Hawaii question: Ordered Sling adapter & Dish wants to send tech to "install"

fbbonline

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 9, 2008
A curious thing happened when I took advantage of the Sling Adapter rebate offer for existing customers, the online CSR wanted to set-up a free appointment for a tech to install the adapter. When I informed the CSR that I was more than capable of plugging in a USB device to my 722, the CSR noted that there was a note on my account stating a tech would have to come out and replace one of my 2 dishes (I am in Hawaii).

Being someone who lives by the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra, I successfully argued my way into having them just ship the adapter to me without the tech install.

Does anybody know what this is about? Was this just Dish trying to switch me from a 2 dish set-up to a single dish?

Without information from you we can only guess. But the fact you have two dishes does make it sound like that's what they want to change. What satellites do you see now? How do you know it "ain't" broke? Do you get all the channels (and in HD) you are supposed to? Even if you are, it is becoming more and more important to see all the satellites Dish says you should have because they move channels around between the them. Since they will do this for free, why not have them come out and explain exactly what they need to do? Not to mention, if nothing else, they could check your system for alignment, etc...

I am receving all of the channels (and in HD) that I am supposed to. The problem is that there is a real disconnect between the techs in Hawaii and Dish. They often don't have the parts needed to do what Dish is asking them to do, so they "improvise" (hence the two dishes). I spent 2 days on an install because the tech didn't realize that he had a malfunctioning birdog and couldn't align the dish correctly. I don't want someone screwing around with my set-up if there is no need to. I don't want to risk losing my signal for days on end while the tech tries to fix whatever problem he accidentally causes (not to mention I don't want to sit around for 5 hours waiting for him to show up).

I'll follow-up with MattG, but I guess I was looking for more of a general answer as to whether or not anyone knew if this was happening for other customers in Hawaii or if there were any plans to move the Hawaii spotbeam to a new satellite. I don't believe this is something specifically relating to me.

"I spent 2 days on an install because the tech didn't realize that he had a malfunctioning birdog and couldn't align the dish correctly. I don't want someone screwing around with my set-up if there is no need to. I don't want to risk losing my signal for days on end while the tech tries to fix whatever problem he accidentally causes (not to mention I don't want to sit around for 5 hours waiting for him to show up)."

You don't want to do that fun stuff again?? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts