which shows DVB programming.
4. Hook up a DVB receiver and look for signal at that transponder freq...or...hook up an analog receiver and look for a NTSC signal.
5. Verify you are on the right sat by making sure the signal you are getting is on AMC3. If it is not AMC3, look at a sat E or W of AMC3 on Lyngsat to ID the signal.
This will tell you if you have to move the dish E or W.
6. After finding and verifying AMC3, hook up your dedicated receiver.

I am about 2.5 hours WNW of Louisville in Richland County, Illinois. If you cannot find anyone closer to help you in a couple of days maybe we can work something out as far as gas goes for me to come help you.

(edit: just realized that a dedicated receiver will either work off of a horizontal or vertical transponder. Make sure your feed is set up for the correct polarization. In other words, if your receiver is receiving signal off a horizontal transponder, you will not find your signal if the feed is set for vertical reception.)

dennis

Last edited:
dang I locked AMC3 yesterday on the 6 footer and both This TV & TVU were at 75 quality on the Pansat...never been that high before
This was at 45 and TVU would barely get above 25

Amc-3 is a powerful bird. I would do the dvb receiver idea. Any FTA box will work
I don't know what type of signal you are trying to lock unless its a starguide receiver or some type of radio programming specific platform.

You will also need to know how to program the receiver you are using being sure the polarity is set to either H or V and the downlink freq or IF frequency is correct for the signal.

You may be on it but could have some wrong settings.

You didn't indicate C or Ku band, but here is what I would do...

1. Go to dishpointer dot com, put in your zip code and select AMC3 and it will give you Az/El info for your position.
2. Make sure your dish is near that location per the Az/El numbers given to you.
3. Go to Lyngsat dot com and look at AMC3. Select a transponder (C or KU) which shows DVB programming.
4. Hook up a DVB receiver and look for signal at that transponder freq...or...hook up an analog receiver and look for a NTSC signal.
5. Verify you are on the right sat by making sure the signal you are getting is on AMC3. If it is not AMC3, look at a sat E or W of AMC3 on Lyngsat to ID the signal.
This will tell you if you have to move the dish E or W.
6. After finding and verifying AMC3, hook up your dedicated receiver.

I am about 2.5 hours WNW of Louisville in Richland County, Illinois. If you cannot find anyone closer to help you in a couple of days maybe we can work something out as far as gas goes for me to come help you.

(edit: just realized that a dedicated receiver will either work off of a horizontal or vertical transponder. Make sure your feed is set up for the correct polarization. In other words, if your receiver is receiving signal off a horizontal transponder, you will not find your signal if the feed is set for vertical reception.)

dennis

Dennis, thanks for the reply. The dish we have is C-band, installed over several days on a flat roof at our church with a non penetrating roof mount base (several fiberglass petals bolted together & feedhorn assembly per instructions). The LNB is quite large, mounted horizontally (does is matter if the small silver antenna inside the LNB is pointed up or down?) The vender, Satcom Resources informed me that this antenna should not be cross-hatched. (not sure if I understand this, but it can be mounted only one of two ways on the feedhorn) The network vendor (Salem Music Network) is leasing us a Wegener Unity 4000 receiver (preprogrammed by them). This receiver continues to show that it is scanning for service, and several small sweeps have been attempted using the attached coordinates. Polarity, focal length are to the best of my knowledge correct. The network has sent me some white papers regarding methods recommended, but we do not have the equipment. We attempted to lock in using a tone generating meter, and we have located several signals in this patch of sky, but no luck. I may take you up on the offer to help. I will be busy Tuesday, but would like to the bird locked down by Sunday.

Attachments

• Cband AMC3 site values.pdf
    354.2 KB · Views: 832
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)