Hawaii Subs: Do you have KHNL/KGMB problems?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ttomni6

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Maui
Aloha Hawaii subscribers:

Are you experiencing the following issues on only KGMB/KHNL (CBS/NBC)?...

Pixelation
Audio Dropouts
Audio Garble
Video Freezes/Pixelation
Video "jump"

I've been having these problems on these stations for over a month now - and it's only on these 2 local networks. All other stations emanating from the satellite are fine. When I took the time to count, I counted over 27 audio dropouts/garble and over 10 video freezes/pixelation per hour.

I worked with Ray from the DIRT Team. We reset and ran checkswitch on the DVR (722k), Changed HDMI cables, changed ports on the TV. The problems persist only on these two stations and also occur on the SD channels as well as the locals in the 5000 range and the 0xx-xxx range.

Ray put in a trouble ticket over two weeks ago and I thank him immensely for that. The problem has not improved here on Maui and after calling various tech support lines at DISH, I was told, "this will take awhile - 7 to 10 days before anyone looks at it".

I offered to send (email, ftp, whatever) several video files documenting each one of these issues but DISH tech cannot accept them.

As I stress, these issues occur only on these two stations which are owned by the same broadcaster and I assume emanate from the same broadcast center. If you are having the same issues in Hawaii, I will also contact the local affiliates, but it would be helpful to find if there are others who are experiencing the same.

I know that when a CSR or DIRT member submits a channel specific report it is looked at in real time and tested. If the group testing the channel replicates the issue then they start working on a fix or with whoever needs to fix it.

Whoever told you that it takes 7-10 days to be looked at was definitely misinformed.

I'm curious to see if anyone else is seeing this same issue you are and if it's a provider issue.

Yes i have the same problem on those two stations also (Khnl/Kgmb). I also had that same problem with khet a few months back,but that has cleared up. Problem was on the HD channels of those stations,never bothered to check the SD versions. Aloha from the big island of Hawaii.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using satelliteguys.

Aloha ttomni6, i've been watching kgmb for the past hour being slinged to me here at work from my 922 to my android phone. Except for occasional buffering,have not seen those problems so far,its now 03.35am,hope this info mite help.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using satelliteguys.

Yes, I have noticed problems also. I usually just watch DVR'd events but it is apparent.

My biggest gripe is Fox never broadcast in DD 5.1 on their regular shows, but live sporting events are just fine. Neither Dish or the local Fox will admit to any problems.

Randy

Can everyone experiencing issues with KHNL and KGMB please send us your account numbers in a PM? We are looking into this issue and would like to investigate further.

Thanks!

· Is the issue experienced on both SD and HD?

· Is there a specific time of day you experience the issue?

· Is DD 5.1 being offered during regular programming on SD or HD? Can you provide specific examples?

Is the issue experienced on both SD and HD?

Video is more noticeable on HD than SD, but yes, have seen this on SD. PIM me and we can work out a way for me to send you sample videos.

· Is there a specific time of day you experience the issue?

Evening news broadcasts are particularly bad. Prime Time shows also bad. Have also had this happen during NBC morning NHL broadcasts. There is a 6 hour time difference to the east coast, so the NBC NHL is usually on about 6:30AM. However, this will occur during all hours, perhaps not quite so frequently. Don't watch networks too often during daytime hours.

· Is DD 5.1 being offered during regular programming on SD or HD? Can you provide specific examples?

Have not noticed DD 5.1. Guide says news is in stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Attachments

• image-2481329544.jpg
    image-2481329544.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 243
If this is of any help I'm also having these isssues with KGMB and KHNL for a couple months now, but I'm with DirectTV.... I'm now also having the same issues with KITV as well...

If this is of any help I'm also having these isssues with KGMB and KHNL for a couple months now, but I'm with DirectTV.... I'm now also having the same issues with KITV as well...

That's great info!
Recently the picture freezes/pixelations and audio dropouts/garble have also moved over to KITV for me as well.

The KITV issues started the end of last week. I first reported the KGMB/KHNL issues back in April.

Do you also see the "choppy" video on KHNL ?
The only way I can describe it is that if the video were film, it's like a frame is missed every few seconds so movement is not smooth. It's most obvious on fast moving action like the national NHL broadcasts.

Funny your post should show up tonight. I called DISH tech support this evening to follow up on a trouble ticket placed back in April for these issues. I got cut off both times I called so I have no updates to report.

Yeah the KITV issues also started for me around the same time as you. And the pixelating (pictures blocks/choppy video), video/audio stuttering is happening on all three atations now. A member at the DirectTV forums mentioned that all three of those stations might be uplinking to both DirectTV and Dish from the same uplink facility... I plan to call DirectTV with all of this info tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Well I contacted DirectTV Tech Support and they informed me that they are now aware of this issue and have engineers working to resolve this matter.... finally! thank goodness!, as to timeframe, none specific could be given., just FYI

Well I contacted DirectTV Tech Support and they informed me that they are now aware of this issue and have engineers working to resolve this matter.... finally! thank goodness!, as to timeframe, none specific could be given., just FYI

OK – so here’s our situation…

Both DISH and DirectTV customers have identified picture freezes/pixellation/audio dropouts and choppy video on a number of our local stations. We have reported this to both DISH and DirectTV tech support. I personally have reported this to KHNL/KGMB engineering.

This unacceptable broadcast quality has existed for over 2 months for both DISH and DirectTV subscribers.

Recently, KITV has also started to demonstrate these same problems. Because of due diligence on the part of DISH and DirectTV subs, we seem to have narrowed the problem down to the uplink center for these stations. We may be mistaken, but we subscribers are not the engineers who are responsible for ensuring we receive the quality signals we expect and pay for.

Perhaps we subs have approached this from the incorrect position. We speak about the degraded PROGRAMMING we are receiving. I think we might need to take video and audio recordings demonstrating the problems we are experiencing and send them to the SALES departments of the affected stations and let them know that their sponsor ADVERTISEMENT messages are not being received in the manner that the sponsor is paying for. Especially the local sponsors.

You folks on Oahu who are affected would be more effective in this endeavor since we on Maui get Oahu ads but those companies do not serve us on the outer islands.

Unfortunately, the number of Hawaii subs who know about Satellite Guys is in the minority so an overall response is going to be minimal at best. We should probably note this fact when we make our contacts.

And since we subs are needing to do much legwork to get these issues resolved, we should ask for “make goods” from our providers. As a former radio person, I know that the sales department would rather have sales instead of make goods for missed or botched ads. So, if you write to advertisers about your poor reception of their ads, mention that they should ask for make goods.

Info from KHNL/KGMB Engineering

Just received a personal phone call from KGMB/KHNL Engineering about our pixelation/ freezes/ audio dropouts and choppy video.

Apparently the way it works is this:
1) DISH has an OTA antenna on the broadcast facilities on Oahu.
2) The signal from the OTA antenna is then fed via fiber optic cable to Denver, CO.
3) The signal received at Denver, CO. is then fed to DISH subs and also DirectTV

So - it appears that our Hawaii problems exist somewhere in that chain of transmissions.

Engineering told me that they monitor the signal and it is clear on their end.

Oceanic Time Warner has a direct fiber connection to their control room and so there is no problem on cable since they do not utilize the less expensive OTA methodology.

Not sure about KITV since they have their own procedure. Tonight (6/8/2013) KITV News is totally unwatchable. See the attached video to fully understand our dilemma.

Attachments

• IMG_0444.MOV
    4.6 MB · Views: 183
yep same here, KITV is absolutely horrendous, completey unwatchable tonight (Sat night)...I will call DirectTV on Monday with this info you got from KGMB/KHNL and see if that helps their engineers fix this once and for all...

Well all Hawaii Local HD channels are horrific tonight on Direct TV, not sure if you folks on Dish is also experiencing the same. If this isn't due to a fix occuring I may file a complaint with the Hawaii Consumer Protection Agency, and when I do I also recommend that all of you on Dish as well as all on Direct TV to do the same...the number is 808 586 2630

Stopped watching the Hawaii locals during the 5:30pm local news tonight. At that time, only the normal audio drops, picture freezes and choppiness on KHNL and kgmb.

Just as a point of reference, the other night during the hockey game On khnl - nbc affiliate- I ran a tally during the first period. From puck drop to the first period buzzer we had:
24 picture freezes/ pixelations
12 audio drops/ garbles
63 picture "choppiness" episodes - and those were just the ones I could keep up with and still watch the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)