HBO and Dolby Digital

olfenite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
I've been trying to figure this out, but haven't been having any luck. I was watching Game of Thrones last night and I can't get it to be in Dolby Digital. It only does Pro Logic II. I can get other channels to do Dolby Digital. I can't remember my settings right off the top of my head, but my receiver is a 7.2 Denon 1(only have 5.1 setup for now) and this really shouldn't be an issue. Is there something I'm missing in my settings?

Maybe a problem with last night's HBO feed. Watched today, but I id not bother to check the "sound" on the receiver read...never do, honestly.

I know that it was the same problem last week, and pretty much with all programs. Last Week Tonight was in pro logic II for last two weeks as well.

I'm not a crazy audiophile by any means, the program is still watchable. It's just kind of annoying and I'd love to figure out why it's doing it.

This is a hopper with sling btw.

I watched Thrones last night via my Hopper and through a 7.2 Denon AVR. I had 5.1 sound just fine. Is it only the HBO programming that you are having issues with?

For the best sound on GOT, log in to HBO GO using your Dish log in info on the Roku, GOT is in DD+ and most everything else is also, 1080P picture also.

Possible issues.
1) If you have the Dish receiver hooked up to the TV via HDMI and the optical out of the TV going to the receiver, DRM on the TV may be blocking the DD signal. Up until the last few years ALL TVs in the US blocked DD optical out from an outside HDMI source.
2) If you have an alternate audio track selected on your Dish Receiver (other than English), that will usually make the DD track fail even if there is no alternate audio available.
3) Be sure your Dish receiver is set to output DD in the Audio setup. DD/PCM > Line

Reactions: olfenite
3) Be sure your Dish receiver is set to output DD in the Audio setup. DD/PCM > Line
It was set to RF. That fixed it. Thanks a bunch!

Just out of curiosity, what is difference between line and RF? Besides, you know, making Dolby Digital not work on HBO.

It's really not supposed to affect the optical or HDMI output, but it does. From what I understand, RF mode mixes the DD signal to left and right stereo on the analog outputs. Line sends a pro-logic signal to the analog outputs.

Did anyone have problems with the audio this past Sunday ("Battle of the Bastards")? For about the first five or ten minutes, I only had two channel audio, then it switched to 5.1 surround about five or ten minutes in. This was on HBO-E. Then again yesterday, we watched the replay on HBO-E right before "After the Throne" and it had the same problem. This was with HDMI out from a ViP622 into a Denon AVR-X2200W.

Did anyone have problems with the audio this past Sunday ("Battle of the Bastards")? For about the first five or ten minutes, I only had two channel audio, then it switched to 5.1 surround about five or ten minutes in. This was on HBO-E. Then again yesterday, we watched the replay on HBO-E right before "After the Throne" and it had the same problem. This was with HDMI out from a ViP622 into a Denon AVR-X2200W.
I watched a recording of that episode that was on HBO-E at 6PM PDT on Sunday and it played back perfectly. I have a Hopper 3 that goes to my Denon via HDMI...

Same here. I watched the same program recorded at 9pm EDT with now audio issues. 622 receiver HDMI to TV, optical out of TV to receiver from Easter Arc. DD signal the whole time.

I know that it was the same problem last week, and pretty much with all programs. Last Week Tonight was in pro logic II for last two weeks as well.

For the record, I think Last Week Tonight is always in stereo. At least it is for me on Charter. It's basically a comedy talk show so it would make sense that they wouldn't bother to mix it for 5.1.

Game of Thrones has worked in DD 5.1 every week with Charter for me. I always have the lights off and the surround sound cranked for GoT episodes so I would have noticed if it wasn't.

I have noticed that my audio receiver always shows Pro Logic II during the "previously on Game of Thrones" segments. As soon as that static HBO logo appears right before the opening credit song kicks in it always switches over to Dolby Digital 5.1 though. Are you sure this isn't what you were seeing?

Reactions: TheLip
I have noticed that my audio receiver always shows Pro Logic II during the "previously on Game of Thrones" segments. As soon as that static HBO logo appears right before the opening credit song kicks in it always switches over to Dolby Digital 5.1 though. Are you sure this isn't what you were seeing?

Yes, I'm sure that wasn't it, as this lasted at least five minutes into the new episode. I've never experienced this before, normally the sound is 5.1 once into the new episode. Sounds like it was just me though. I have the recording from Sunday, so I'll investigate further.

I have noticed the same thing. It has been known to send me into a panic in the past.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts