HBO/Cinemax Takedown

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yeah, AEP hasn't been a good deal for a while from what I can tell. If Charter had Dish-Quality hardware and software, or heck, even DirecTV-Quality hardware and software, I might consider it, given the Internet bundles they offer. if Charter did a good job supporting cable-cards, I might get a Tivo and some Minis and be happy, but, at least in my legacy TWC market, SDV tuning adapters are still really buggy how ever many years since they were introduced, and PQ on the SDV channels locally is poor...like worse-than-DSL-Uverse-poor. Bit-starved MPEG2 is not pretty. As it is, Dish suits my needs best for a number of reasons.

Seriously, I am glad you are happy with your Charter service. I meant no offense when I referred to you as a fanboy, but honestly, I couldn't think of a better term for someone who spends their time extolling Spectrum in a Dish forum. Evangelist maybe? Anyway, it is nice to know someone feels like they are getting their money's worth.

I really could careless what people choose as their TV/Internet/Phone provider. I have no stake in any provider, it doesn’t bother me. But when I see something that is incorrect, I will call it out. What forum it is, is irrelevant. If I read something that is incorrect or misleading I will speak up. I really don’t even look at specific forums, I just look at the Recent Posts panel on the left side of the home page and if I see something of interest, I click on it.

I have had Dish on two separate stints dating back to the late 90s and the mess that was the DishPlayer 7100, they are nothing special. Had DirecTV twice as well and continue to have them while I have Charter. As someone who has no strong emotional ties to any TV provider, and as someone who has experienced all of them that are available to me, it is easy to see that this site is incredibly biased towards Dish.

If you are someone like me who wants the premium channels, I’m not sure how it’s even debatable that I am getting my moneys worth. The TV portion of my bill including set tops and DVRs is $150. (TV Gold $105, Broadcast Fee $10, 2 STBs @ $7.50 ea, DVR $20). That’s the price of programming alone with AEP with no set top or DVR fees. And with DirecTV a close equivalent would run around $185 when all is said and done. How can’t I be getting my money’s worth? Why is Dish Network more and they don’t even carry the four NY RSNs because they said it’s too expensive? How can Charter carry them and they cost less? I don't really care about them, but how can Charter carry the Univision Networks but not Dish? Univision is only included in the Spanish add on tier for $9, along with about 100 other channel channels. I could add that and still be better off than Dish. How can DirecTV cost so much more and not carry things I get on Charter, like the Epix suite and all 7 PAC12 Network channels?

You only see me as an evangelist or fanboy or whatever because I am speaking from an opposite perspective and it is not the norm at this site.

Most of my other comments in this thread were related to phone and internet service. I have no idea why people are not getting the correct rates but you have to actively call Charter and make sure you are getting the correct and best rates available. Case in point, I had Ultra Internet at $95 for 120 x 10. They increased the speed to 300 x 20 for existing customers, but Ultra was actually increased to 400 x 20 and the price decreased to $80. They use different billing codes. Had I not been planning to upgrade to Gig I will have called in a New York minute to get my speed increased and rate decreased. I am not doubting anyone the rates they are paying, I am simply saying those rates are to my knowledge incorrect and Charter should be called and ask why the posted rates are not being honored. While they may be some very subtle differences, I haven't seen any, under SPP and SPP2 99.9% of Charter customers should be paying the exact same rate for the exact same level of service no matter where they live and no matter if they're L-Charter, L-TWC or L-BHN. Intro rates may vary depending on competition though.

Reactions: dishrich
Charter spectrum new customer rates are the same in all markets. There are a few areas such as college towns where they have slightly better offers for back to school, but for the most part the rates on charter are the same nationwide.

As far as Charter pricing. You are correct they have the best pricing of all providers.

The key to any good deal is bundling internet. Dish is NOT an internet service provider, and even though AT&T owns Directv, their internet coverage is hit and miss with the real value being in the limited areas they offer fiber.

For those Real Time fans, I just finished watching an ep uploaded on YouTube via my Roku 3. Actually there are several uploads so check whichever has the best quality. Im surprised they are still on YouTube 24+ hours after the episode aired. The one I watched seemed slightly less 720p quality but I still enjoyed it enough. If you have a smart TV with a youtube app or a device like a Roku/AppleTV/Chromecast etc then all is not lost.

For a show like Real time I can deal with a substandard rip, but for the GoT fans I'd probably be a lot more annoyed. But if you know how to sail the seas then its not that hard if you get my drift. Honestly I just don't miss HBO at all after this blackout. Granted aside from Real Time with Bill Maher (which is over with until next Jan) I didn't really watch anything else aside from the occasional movie. But even if HBO comes back tomorrow, I think Im going to cancel and just switch to StarzHD/Epix instead. Funny how a blackout like this has opened my eyes to how much money I was wasting on a package I barely used. HBO just isn't all that any more, at least if you're someone who doesn't really care for their original series, or at least knows how to get them via other ways if need be.

For those Real Time fans, I just finished watching an ep uploaded on YouTube via my Roku 3. Actually there are several uploads so check whichever has the best quality. Im surprised they are still on YouTube 24+ hours after the episode aired. The one I watched seemed slightly less 720p quality but I still enjoyed it enough. If you have a smart TV with a youtube app or a device like a Roku/AppleTV/Chromecast etc then all is not lost.

For a show like Real time I can deal with a substandard rip, but for the GoT fans I'd probably be a lot more annoyed. But if you know how to sail the seas then its not that hard if you get my drift. Honestly I just don't miss HBO at all after this blackout. Granted aside from Real Time with Bill Maher (which is over with until next Jan) I didn't really watch anything else aside from the occasional movie. But even if HBO comes back tomorrow, I think Im going to cancel and just switch to StarzHD/Epix instead. Funny how a blackout like this has opened my eyes to how much money I was wasting on a package I barely used. HBO just isn't all that any more, at least if you're someone who doesn't really care for their original series, or at least knows how to get them via other ways if need be.
Last week a 1080 version was still on there 3 days later. Regardless, I dropped HBO and added Showtime for 10 bucks. Lots of Boxing on Showtime. I wonder who's going to broadcast all those fights HBO won't be at anymore

I really could careless what people choose as their TV/Internet/Phone provider. I have no stake in any provider, it doesn’t bother me. But when I see something that is incorrect, I will call it out. What forum it is, is irrelevant. If I read something that is incorrect or misleading I will speak up. I really don’t even look at specific forums, I just look at the Recent Posts panel on the left side of the home page and if I see something of interest, I click on it.

I have had Dish on two separate stints dating back to the late 90s and the mess that was the DishPlayer 7100, they are nothing special. Had DirecTV twice as well and continue to have them while I have Charter. As someone who has no strong emotional ties to any TV provider, and as someone who has experienced all of them that are available to me, it is easy to see that this site is incredibly biased towards Dish.

If you are someone like me who wants the premium channels, I’m not sure how it’s even debatable that I am getting my moneys worth. The TV portion of my bill including set tops and DVRs is $150. (TV Gold $105, Broadcast Fee $10, 2 STBs @ $7.50 ea, DVR $20). That’s the price of programming alone with AEP with no set top or DVR fees. And with DirecTV a close equivalent would run around $185 when all is said and done. How can’t I be getting my money’s worth? Why is Dish Network more and they don’t even carry the four NY RSNs because they said it’s too expensive? How can Charter carry them and they cost less? I don't really care about them, but how can Charter carry the Univision Networks but not Dish? Univision is only included in the Spanish add on tier for $9, along with about 100 other channel channels. I could add that and still be better off than Dish. How can DirecTV cost so much more and not carry things I get on Charter, like the Epix suite and all 7 PAC12 Network channels?

You only see me as an evangelist or fanboy or whatever because I am speaking from an opposite perspective and it is not the norm at this site.

Most of my other comments in this thread were related to phone and internet service. I have no idea why people are not getting the correct rates but you have to actively call Charter and make sure you are getting the correct and best rates available. Case in point, I had Ultra Internet at $95 for 120 x 10. They increased the speed to 300 x 20 for existing customers, but Ultra was actually increased to 400 x 20 and the price decreased to $80. They use different billing codes. Had I not been planning to upgrade to Gig I will have called in a New York minute to get my speed increased and rate decreased. I am not doubting anyone the rates they are paying, I am simply saying those rates are to my knowledge incorrect and Charter should be called and ask why the posted rates are not being honored. While they may be some very subtle differences, I haven't seen any, under SPP and SPP2 99.9% of Charter customers should be paying the exact same rate for the exact same level of service no matter where they live and no matter if they're L-Charter, L-TWC or L-BHN. Intro rates may vary depending on competition though.
I have Hopper 3 with Wireless Joey, Top 250, Showtime, Dish Movie pack for $127.00 and haven't tried to lower my bill in over 2 years, so I could probably call and get a better price. I do pay an extra $80.00 for internet from a provider that has Fiber, but is probably about 10 times faster than anything I've ever seen from Charter and that speed is important to me

I started to write a lengthy response, and then I realized you suggested that Dish hardware is "nothing special" based on an ancient STB. That is flawed reasoning. If DirecTV and Spectrum are suiting your needs, great. Have a nice day.

I have Hopper 3 with Wireless Joey, Top 250, Showtime, Dish Movie pack for $127.00 and haven't tried to lower my bill in over 2 years, so I could probably call and get a better price. I do pay an extra $80.00 for internet from a provider that has Fiber, but is probably about 10 times faster than anything I've ever seen from Charter and that speed is important to me

My Dish bill is $70 and my Fiber Internet is $50 (for life, whatever that means). I could not get those prices on Spectrum in the long run.

Reactions: pattykay
Best Buy has the $25 hbo now gift cards on sale for $15 right now on their website with free shipping. They have a lot of their black friday deals online right now btw

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yep, bought 9 of them ( 3 at a time to beat the limit), costs $135 for $225 worth of cards, so at $14.99 a month for HBO Now means 15 months at $9 a month.

Retiring next summer so time to binge on shows never watched like Veep and Curb.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: darrengs

Spectrum Internet Gig is Driving to the End Zone | Charter Communications Newsroom Spectrum Internet Gig is Driving to the End Zone

Charter launched Gigabit over copper about a year ago starting in Hawaii. As analog cable channels are being removed, DOCSIS 3.1 is launching and Gigabit is becoming available. Most of their footprint should have it by year end. Speed is rated for 940 x 35. Once full duplex DOCSIS 3.1 standards are approved by Cable Labs upload speed should be improved significantly. Current modems being handed out support 8 upstream channels in preparation for better upload. Probably not to the symmetrical gig that fiber providers have, but hopefully to a couple hundred megabits. Current actual provisioned rates are 1200 x 40, but since the modems have gigabit ethernet there is no way to get that download speed if you have other networking gear that supports it. The first D3.1 modem given out has two WAN ports that could be bonded together to support higher speeds with a firmware update. Price is higher then what you pay, I pay $115, which is a little cheaper then their cable peers with similar speed tiers, but more then some fiber providers.

I wish Charter would have done what Altice is doing with their former Optimum territory. Skipping D3.1 and go straight to fiber, but I can understand the reasoning. Altice is so much smaller, and their territory is condensed to just downstate NY, Jersey and CT

For fastest residential broadband, I think Comcast wins that with their symmetrical 2 Gbps fiber tier. For enterprise DIA, both Comcast and Charter max out at 10 Gbps symmetrical fiber.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I started to write a lengthy response, and then I realized you suggested that Dish hardware is "nothing special" based on an ancient STB. That is flawed reasoning. If DirecTV and Spectrum are suiting your needs, great. Have a nice day.

I sense hostility. I wasn’t taking about hardware specifically, I was talking about the service in general. Dish Network is nothing special. Just like DirecTV is nothing special unless you want NFL Sunday Ticket. Just like Charter is nothing special. To me the hardware is not the end all be all. I fail to see what is so magical about about the latest generation hardware, the Hopper 3 and even with all of it’s features that I don’t really have a use for. If I had one, I still wouldn't have been able to watch my Sabres get their fifth win in a row on it last night. For me, content is king, not hardware. Dish could have the best hardware on the planet, but if they keep dropping channels, what good is that fancy hardware?

I mentioned the 7100 to show that I’ve had a long-term interest in in this stuff and been around satellite for two decades. I had a couple model 2700s with the old AT60 packages when I signed up and later replaced one with the 7100. Went DishPro with the 301 and 501 and later got a 508. Switched to DirecTV and had a second generation DirecTiVo because of the lack of name-based recordings and 1 tuner DVRs with Dish. The 721 seemed way too buggy to put up with so I switched to D*. Hated the TiVo interface with a passion but I liked the reliability and eventually went back to Dish and got one of their new DVRs at the time that supported name-based recordings, can’t remember if it was the 622 or 722. Didn’t have it all that long, maybe a couple of years as then in the Fall of 2010 MSG was removed and that’s when I got Time Warner and then added DirecTV back for redundancy and NFL ST.

My point is that I am not married to a TV service provider like a good amount of people on this site are.

[QUOTE="EarDemon, post: 4304783, member: 195281". For me, content is king, not hardware. Dish could have the best hardware on the planet, but if they keep dropping channels, what good is that fancy hardware?.[/QUOTE]

The fancy hardware is very good. Thanks for asking.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I've been happily married to DISH since 2005. Divorce is not an option.

I've been with Dish off and on since it was founded. My parents have had Dish since 2001.

They've consistently bent over backwards to take care of us. I have a loyalty. That's a damn rare thing these days and not something I would say about a company very often.

I received $11.50 credit on my bill for HBO and am getting some Epix channels free for 1 month which I didn’t ask for but am happy to have. Is the Epix add also due to losing HBO?

I sense hostility. I wasn’t taking about hardware specifically, I was talking about the service in general. Dish Network is nothing special. Just like DirecTV is nothing special unless you want NFL Sunday Ticket. Just like Charter is nothing special. To me the hardware is not the end all be all. I fail to see what is so magical about about the latest generation hardware, the Hopper 3 and even with all of it’s features that I don’t really have a use for. If I had one, I still wouldn't have been able to watch my Sabres get their fifth win in a row on it last night. For me, content is king, not hardware. Dish could have the best hardware on the planet, but if they keep dropping channels, what good is that fancy hardware?

I mentioned the 7100 to show that I’ve had a long-term interest in in this stuff and been around satellite for two decades. I had a couple model 2700s with the old AT60 packages when I signed up and later replaced one with the 7100. Went DishPro with the 301 and 501 and later got a 508. Switched to DirecTV and had a second generation DirecTiVo because of the lack of name-based recordings and 1 tuner DVRs with Dish. The 721 seemed way too buggy to put up with so I switched to D*. Hated the TiVo interface with a passion but I liked the reliability and eventually went back to Dish and got one of their new DVRs at the time that supported name-based recordings, can’t remember if it was the 622 or 722. Didn’t have it all that long, maybe a couple of years as then in the Fall of 2010 MSG was removed and that’s when I got Time Warner and then added DirecTV back for redundancy and NFL ST.

My point is that I am not married to a TV service provider like a good amount of people on this site are.

Not hostility really. I just realized we don't really have the same priorities when it comes to this stuff. I truly think it is good that you are happy with your Charter and DirecTV service. Like you, I have a long-term interest in this topic, although not quite as long as you. My first DVR was a Sony SD DirecTivo. I've had DirecTV 3 times, Dish 3 times, went OTA + Streaming once, and have tried TWC/Spectrum more times than I can remember. I will say this for Spectrum, no contract is really nice. If it tells you anything, I've left DirecTV before my contract was up all three times. The first time didn't cost me anything since I had paid retail for my HR10-250, so returning it avoided any fees. TWC paid my DirecTV cancellation fee the second time, and no LOS at my new house helped me avoid it the third time. Excluding my current contract, I've always kept Dish past the contract expiration, and I expect that will be the case this time as well. You mention content being king, and that is truly a big priority, but what content matters for different people can vary widely. When I look at my Timers on Dish, everything except Premium channel originals (Silicon Valley, GoT, Outlander) are either on local channels, Comedy Central, or TBS. Literally everything else we watch is on Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, Hulu or something else. We don't watch virtually any sports, so that sounds like yet another different perspective. So, given the relatively low content requirements we have, Hardware and Software feature much more prominently for us, as we want things to work well, not have conflicts, be extremely capable, etc. Because we are not beholden to a particular provider to see content we want, we can be much more discerning about other things, and, as a technologist, having the most technologically advanced (within reason) equipment is interesting as well. I don't use all the Hopper3 features, but the primary functionality is quite extraordinary.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)