HBO & Cinemax for $20 a month for 6 months

for what it is worth;
I received an email from Dish last week offering a $5 per month discount on HBO for 6 months with the offer expiring at the end of April. The email gave a Dish number to accept the offer. It does not show up online in My Offers.

Instead of cutting the cord, you could also drop your base programming to a lower one like Welcome Pack, Smart Pack, Dish America, America's Top 120, Dish Latino Basico/Clasico/Plus/Dos, etc. and still sub to HBO. However, I would compare packages for what you really want in terms of channels and price.

Yes, the Welcome Pack is an attractive alternative, but even with that, I'd be paying ~$40/month with equipment fees and taxes, not including HBO. I'd really prefer to get away from a monthly bill going to channels I don't ever watch. I've done the math, and, based on our viewing habits, my wife and I could cut our TV entertainment expenses about in half by dropping pay-tv in favor of streaming and OTA. In our cost analysis, getting the DVD/Blu-Ray of GOT was the cheapest way to go, assuming there aren't other things you'd want to get on disc from Netflix, and you're willing to wait for it.

In addition to saving money, the idea that we'd not be just gluttonous mouths at the end of a pipe filled with mostly distasteful consumables is appealing to us. We'd prefer to pick and choose what we subscribe to and limit what we pay to just those things. We may pay more for those things compared to what we pay for the aggregate channels in a cable or satellite package, but we watch so little of what we're paying for now, we'd still end up ahead at the end of the day, more money would go directly to the content producers of what we like, and we'll be exposed to fewer commercials and the interruptions they introduce into the experience.

Anyway, that is just my perspective. Others probably feel different.

-Ted

iTunes and Amazon are a year behind.

Ok , didn't know. I haven't watched True Blood since last summer , so I can wait till the episodes finally hit Amazon. There are other ways to get episodes online , but I won't talk about that, since they come from a European website.:cool:

Ok , didn't know. I haven't watched True Blood since last summer , so I can wait till the episodes finally hit Amazon. There are other ways to get episodes online , but I won't talk about that, since they come from a European website.:cool:

Or you can just wait until the last month of the season and subscribe to HBO for one month. Even if you can't get any discount on HBO, which is unlikely, you would only pay $19 if you can watch the whole season in that month. That would be cheaper than buying the episodes and you wouldn't have to wait a year. Plus any other show you watch on HBO Go during that month is basically an added freebie you wouldn't have got buying from iTunes/amazon.

Normally I'm a big supporter of getting what you want from OTA and streaming. I rely on iTunes season passes for several shows. With everything outside of the premium channels it's not a bad way to do it because you get the episode the next morning with no commercials and no monthly cable bill. With HBO holding their series back a year and HBO Go being so good I really think it makes more sense just to subscribe for a month or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

for what it is worth;
I received an email from Dish last week offering a $5 per month discount on HBO for 6 months with the offer expiring at the end of April. The email gave a Dish number to accept the offer. It does not show up online in My Offers.

I just called them and got this deal. It was either $5 off HBO for six months or HBO and Cinemax for $20.

If you first subscribe to a premium, such as HBO, at full price, you can get it for half off. The "secret" is to attempt to cancel it online. Dish will automatically offer you that premium at 50% off for 6 months. That would essentially make HBO $9. Not sure if it works for HBO, but I have used it for Starz, Blockbuster, and Heartland within the past month. YMMV, but this has been reported to work by several people.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I know Directv have HBO/Cinemax for $18.99 which is the usual 2 for 1 deal. They did gave me half off on Cinemax, But it wasn't worth it so I canceled after 30 days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Or you can just wait until the last month of the season and subscribe to HBO for one month. Even if you can't get any discount on HBO, which is unlikely, you would only pay $19 if you can watch the whole season in that month. That would be cheaper than buying the episodes and you wouldn't have to wait a year. Plus any other show you watch on HBO Go during that month is basically an added freebie you wouldn't have got buying from iTunes/amazon.

Normally I'm a big supporter of getting what you want from OTA and streaming. I rely on iTunes season passes for several shows. With everything outside of the premium channels it's not a bad way to do it because you get the episode the next morning with no commercials and no monthly cable bill. With HBO holding their series back a year and HBO Go being so good I really think it makes more sense just to subscribe for a month or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, I thought about doing the one month purchase of HBO at the end of the True Blood series and get it all on HBO Go before. I could go that way if nothing else works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)