HBO/Cinemax Takedown

Yep, bought 9 of them ( 3 at a time to beat the limit), costs $135 for $225 worth of cards, so at $14.99 a month for HBO Now means 15 months at $9 a month.

Retiring next summer so time to binge on shows never watched like Veep and Curb.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Just received the Gift Cards, I have HBO Now until Feb.20, 2020.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Like Scott posted in that article, I don't think this is a common contract dispute. I think AT&T just simply pulled the channels - which was my fear when they bought HBO.

Dish is offering free HDNet Movies in the meantime, btw - small pittance, but probably the best they can do
This reminds me of c band subscription days. ...it is starting

Sent from my SM-G955U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Comcast is go to offer a free weekend to increase it subscription base for HBO I really don’t think it will work It might be that their contract is coming to a end

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: navychop
It's not just Comcast, this is a programming provider sanctioned free previews, the majority of MSOs that carry HBO & Max will have the free preview. Quite often free previews are centered around season or series premiers of original programming.

The love of my life Charter, for whatever reason never does not participate any free previews. Including the typical first week and mid-season week of all of the season sports subscription packages and ironically enough, with the buyout of TWC and BHN they are now 1/3 owners of INDemand. Having TV Gold, I don't care about free previews so much, the one I miss is the month long free preview of TV Japan in the Fall. Being in HD, in MPEG 4 and having some high quality source material, TV Japan had visually some of the highest quality and least compressed TV I've ever seen.

Reactions: pattykay
Not hostility really. I just realized we don't really have the same priorities when it comes to this stuff. I truly think it is good that you are happy with your Charter and DirecTV service. Like you, I have a long-term interest in this topic, although not quite as long as you. My first DVR was a Sony SD DirecTivo. I've had DirecTV 3 times, Dish 3 times, went OTA + Streaming once, and have tried TWC/Spectrum more times than I can remember. I will say this for Spectrum, no contract is really nice. If it tells you anything, I've left DirecTV before my contract was up all three times. The first time didn't cost me anything since I had paid retail for my HR10-250, so returning it avoided any fees. TWC paid my DirecTV cancellation fee the second time, and no LOS at my new house helped me avoid it the third time. Excluding my current contract, I've always kept Dish past the contract expiration, and I expect that will be the case this time as well. You mention content being king, and that is truly a big priority, but what content matters for different people can vary widely. When I look at my Timers on Dish, everything except Premium channel originals (Silicon Valley, GoT, Outlander) are either on local channels, Comedy Central, or TBS. Literally everything else we watch is on Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, Hulu or something else. We don't watch virtually any sports, so that sounds like yet another different perspective. So, given the relatively low content requirements we have, Hardware and Software feature much more prominently for us, as we want things to work well, not have conflicts, be extremely capable, etc. Because we are not beholden to a particular provider to see content we want, we can be much more discerning about other things, and, as a technologist, having the most technologically advanced (within reason) equipment is interesting as well. I don't use all the Hopper3 features, but the primary functionality is quite extraordinary.

Yes, different perspective and different priorities.

Outside of live events and primetime programming on Fox News and Newsmax, Showtime, Cinemax and HBO are my most recorded channels in that order. Add in TNT, FX, USA and the Discovery family of networks for their various collections of paranormal shows and you’ve got the vast majority of the 70+ series that I record. Watched my Sabres with their 8th in a row yesterday. Amazing how I can do that on Charter and not on Dish, and Charter is considerably less per month. I watch more original programming on Cinemax than I do all on all of the OTA network combined. Which is limited to Last Man Standing, Blue Bloods and Bob’s Burgers. OTA TV is completely useless to me outside of those three shows and NASCAR racing.

Literally almost nothing I care to watch it on Netflix or Prime Video. Good thing I don’t pay extra for either. The only reason I have Netflix is because it’s included with my T-Mobile subscription. I would rather have my cell phone bill reduced then have ‘free’ Netflix. My work pays for my yearly Amazon Prime subscription since we don’t have a company Amazon account, and we when can’t source IT items through our normal vendor, Amazon has it and it’s typically Prime eligible. Besides checking out the original Gone In 60 Seconds, I could not and still find a single thing worth watching on Amazon Prime without paying extra. Besides three of their original series and some paranormal shows Netflix is of no value to me. It’s all stuff I’ve seen before or C grade filler material no one cares about. And with the amount of content they’re losing on a regular basis as more and more content companies offer their own streaming services, eventually Netflix will just be a collection of their own content.

If I had Dish Network and that super duper amazing Hopper 3 I wouldn’t have watched any TV yesterday. No Sabres game on MSG, no Tales From The Tour Bus on Max, no Room 104 on HBO. I’d still have The Joe Pags Show but it would be SD only. As long as a DVR records the shows I tell it to and has up to date guide data, I fail to see what is so special about about a particular DVR.

We were staying in a hotel over the Thanksgiving holiday and they used Dish as their provider. Even though the guide had HBO in the guide and had programming information, attempting to tune into the channel resulted in a black screen. I wonder if the front desk got any calls about this?

It was an LG TV and hanging off the back of the TV was an LG Android TV box with hotel-specific customizations. One option was "Apps" which included Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Showtime, and HBO Go. HBO Go worked just fine, so we were able to watch the season-end episode of "Last Week Tonight". It didn't look like it had a Live TV option, although the Showtime app did.

I think this is not going to be resolved soon.

I don’t think enough customers have called in to complain, threatened to cancel service or HBO would be back already.

I don’t see either side budging on this issue. Unless Charlie gives in, I think there is a good chance that HBO will never be on Dish again

I don’t think AT&T cares if HBO is ever on dish either.

I was prepared for a slew of calls following the HBO/Cinemax takedown. Unlike every DISH channel dispute in the last 18 years, I have yet to receive a single call on this one. I understand my customer base is a small sample size but it is surprising none the less.

I was prepared for a slew of calls following the HBO/Cinemax takedown. Unlike every DISH channel dispute in the last 18 years, I have yet to receive a single call on this one. I understand my customer base is a small sample size but it is surprising none the less.

HBO isn't the service it once was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)