Hawaii Subs: Do you have KHNL/KGMB problems?

Stopped watching the Hawaii locals during the 5:30pm local news tonight. At that time, only the normal audio drops, picture freezes and choppiness on KHNL and kgmb.

Just as a point of reference, the other night during the hockey game On khnl - nbc affiliate- I ran a tally during the first period. From puck drop to the first period buzzer we had:
24 picture freezes/ pixelations
12 audio drops/ garbles
63 picture "choppiness" episodes - and those were just the ones I could keep up with and still watch the game.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Can you send me a PM with your account information? I'd like to submit another technical problem report.

Well all Hawaii Local HD channels are horrific tonight on Direct TV, not sure if you folks on Dish is also experiencing the same. If this isn't due to a fix occuring I may file a complaint with the Hawaii Consumer Protection Agency, and when I do I also recommend that all of you on Dish as well as all on Direct TV to do the same...the number is 808 586 2630

I am hearing through the grape vine that Echo added a channel last night to the hawaii mux and screwed up directv's side of things, but this is unofficial! ;) I know that engineers are aware of it and are working to resolve the issue and what I say is no where near official :D. It seems that the Hawaii issues are coming from echostar.

It's been over 4 months that that KGMB/KHNL have been giving both DISH and DirectTV problems.

This all may be moot because the owner of these 2 stations - our NBC and CBS affiliates- says the retransmit agreement with DISH is expiring in one month. In addition, the same owner also controls KFVE and is threatening to black out all 3 stations.

Maybe it's time for the FCC to go back to allowing ownership of one TV station in a market.

Dish should dump the local channels,we can receive a very good ota signal.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using satelliteguys.

Not here in Kihei. Otherwise I'd do the OTA. Even with DIRT intervention and my own personal contact w/ DISH tech support and the engineer at KGMB/KHNL things seem to get done a little bit and are then left hanging.

I first got DISH in Oregon in the mid 90's and then when I moved here in 2000. Sigs have never been bad except for this episode. Personal contact with tech support - they listened but kinda just brushed me off and this was after DIRT submitted a couple of trouble tickets.

I still think DISH is a good deal to an extent. But I no longer can endorse them wholeheartedly like I used to.

One is this unacceptable business with our Hawaii locals. The other is that when I signed my parents up in NY several years ago, I explicitly and repeatedly verified my dad would get MSG for the Ranger games.

So for the last few years DISH failed on MSG and now it seems they will continue to fail with our hawaii locals. The thing that's really keeping me hanging on is PAC12 networks and the smaller dish sizes vs DirectTV on my roof.

While I cannot prove it I'm starting to wonder if there is possible collusion considering that KHNL/KGMB just took on Oceanic as their sponsor not too long ago, and then all of these issues with those channels on DISH and DirectTV starts....hmmm, makes you wonder no? Funny thing is that this pixelating happened before on these two channels about a couple years or so ago on Oceanic when I had their service...lmao

Cautiously optimistic but appears that KHNL is also now pretty much pixelation-free on DirectTV...KGMB was free of the glitches for over a week or so and now KHNL seems pretty good also. You getting the same with Dish ?

It seems that both KGMB and KHNL have improved on DISH.

The pixellation occurrences diminished about a week ago to only a few times per half hour.

However, the audio drops and garbles continued up until about a day or two ago.

I had the evening news on in the background on KGMB yesterday while performing some household chores and I wasn't sure if the feed was fixed or I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

Tonight I watched the 6:00 pm news on KHNL and was pleasantly surprised. No pixelations and no audio drops. Let's hope the good streak continues. It's been 5 months!

Thanks to the several DIRT members on the DISH side who intervened. Thanks also to you MBK for your persistence on the DirectTV end.

Do any of you DIRT members know what the solution turned out to be? It would be interesting to have that info.

Several years ago there was a somewhat similar issue that affected our locals. At the time, one of the suppositions was that the local signals were being over compressed.

In this most recent episode that lasted 5 months or more, the issue affected 2 stations/signals owned and operated by the same company.

Was this the way they prepared their transmission for the satellite providers? Was this a result of the way that the satellite providers received and retransmitted the feed?

The reason I hope there might be an answer is not to point blame but rather, if this occurs again, to be able to "recollect" past experiences and perhaps help resolve future issues in a more timely manner.

Hawaii (and others) are smaller markets which is why we do not receive some stations at all which are included in our packages. Or we receive only SD feeds whereas mainland subs get HD. The point is, I believe we are at the low end of the list for problem resolution. If we can say, "the last time this happened...", we may be able to help point troubleshooting efforts in a good direction.

As an NHL fan, the NBC broadcasts were so painful to watch at times this season that using my computer on a much smaller and lesser picture was preferable to seeing the TV coverage on my HD TV. My other alternative was to grab a cardio machine at my gym and watch on the cable channel at each machine. :)

I hate to bring this up again but we dealt with awful signals from KHNL during 5 months of NBC NHL broadcasts.

Tonight, the Seattle/Denver football game is showing very choppy audio and video. Very, very annoying. Commercials are ok but the game feed is awful. Just like we had before Raycom got their money.

The only difference from the 5 months we dealt with this in the past is that there is almost no pixellation.

This is really getting old.

It also happened to us on DirectTV, the game was choppy as hell on KHNL but played flawlessly on k5. I'm just hoping that this is a fluke and it won't be like before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)