Having trouble with anything east of 89 or west of 123

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Using the Microyal MRX-1000 and the old PrimeStar dish, I can easily hit all the major sats between IA8 (89) and Galaxy 10R (123). I am located at 88W, zip 36572. I am aware of the required azimuth, elevation and skew values.

The ones west of 123 I fear are too low for me to see unobstructed. The ones east of 89 are not blocked by any obstructions but I have so far been unsuccessful with AMC3 (87), AMC9 (83) and SBS6 (74). I have created these three in the setup and keyed in all the transponder info as listed at lyngsat.

Can anyone give me some suggestions here? Perhaps the transponders I've been using are currently inactive, can someone give me a strong transponder value to use for these three satellites?

I'm getting pretty good at this but I think a motorized mount would probably solve all my problems, unfortunately funds do not permit that anytime soon.

AMC 9 is all feeds so ask for that one when you are at the dish and ready to point it.

SBS 6-11741 H 6616 SR (Ohio News Net)

AMC 3-11736 V 6109 SR (MTA)

Update: I found AMC-9 today using Direcway at 12060V/30000. The rest of the satellite seems to be empty (or using values other than what's at lyngsat) right now.

I have also successfully found AMC5(79W), Galaxy-13(127) and IA7/E*7(129). Still no luck on SBS-6 or AMC-3; looking very closely at the elevation angles and estimated azimuth, I think I see parts of two different trees that are slightly in the way.

I guess I should count myself lucky that I found a spot in the backyard where I could mount the dish, see the signal bar on the TV thru the back door, and can actually find (at last count) 15 different Ku satellites. Maybe I can move the pole slightly and get the others.

An interesting discovery this afternoon. Apparently eyeballing it is not enough as I did not realize just how high up a 55 degree inclination is until I built a do-it-yourself Inclinometer. A quite useful tool, can't believe I waited until today to build one.

The trees I thought were blocking SBS6 and AMC3 are actually no problem, the culprit is in fact a different large tree with branches overhanging the dish farm directly overhead and just slightly to the south, enough to get in the way of the highest look angles. I also discovered there is absolutely no other location on my property that is more ideal for dish placement without requiring even more deforestation. One more tree, across the street by the neighbor's house, and I could probably get 148. I don't think I'll bother. If I ever get a BUD and decide I want something in that vicinity on C-band, maybe. But not anytime soon.

Assuming the inclinometer is right (I have no reason to doubt its accuracy), one visit from the friendly chainsaw jockey should get me all set. (the offending branches are about 15 feet off the ground, the guy has a bucket truck, I see no reason to risk MY life over this).

Pepper said:
(the offending branches are about 15 feet off the ground, the guy has a bucket truck, I see no reason to risk MY life over this).
Pepper,
Great idea to play it safe, even professionals can get hurt working with chainsaws to cut down trees. One of my neighbors (a professional logger) just had a tree blow back in a gust of wind and fall on him, crushing 3 vertebrae. He is laid up for 3 more months in a body brace. Last year my other neighbor ( another professional) had a saw "kick back" on him and almost lost 3 fingers, luckily they were able to re-attach them......

Success! Finally! Yee Haw!

Just to update anyone who might care, I moved my dish about four feet (southwest) closer to the house, apparently I have finally found a good spot where the entire arc fits between the trees. (It is easier to dig a hole and move stuff than to wait on the tree guy who has been overworked since Ivan came through last year)

Now I can find anything between 82W and 123W including the elusive SBS6 and AMC3 (should be clear down to at least PAS9 but I haven't found that one yet). I am going to replace the pole with a taller one this weekend and I should be able to get 127 and 129 again (now the house is in the way since the pole is closer).

Anybody got a motor they want to get rid of cheap? I'm getting tired of feeding the mosquitos.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)