Having Trouble With Sony VPL HS20 Front Projector

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackey bob

May 12, 2005
Actually I have had problems with three of these projectors. My son-in-law bought one and we did a HT installation that went well. The projector performed very well for a few weeks and then it brgan failing to power up. It was intermittent until finally it quit altogether. Unit was sent back for warranty work and it was returned with same problem. Sony responded with 1 day service and the projector has run properly since.

The second Sony was an installation I did for a friend. He had helped with the carpentry work on my HT so I assisted him with his. We chose the Sony based upon magazine reviews and the experience I had had with my son-in-law. Figured the first was a "lemon". On power up noticed that the unit would not focus properly. In fact if it had been a crt tv I would say that the convergence was out of whack inasmuch as the focus lines were red/green/blue. Sent it back to Sony and they repaired the focus. A second problem arose and it was an intermittant power problem. Sometimes it would not power up at all...even the "standby" was not illuminated. Other times it would power up and immediately drop into "standby". Sony fixed the problem and now it has been running okay for 3 months.

Sad to say my son bought a the Sony projector before the episode with the second projector. Since this model has been superseded by a new model he decided to buy the Sony at a heavily discounted price ($1750 vs $3500 MSRP). It was not installed for about three months after purchase. Upon power up I discovered that the projected picture was severely "keystoning". Aftera few minutes this problem goes away not to appear again until the unit is powered off and it cools down. That is not all. When the source input is selected, say "Component" it is okay for awhile and then will change to another input, say, "S Video". It may take a few minutes or it may take a few hours.

I am sure Sony will repair this one also however, in my personal experience Sony is 0 for 3 with this model.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts