HBO/CINEMAX Dropouts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fsds

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Folsom CA
For the past couple of nights HBO/CINEMAX is so bad picture quality 40 or less that the picture is un-watchable on G1 100 + channels that does not include Starz because their picture quality is fine. I understand others are having the same problem. Any idea who to contact .

fsds said:
For the past couple of nights HBO/CINEMAX is so bad picture quality 40 or less that the picture is un-watchable on G1 100 + channels that does not include Starz because their picture quality is fine. I understand others are having the same problem. Any idea who to contact .

Your dish needs to be aligned properly, the only people who have problems are the ones with undersized reflectors or ones who mis tune there dish, the feed may be off also.

I've been experiencing the same thing with the HBO channels the last couple days too. Over on Satforums, there's a post indicating that NPS has acknowledged there's a problem right now and has contacted Motorola and HBO. It seems like they've been playing with the these channels quite a bit since they switched sats. One day my quality is around 70, others it's 50. This while the other channels on the sat maintain a constant quality. The last day or two, it's in the low 50's during the day but drops to the mid to upper 30's at night.

Thanks for the info on NPS receiving complaints, my provider for HBO has also be notified. I have NPS for everything else but not HBO. I know my dish is aligned properly I even changed the LNB thinking mabye that was the problem. However I noticed on the 4DTV Forum other folks with the same problem.

iammike said:
I've been experiencing the same thing with the HBO channels the last couple days too. Over on Satforums, there's a post indicating that NPS has acknowledged there's a problem right now and has contacted Motorola and HBO. It seems like they've been playing with the these channels quite a bit since they switched sats. One day my quality is around 70, others it's 50. This while the other channels on the sat maintain a constant quality. The last day or two, it's in the low 50's during the day but drops to the mid to upper 30's at night.

I can't see Galaxy-15, though I called 3 buddys who are not to far from me, and they have no problems.

tdti1 said:
I can't see Galaxy-15, though I called 3 buddys who are not to far from me, and they have no problems.

My guess is folks with larger dishes like yours probably get such a high quality number to start with that fluxuations in the signal aren't really noticed. I'm also using bargain basement eagle aspen lnb's instead of Norsat's, which no doubt costs me a few points on quality too. That said, I'm currently getting 82 quality on the Starz channels and only 49 on HBO. I know the reduced error correction/more signal on the HBO channels accounts for some of that, but 33 points difference between transponders on the same sat seems like an awful lot. I think there's got to be some issues with the source too.

With my 8 footer

iammike said:
My guess is folks with larger dishes like yours probably get such a high quality number to start with that fluxuations in the signal aren't really noticed. I'm also using bargain basement eagle aspen lnb's instead of Norsat's, which no doubt costs me a few points on quality too. That said, I'm currently getting 82 quality on the Starz channels and only 49 on HBO. I know the reduced error correction/more signal on the HBO channels accounts for some of that, but 33 points difference between transponders on the same sat seems like an awful lot. I think there's got to be some issues with the source too.

I had lots of trouble with those pesky transponders until I REALLY got G15 PRECISELY tuned in with a Birdog meter. Even a slight bit off and they did not come in...really twitchy! My old trusty Norstat gets the signal (Norstat 8000) at about 60 PQ (Starz is over 90!)but I do not subscribe to HBO/Max...Starz always did really well on the same bird!

I dropped HBO/Max years ago when this first surfaced (they contiunued to crowd bandwith ) and never looked back!. 1st they stonewalled it...later admitting it!

jeff

Last edited:
There's definitely something going on with G15. I just checked, and I'm getting HBO and Starz tonight, but just barely on HBO. I did mispeak earlier though. It looks like the quality is down on all channels. The 82 I had on Starz this afternoon is now a 59, and the 49 I had on HBO is now a 42. Don't know what they're doing, but I think they have to be playing with that sat. My guess is they tweaked HBO a little, since it didn't drop off as much tonight as it did last night.

Jeff, I'm thinking I'm probably already tuned in pretty well since I normally get in the 50's with my cheapy eagle aspens. Of course with all the complaining, I rarely watch HBO on G1. I always record the HD feed on G9 with my r5000 mod and watch it later. My recording of Revenge of the Sith from last night is awesome. :D

Hi Mike...

iammike said:
There's definitely something going on with G15. I just checked, and I'm getting HBO and Starz tonight, but just barely on HBO. I did mispeak earlier though. It looks like the quality is down on all channels. The 82 I had on Starz this afternoon is now a 59, and the 49 I had on HBO is now a 42. Don't know what they're doing, but I think they have to be playing with that sat. My guess is they tweaked HBO a little, since it didn't drop off as much tonight as it did last night.

Jeff, I'm thinking I'm probably already tuned in pretty well since I normally get in the 50's with my cheapy eagle aspens. Of course with all the complaining, I rarely watch HBO on G1. I always record the HD feed on G9 with my r5000 mod and watch it later. My recording of Revenge of the Sith from last night is awesome. :D

Hi Mike
This is really wierd...just checked again and Starz on G1 is it's usual strong self 87-90...the few HBO/Max transponders are their usual crummy signals between 48-52 pq...i wonder if it has to do with where you are (wild guess) in the footprint??

Can't see the Pic on the HBO stuff since I am not subscribed, but Starz is loud and strong! Hope things improve for those affected...Glad to hear you are enjoying your R5000 mod! I like my HDD200 too! Discovery Channel HD is simply beautiful...they use HD cams to record content...Have a good one!
regards
jeff

Hey Jeff,

After I posted last night, I checked my signal strength again and noticed that I hadn't repeaked my G1 signal since playing with it earlier in the day. When I did, Starz and HBO were back to the same quality, 82 and 49, as earlier. HBO is still lower than it should be, but at least it's not falling to unwatchable levels now. I get DiscoveryHD too. I agree, it's the best quality HD I've seen. I've seen some of their programs in the 16Mbit range when analyzed with TSReader. The higher bandwidth coupled with HD cameras makes for a really nice picture. I've added a few of their programs to my HD archive.

Cable,

Thanks for the confirmation. They must be working on it since the signal quality didn't drop off last night like the prior 2 nights.

Mike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)